Solved

I can't submit meter readings as online account says I already have smart meters?

Userlevel 1
  • Carbon Cutter*****
  • 6 replies

Hi. I want to provide my meter readings but my account is not giving me the option to do it. It says my smart meter is sending readings automatically...but I dont have, and never have had, a smart meter!

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 11 August 2022, 19:34

View original

19 replies

Userlevel 1

I would telephone them directly and provide the readings directly. I did this with no issues 

The paper bill arrived today and curiously there's no readings whatsoever.

The wonderful world of OVO it would appear.

Kindest regards from Clive.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi. I want to provide my meter readings but my account is not giving me the option to do it. It says my smart meter is sending readings automatically...but I dont have, and never have had, a smart meter!

Hi @Tjw50

I don't work for OVO. I am just a customer. A few of us post if we think we can help.

It would be worth checking you haven't got the wrong meter associated with your account by mistake. You will be able to see the meter details here. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

Compare them with your actual meter. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Jeffus yes the serial numbers match with the numbers on my plan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Would you mind showing us some photos of the meter, just so we can see what you’ve got?

Userlevel 1

@Blastoise186 I now realise these say smart meter on them. I thought a smart reader was the little gadget in your house that shows you what you've used each day? With SSE I always had to send readings manually otherwise it always said "estimated".  It wont let me send the pictures....says they're too big

Seems the ovo system does not work. Their website is useless. Doesn't update your bills . I have now asked for paper bills. Seems I will be on the phone to them for the rest of my days. They keep emailing me old bills that I have paid. Had one today.

Userlevel 1

@Blastoise186 figured it out :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 25/09/23 by Abby_OVO

@Blastoise186 figured it out :) 

That is indeed a smart meter, albeit a rather old one installed by British Gas. It’s quite possible that it’s been adopted by DCC and OVO has connected to it, so you won’t need to submit those meter readings. 

If you’re having issues with smart meter readings not sending automatically, contact the Support Team so that they can investigate the issue.

This has been going on since OVO took over from SSE.  My bill has been over £300/mth. Now OVO want over £500.  I do not have a smart meter for gas.  For some unknown reason, the site will not let me update my gas readings.  I get told again and again and again we are looking into it.  So many people apparently - then why hasn’t something been done. I am really shocked that OVO want over £500/mth from me.  I cannot, just cannot afford this.

Please, please please, help me.

OVO please sort this out.

What can I do?

Userlevel 7

Hi @Meg59 - thanks for flagging this here. Not a good situation from what you’ve described. 

It sounds like an account specific issue that OVO’s support team and operational teams are aware of. I’ll be reluctant to offer too many guesses or suggestions because of that. 

As you mention, you should be able to submit a meter reading via your online account if you don’t have a communicating smart meter:

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

My advice is to make sure you keep paying a monthly amount, if we estimate your gas usage it will be based on your Future annual consumption which can be found here: https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan - any charge will then be corrected as soon as we have an actual reading. 

If we’re not billing you for gas whilst this issue remains, you’ll be building up a credit balance.  

Keep us updated on this and if things aren’t sorted in the coming weeks we can see what we can do via a private message. 

Badge +1

If you have solid evidence that OVO are making Direct debits that are excessive because of this readings issue, you would be able to invoke the Direct Debit guarantee.  Contact your bank and demand the direct debit be reversed.  This is done instantly.

It would also prompt OVO into sorting this matter quicker.

Hi,

Tried to give a meter read on Friday and my account is now saying

Your smart meter is sending them to us automatically. Nice one! 

We don’t have a smart meter.

Any idea why this is all of a sudden happening? We have given meter reads before. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @crh1979 ,

Could you post some photos of your meters please? We’ll try to help you figure this out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see. You do have Smart Meters. The ones you have are SMETS1 Landis+Gyr E470 for electric and Landis+Gyr G470 for gas. Both of them were originally installed by British Gas.

If they’re working properly you do NOT need to send meter readings yourself. Check the Meter Reading history to see when the last Smart reading was - that’ll confirm whether they’re working.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Here are the pages to check

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas

Here is my gas page for example. Ideally you will see a reading every day with the word smart next to it, which tells you OVO is getting a smart meter reading every day. Let us know if the readings are a different frequency. 

What you may not have is one of the little in home displays, IHD, that link to your smart meters and normally sits on a work surface in your home somewhere. You don't need one of those for your smart meters to work. 

Thanks guys. 
We have always given manual reads to SSE and then to OVO when we switched over so assumed we didn’t have smart meter. 
Looking at meter read history, everything says smart next to it so all seems good. 

We have the old British Gas monitor in a drawer. Will it work if we plug it in?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries!

It seems your meters have re-activated at some stage after switching away from British Gas. You’re welcome to try using that old energy monitor again if you want. Alternatively, I can recommend some other options for you.

I’ll give it a try. 

Thanks again.