Skip to main content

OVO Plus Tesco offer? Is this legitimate?

Not sure if this is common knowledge but I just found this on my app, you can link your Tesco Club Card with OVO and receive £25 Club Card points.

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Thanks @Lucky2 

It does indeed seem to work! Just waiting for my clubcard points.

Userlevel 4

You are very welcome @BeePee 👍

Why is it only customers with smart meters eligible for this deal?

Userlevel 7

Well it would take me over ½ hour each way to reach my nearest Tesco so not much use to me either.

But at least they are trying to get other promotions out rather than just tickets for a concert in a  big arena in a city “Far far away”*.

*(Slade song from 1974 - if you don't know it already you will like it).

The usual story - there is always a catch with  promotions. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Why is it only customers with smart meters eligible for this deal?

That would be an incentive to upgrade. If you’ve already met all the conditions, you might as well grab the loot if you want it. Otherwise, it’s an incentive to get people to upgrade to Smart Meters and replace some of the ancient ones that are reaching End of Service Life and then claim the reward for doing so.

Likewise, there was an incentive to get people to visit OVO’s Bristol HQ recently for an event (sorry, that event has already been and gone!), which was a £50 gift card, a £50 gift box, free lunch and all reasonable travel expenses covered such as your mileage or train/bus fares. Mostly just a way to sweeten the deal and encourage people to go by making it worth their time.

You can’t force people to do stuff, but if you make it tempting to consider, you’ll get people’s attention willingly.

Thanks for your reply. I realise it was an incentive to change to a smart meter, just seemed a bit unfair for those of us who don't want to change, but still pay our bills like everyone else. I didn't realise OVO have rewards- might check in now and again - tho there might be a catch!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

True, but it’s going to happen eventually regardless. Meters only have a finite service life and once it runs out, they have to get replaced. Traditional (Non-Smart) Meters are no longer manufactured because there’s no demand for them, so the chances of your next meter being Smart are about 98%.

I would qualify for this but since I’ve had no access to my account since last April not sure how I will be able to get this offer. Will try calling since that’s what I have to do for any query or submit meter readings. Is no one else still really disappointed that this is taking so long ? 

Userlevel 4

Hi @juneoid 

Sorry to hear about you having issues with being able to access your online account for so long. 

Just wondering if you managed to reach out to OVO’s customer support and get a fix for this? Hopefully, if you do meet all of the requirements, one of our agents was able to get this benefit linked to your account for you?

Would be great to know for anyone else that finds themselves in this position 👍

I meet all the requirements that are mentioned but still no joy in getting the benefit linked to my account. It was escalated to your complaints department and someone would contact us in 24/48 hours but that hasn’t happened to date. Also asked for email re new price changes as from 1st July as we can’t access account to see this. Again still waiting. 

Userlevel 4

Hi @juneoid,

I’m sorry to hear this. 

I’m going to have our Forum_Support team reach out to you so they can help you further with this. Look out for a private message here soon: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Well it would take me over ½ hour each way to reach my nearest Tesco so not much use to me either.

But at least they are trying to get other promotions out rather than just tickets for a concert in a  big arena in a city “Far far away”*.

*(Slade song from 1974 - if you don't know it already you will like it).

Agreed.  I’ve just had an email from Ovo giving Ovo Live offers.  But it involves either 300 miles travel to London at huge expense or 150 miles to Glasgow at large expense. Neither location are at all suitable unless you’re local or well off.  I’d much rather that Ovo returned to giving interest on my current balance which would benefit more people instead of having gimmicks for a minority.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As we’ve mentioned here previously a few times now, the reason OVO Interest Reward got terminated was because OVO had no choice. The primary reasons included:

• Ofgem Request - OVO Interest Reward ran under special permission from Ofgem but had a clause that it was to be “Open To Recall” and be terminated on request from Ofgem. Ofgem triggered that clause a couple of years ago, but allowed it to continue to run for a bit longer for existing customers - this allowance has since expired - OVO was required to shut it down as a result
  • Viability - with so many customers on the price capped Simpler Energy tariff right now, it’s financially unviable to run OVO IR because the markup simply isn’t there anymore with the current market conditions
  • SSE transfer - this would have literally exploded the bill for OVO IR to excessively high levels

It’s worth remembering that the OVO Interest Reward was designed in a time where the market was more stable and OVO was less than half the current size it is today. What was viable - and possible - to do back then no longer is today. These are ultimately the reasons why it was killed off