Solved

I submitted a reading incorrectly. How do I amend this?

Hi 

I want to amend a previous reading I inputted incorrectly  

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 3 November 2022, 11:22

View original

28 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think you can just input the correct reading if it’s still in the same day.. up till midnight. 

Userlevel 7

Updated on 20/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Hey @carriemich,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

I can see @juliamc has already given some great advice here. Just wanted to step in and clarify that because we have a live billing system, when you submit another reading to your Online Account, the account balance should update accordingly within 24-48 hours.

We have a great guide if you want to know more about this topic: 

If the reading you have submitted is dramatically different from the correct, current reading you may get an error message. In which case you can contact Support and we’ll submit it on your behalf. 

Hope this helps. 

I live overseas 6 months of the year in Tenerife. I will be here until late May 2023.

This has happened every year (bar one year) since 2016.

I leave connected only a small pond pump, a cctv system and an outside light in my old telephone box.

I use more or less 400 units every quarter/3 months every time.

My neighbour, as always, reads my meters twice while I am away. This time my meter is showing a usage of 10881 units since 15 Nov 2022 which equates to many thousands of pounds. I left the UK on 24 Nov 2022 and my house remains empty. Not even the heating is left on.

Obviously there is a serious discrpency resulting in my immediate call to OVO.

They have instructed a new meter is to be installed in about 3 weeks time. My neighbour will give the engineer access.

However at no point did they ease my mind over the overreading issue or even mention it further apart from taking the current reading at the onset. I have this nasty feeling I am going to get a massive bill of £7000+ and menacing no reply texts and menacing no reply emails very soon (and probably letters because they will miss that I am still away and will continue to be for several months).

How can I prevent this??

Thank you for any replies……   RW.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Your only option @Tenerifeisgreat i would think is if you have a series of meter readings (with photos if possible) so that typical usage is able to be determined. 
If these are not frequent enough (as I suspect from what you’ve already said) then a meter test of your current meter to see if it is over reading would be my next suggestion

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Tenerifeisgreat

Good advice from @BPLightlog

You haven't got long, so you need to think about whether you want to pay for and arrange a Meter Accuracy Test before your smart meter is installed else it will all be too late and more difficult to get any resolution with the meter gone.

Unless OVO has agreed something else in writing about your bills? Perhaps ask for that? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think there’s another thing that might help as well.

If possible, try to take a video of the Creep Test while doing it, making sure the Meter Serial Number and the readings are clearly visible as best as possible. This makes life a LOT easier later and helps to prove the meter failed that test. You still need a MAT anyway, but it never hurts to keep good paper trails.

In some cases, it MAY be possible to do a Read Dispute after the meter is already swapped out - especially when upgrading to a Smart Meter - because the data gathered from a Smart Meter can help to get some idea of what the real usage might have been before the swap.

If you can get an official test though, it makes that process a lot easier because OVO can use the data from the accuracy test to enhance the number crunching and get it pretty much bang on.

Thanks gents.  I have asked my neighbour to take a fresh reading asap. The last one was 4 days ago. 

This should show abnormal consumption and if so I will ask him to take regular photographed readings every few days until they fit the new meter.

I have also asked him to ‘feel’ for any heat.

My bills are all similar for the overseas winter periods which could be considered as evidence.

I will consider a meter test pending the readings.

I do not think this will be settled easily without the forthcoming hassle of having to defend myself.

I suppose it is a classic ‘it is what it is’ scenario.

Thank goodness I am not on direct debit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks gents.  I have asked my neighbour to take a fresh reading asap. The last one was 4 days ago. 

This should show abnormal consumption and if so I will ask him to take regular photographed readings every few days until they fit the new meter.

I have also asked him to ‘feel’ for any heat.

My bills are all similar for the overseas winter periods which could be considered as evidence.

I will consider a meter test pending the readings.

I do not think this will be settled easily without the forthcoming hassle of having to defend myself.

I suppose it is a classic ‘it is what it is’ scenario.

Thank goodness I am not on direct debit.

I would suggest doing the creep test as suggested. 

I only say that as... 

We have definitely seen instances where it was something faulty or left on in the house by mistake. 

We definitely see that more than faulty meters.

Just taking photos of the meter may not be sufficient in OVOs eyes. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s also why we recommend killing the power to the entire property via the fusebox when doing the test. Because then it guarantees that absolutely nothing can interfere… And also proves whether it was just some other thing guzzling tons of power.

There is nothing on in the house exept a small vcr powering 4 small dome cameras.

The temperature was 8.5 degrees centigrade inside my house the day he checked the readings

Nearly 11000 units is industrial usage. I cannot think of any one electrical apparatus (inside a normal house) that could possibly use over £7000’s worth in 3 months

Thanks for your comments and ideas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeah, I’d agree with that as well. My entire flat only uses something like £300 a year in go juice but realistically speaking…

I don’t even think an EV Charger, Storage Heaters, Heat Pump and Tepeo ZEB all running at once could even come close to what you’re seeing. Either that, or they’d blow the 100A Service Fuse to your property - and the DNO wouldn’t be too happy about having to replace that either...

Userlevel 7

Hey @Tenerifeisgreat,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Once you have a new meter your usage can be recalculated based on the new meter readings, which should show more accurate consumption. If you set the meter read schedule to half hourly you should be able to keep a close eye on your usage via your Online Account and easily spot any anomalies. This is assuming the issue is with the meter itself, there may be a faulty appliance in the property using more energy than it should. 

Hope this helps. 

Sorry everbody for an innocent mistake made by my neighbour.

Following advice given here I asked him to start taking regular readings.

He was aware of the discrepency and assured me from the pic he took that the reading was correct.

On his next visit he gave me the expected figure of around 400 units more and realised his original pic, due to flash distortion created an optical illusion.

It was very reassuring that there are people out there eager to help and I thank you all for your contributions.

All the best.    

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries at all, thanks for letting us know!

If you ever need our help again, we’ll definitely be here for you. :)

Hello Everyone I dont know what happen with this OVO but im so disappointed  im all day away from home for work and they owe me 50 pounds gas.. A while ago I saw that I have to pay 3285 pounds.  Do you think something went wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello Everyone I dont know what happen with this OVO but im so disappointed  im all day away from home for work and they owe me 50 pounds gas.. A while ago I saw that I have to pay 3285 pounds.  Do you think something went wrong?

Hi @JANI1926 you were asking about your direct debit a few months ago. Have you checked that your meter readings are up to date? They can sometimes drop out even with a smart meter. You can check here - look to see if the readings are labelled smart or estimated. 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Thank you for answer me..I make mistake when I send the Gas reading..was 00404 and I put 4773 🤣. I hope now to fix it and to dont pay 3000 pound.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You will need to update your reading to the correct one and depending on when the wrong reading was sent, you might be asked for a photo of the new readings as it is so much different. It should sort out though

Hello again guys no one answer me the phone is always close and I try to message them and still nk one answer..honestly I never see this again before from one so big company.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello again guys no one answer me the phone is always close and I try to message them and still nk one answer..honestly I never see this again before from one so big company.

Hi @JANI1926 the phones should be open now, although they may be busy given the Easter weekend so you may find it easier later in the week. 

I entered a gas meter reading 30th March, after putting it in and seeing how much the gas bill had gone up! I had a terrible shock!! it was a over a £1000.00 more ? then i realised I had enterd a digit wrong. Got straight onto ovo, explained they asked for a new reading 31st March, which I did, and a photo of the meter. 

So thinking everything would be sorted and adjusted whin a day or two, NO not the case, after several calls and Whatsapp chats, this is still not rectified, almost a month later. Because it has gone to the billing ops!! who have to agree on the mistake and new reading.

This is plain disgusting, dragging on too long!!

I believe a *Edited by Mod* is head of billing. Maybe she would like to contact me and discuss this terrible service I`m having. Let alone the stress it is causing, unexceptable to have to be put through this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @chezz ,

If you make a mistake with a reading, simply submit the correct one before midnight the same day and it’s instantly fixed - the old one gets deleted and replaced with the new one.

Beyond that, it’s a LOT more complicated and can take up to six weeks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Another reason to get a smart meter?

NO thank you. I don`t want a smart meter even they have faults. I do want everything to be controlled by technology

Thank you that's good to know.