Tutorial

How to submit a traditional meter reading on the OVO app

• 27 September 2021
  • 44 replies
How to submit a traditional meter reading on the OVO app

Show first post

44 replies

Thanks everyone.

I don’t have a smart meter and the reading I’ve tried to submit is in line with my average usage (previous month reading accepted without any problems).

I’ll try the live chat tomorrow.

So, I could submit a reading via the live chat and they’ve told me that they’re aware of a problem with the meter reading submission page.

They also looked into the problem of my inability to access to app.

I’ve always been told that my account will move over to the new system eventually and that I just had to wait. I’m now told that there are some accounts that cannot be moved over to the new system and mine is one of them. Refreshing to have an actual answer, but I’m sceptical that this is something that cannot be sorted out. The world is full of IT glitches like this, there’s always a solution, it just needs someone to put the effort in. At the very least, you’d think that they could just set up a “new customer” account and then close the old one, but apparently this can’t be done either.

Aside from the inconvenience of not being able to use the app, my concern about this is that I will presumably continue to miss out in the future on new / changed features that only accounts on the new system can access. Oh well...

Userlevel 7

Hey @markymedic,

That’s a real shame, I’m sorry to hear that.

I understand why they can’t open a new account on the new system without it being migrated across though. The only way this may be possible is if your supply switched away and you came over as a new customer, but you’d need to double check this with Support

Hopefully this will be something that changes in the future. 

When I enter your site to give you the reading, I do not find a place to write the reading. I find the window completely white. I want to send a reading in order to give me the correct costs that I spend on gas and electricity, please.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

If you’re having trouble with the website, try submitting a reading via Live Chat at https://help.ovoenergy.com or by Phone on 0330 303 5063

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @ZAKARIA al halak the meter readings are here https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings but if your meter is sending them regularly you won’t be able to enter another reading

You sent me an email in order to give you a reading. Also, I think that you have an error in calculating the cost of energy for my home. I want to send a reading in order to give me the correct costs that I spend on gas and electricity. And not forecasts about the exchange. So I want a window in order to give you the readings, or to send them to you. Or send an employee to take a meter reading

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is a customer forum @ZAKARIA al halak not a communication link to OVO. If you want to get in touch then you need their customer support

How do I submit my meter reading?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can send via webchat

https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

I accidently left my gas fire on very low overnight while visiting a relative on 3-4th March but I’ve left same gas fire on overnight while in the house & it’s never been this high. The 130kw used in one day is equal to over half my entire gas usage the previous month (Feb) No-one else was in the house & the gas boiler is being used for hot water only.

The gas meter is an old unit outside & did not read much higher on the 4th march than days before. The graph is a screenshot from the the OVO app. I don’t know what’s going on.   

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @duns123 , you need to check whether the usage is recorded as actual or estimated. You can see similar situations elsewhere but it’s your meter readings that are used for billing 

Have no idea whether its estimated or not. How does OVO know how much gas I used each day because it’s not a smart meter I only send manual readings. The electric meter sends readings to OVO automatically though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have no idea whether its estimated or not. How does OVO know how much gas I used each day because it’s not a smart meter I only send manual readings. The electric meter sends readings to OVO automatically though.

If you look at your usage page, it will say Smart;Manual;Estimated against each entry. 
If you only send gas readings every so often, then their system will probably estimate in between. 
To get it back on track, just send another reading 

My OVO only says usage. No Smart;Manual;Estimated use anywhere

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

My OVO only says usage. No Smart;Manual;Estimated use anywhere

On your meter readings page?

I can’t show you as I don’t have an account anymore

Userlevel 7
Badge

On your meter readings page ...

This one: Meter readings - OVO Energy. Click the button to View reading history. If you submit a new reading, any past wild estimate should eventually be corrected and the Usage graphs amended accordingly. 

If on the other hand the new reading follows on from the high one causing the spike you see, you have a bigger problem.

the March graph is reading normaly now after I submited a meter reading. Thanks

Userlevel 7

the March graph is reading normaly now after I submited a meter reading. Thanks

I’d advise getting a smart meter installed @duns123, so that your usage figures are accurate and you no longer have to manually submit readings: