Solved

I've got no power supply, national grid confirm it's not a power cut and nothing odd on fuse box - How can I get help from OVO on the weekend?

Show first post

70 replies

Weā€™ve been without power for 24 hours now. Itā€™s only our houseĀ thatā€™s affected, and nothing has tripped on the fuse board.Ā 
We had a new ā€˜smart meterā€™ fitted on 28th. The Ovo engineers told us that it wasnā€™t working properly, and promised to come back and fix it - but havenā€™t. This is the second outage since then.Ā 
I spent all day yesterday either in a queue for theĀ online emergency helpline, or holding on the telephone hotline, (nearly three hours), without getting through to anyone that could actually help.Ā 

Itā€™s driving us nuts. Son unable to do online homework yesterday, food in fridge and freezer will probably need chucking, not to mention the cold.Ā 
This is immenselyĀ frustrating. I think weā€™re going to have to contact Ofgen because this is totally unacceptable.Ā 
Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

HiĀ @Jim DuttonĀ 

Sorry to hear that, I am just a customer like you.

Out of hours support is a general issue in the industry. Your experience isn't unusual unfortunately when trying to get support out of hours.

For electricity out of hours the best bet is either 105 to see if your local network operator can help or sometimes the official ovo twitter or Facebook feeds where you can send a direct message to ovo. You would need to include your name, address, account number and date of birth to get passed security.

Hopefully you will have more luck when ovo opens this morning.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help#contact_us_container

Ofgem don't handle individual customer issues.Ā You need to raise an official complaint with ovo

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Then if you are not happy you you can ask the Energy Ombudsman for help

https://www.energyombudsman.org/

If you are not happy you may also wish to post a review on trustpilot

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

Ā 

Userlevel 6

HeyĀ @Jim DuttonĀ 

Ā 

Sorry to hear about the trouble youā€™re having.

Ā 

Have you contacted the Support Team this morning like Jeffus has recommended? If the meter is the issue, theyā€™ll be able to get someone out to get that fixed.Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge

ā€¦ food in fridge and freezer will probably need chucking, not to mention the cold.Ā 
Ā 

We had a power cut , too. I realized that it was colder outside than inside the fridge, so its contents spent the night in a binbag on the back doorstep, and no harm done.Ā 

Stuff in a freezer isnā€™t likely to get anywhere near thawing out in a few hours, so just keep it closed and hope for the best.

Ā Ā 

Yes, and two engineers have just arrived, and are replacing the meter. Fingers crossed it works. Weā€™ve been without power for 28 hours so far. Will have to throw out the contents of our fridge and freezer.Ā 

I havenā€™t opened the freezer, but I imagine it will be unsafe after 28t hours turned off?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I havenā€™t opened the freezer, but I imagine it will be unsafe after 28t hours turned off?

Might be worth checkingĀ https://www.foodsafety.gov/food-safety-charts/food-safety-during-power-outage#:~:text=A%20full%20freezer%20will%20hold,food%20to%20determine%20its%20safety.

Ā 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Just to add: most household contents insurance policies cover freezer contents damaged as a result of a power cut.Ā Ā 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Jim DuttonĀ 

Ā 

Glad to hear the engineers have been out to get that fixed.

Ā 

Like BPLightlog has posted, the freezer should typically be okay for up to 48 hours unopened, but Firedog has also left a great comment maybe worth checking your own policy if youā€™ve got one?Ā 

Just to add: most household contents insurance policies cover freezer contents damaged as a result of a power cut.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Hope everything is back running smoothly again, let us know if thereā€™s anything else we can do to help.šŸ™‚

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can vouch for that as well. The terms of my home insurance also cover loss of freezer food - thereā€™s a limit to the value but itā€™s enough for 99% of cases.

I would suggest you consider carefully as to whether to make such a claim however - you would potentially lose your No Claims Discount which may end up costing you more than what you lost in the freezer.

I have a tenant with a PAYG meter, her power is cutting out every 10-15 seconds. Sheā€™s been in contact with OVO as it seems clear there is an issue with the meter. OVO have advised to get an electrician out. Our electrician says its the meter so nothing he can do about it. What do we do next? I canā€™t leave my tenant without power, this has been going on for days

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

HiĀ @u09lecĀ 

Sorry to hear that, I am just a customer like you.

Your tenants should be able to request an emergency meter replacement if the electrician has checked.

It is meant to be replaced within 3 to 4 hours

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/article/emergency-with-your-meter

If they refuse ask them to raise a complaint when speaking to them, but it really should not be necessary as that will slow things down.

There is more on the complaint process here.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

You could also contact your electricity DNO to check if there are any issues in your area or if they want to investigate the supply to the building or the main cut out fuse located near the meter.

https://www.energynetworks.org/customers/find-my-network-operator

It would help if you post how you get on as the ovo moderators will be around again in the morning and they may have some additional advice.

I assume you are sure there is credit on the meter.

Could you post a photo of the meter on the forum?

Did the electrician think it was a meter issue specifically?

Do you know if it is a smart or traditional pre payment meter?

Fingers crossed you make progress.

Userlevel 7
Badge

ā€¦ her power is cutting out every 10-15 seconds. ... this has been going on for days
Ā 

You mean her lights have been going on and off every 10-15 seconds for days? That sounds very uncomfortable, and equally unlikely. What are the precise symptoms sheā€™s seeing?

Iā€™m not saying that the meterā€™s not at fault, just querying the fault description.

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That kind of behaviour sounds like the meter might be in a Load Limiting mode where the customer is only allowed to use so much power at once and/or per day. Itā€™s not used much in the UK, but it does get used and is not the result of a faulty meter if itā€™s intentionally enabled by the supplier.

Load Limiting isĀ onlyĀ ever used as one of the more extreme last-resort debt management options. No-one ever uses it just because someone is say, one month behind but working with the supplier on a solution.

Your tenant should try reducing how much stuff they have on for a few hours to let the ā€œcreditsā€ build back up - this may help both resolve the issue and prove/disprove my theory.

When enabled, should the power load be too high and all the Load Limiting credits get used up, the meter WILL disconnect you for about 15 seconds and you need to use that time to shut down all unimportant stuff. Itā€™ll reconnect afterwards and remain on provided you remain within the limits - itā€™s usually enough to run a few lights and basic appliances.

The meter grants credits every few milliseconds and checks the balance of them roughly once every 15 seconds - reacting appropriately based on that check.

These Credits will build up if youā€™re below the limit and deplete if youā€™re above it.

You may be able to ask to have these limits removed if theyā€™re currently enabled.

Userlevel 6

Hey @u09lecĀ 

Ā 

Sorry to hear about the issue your tenant is experiencing, but our volunteers have offered some good advice here.

Ā 

Did they get in touch with Support again, and is the issue resolved?

I switched to OVO from another supplier and since yesterday I donā€™t have power supply. Agents was not at all helpful, kept transferring to different departments. An emergency engineer visit was booked for yesterday and they didnā€™t show up. Now after contacting customer support since morning today managed to get another emergency appointment booked and I am hopeless with any engineer visiting the property. Iā€™m afraid I have to just live like this until the engineer chose to visit.Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @RChandranĀ ,

I need to ask a couple of things.

Are you Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go?

Do you have Smart Meters?

Can you post photos of the meter(s)?

Engineer visited just now, I hope the issue is sorted as I have power supply now.Ā 

Userlevel 6

Hey @RChandranĀ 

Ā 

Glad to hear the engineer arrived and the supply was restored.

Ā 

Always feel free to pop back to the Forum if youā€™ve ever got a question.