Tutorial

How to request a refund on the OVO app

How to request a refund on the OVO app

Show first post

52 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

If you desperately need ALL the credit back, the Support Team can force refunds through that go beyond what you can do yourself. However, I do not recommend doing so at this time of year because that credit is intended to see you through the winter. Taking a refund now will force your DD to massively increase over the winter to avoid your account falling into debt.

It’s ultimately your choice, but I would strongly recommend you reconsider.

Thank you Blastoise. I am lucky enough to be on a fixed rate contract (not due to end for another year), and amount of the DD’s far exceeds the bills every month. I was moved to OVO from SSE and I wasn’t allowed to change my DD for 3 months, so a credit worth £100s has built up. Even their recommended DD is far less than my current amount. I have adjusted my DD to the lower amount now.

I understand how it all works with regards to spreading the cost over the year, but I don’t believe keeping £100s on account is justified when the recommended DD is far less than £100 per month anyway. Plus the help from the government scheme is helping to reduce the amount further. Unless I am missing something?

I will call the sales team though to sort it out.

Hi, I am in credit by over £1300 for a single occupancy flat, this is unacceptable to me! I pay by direct debit anyway, I have to tried to apply online but the limit is £500! I want my money back! 

Tried calling but phonelines are stupidly undermanned! Have just been onto offgen.

What else can I do?

I'm contacting the ombudsman. Has enough of this. It's bordering on theft.

Userlevel 4

Not really Power Move related but can you still claim your Credit back through your app.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Lucky2,

Yes you can still claim a credit refund though your account. Follow these steps and we can get this arranged for you. If the refund is over £500 you will need to speak with our Support Team.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Userlevel 4

@ChristopherS_OVO  I've tried that, this is what I see

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Lucky2 ,

That normally means something is blocking the process of applying for a refund. Without being able to see the account personally I‘d be guessing. There’s a handy article here that covers refunds and the steps to take. 

You can contact our Support Team for help. You can also send a message through Facebook Messenger/X if you use Social Media and ask them to check the account for you. They will be able to check the account and let you know why this has happened. 

Keep me updated with how you get on.

Userlevel 2

I guess this works if you have access to your account, but I don’t.

I requested a refund of my considerable balance, as OVO no longer pays interest on balances and I would rather have my money in Premium Bonds rather than give OVO free money.

I made contact with support on 1st March. I still haven’t received my refund.

I have now missed a month of Premium Bond draws, so I guess OVO owes me £1M !!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s not how it works. I had Premium Bonds for 20 years and earned absolutely zero prizes in that time.

You can’t just expect ERNIE to randomly pick you either...

Userlevel 2

But there is a finite chance Ernie would have picked one of these missing bonds. So OVO have deprived me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There is, but it’s miniscule. You DO NOT just get to demand money just because a computer picks someone else every month.

And besides, why should my money end up in your pocket?

Userlevel 2

I have an infinitely better chance of winning if I had the bonds against not having the bonds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Look, it’s quite simple. You gotta be in it to win it. If you weren’t in the draw, you automatically lose - just accept it and move on. If you extract that cash from OVO, you instead punish other customers like me.

Get over it - there’s always the next draw. It’s the same with the lottery - if you didn’t buy a ticket, you are NOT entitled to win even if your numbers come up.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Hadders52

I’m sorry to hear you are still waiting for a credit refund. Due to us not visibility over accounts here on the Forum I would recommend raising this with our dedicated Support Team

You can find more about refunds on our article here and read our refund policy

I hope this helps! 

Userlevel 2

Been there, done that, got the Teeshirt. Made no difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge

I requested a refund of my considerable balance, as OVO no longer pays interest on balances …

I was in exactly the same position. Having seen somewhat to my surprise that I managed to earn an interest reward on 28 February, having a month earlier shifted the date of my DD to the end of the month, I applied for a refund of £500. On 29 February I had an email to tell me that the refund was on its way and would be with me within four working days. It was in my bank account just two working days later after the weekend. I took another equally smooth refund a few days later.  

This shows that the system sometimes works, so what excuse have Support given you for the non-receipt of your refund? It may be significant that I restricted myself to the maximum amount (£500) that needs no further authorization than a front-line support agent has.

Userlevel 2

As I have had no access to my account for over a year now, every interaction I have with OVO has to be via support, either a Chat or email. This means each round of communication takes four or five days, which doesn’t help.

My credit balance is well over £1000.

After three rounds of communication the request was finally with the OVO accounts who rejected it because:

“Unfortunately the refund was rejected by our payments team and the reason being was a potential faulty time switch mentioned on previous emails.”

Needless to say there has NEVER been any exchange of emails about faulty timers or even anything close.

I replied by return pointing this out and asking what fictitious emails this refers to. That was eight days ago and nobody has got back to me.

I am not really surprised about this. Seems par for the course.

Userlevel 4

@ChristopherS_OVO what do you mean by something is blocking it ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@ChristopherS_OVO what do you mean by something is blocking it ?

The reasons are account specific so we can’t say here. I’d suggest talking to Support - they can tell you the reasons for your case.

Userlevel 4

@ChristopherS_OVO This is what I can see. Don't understand why I would need to send a meter reading before I can get a refund as I have a smart meter.

Userlevel 4

@ChristopherS_OVO 

Userlevel 6

Hi @Lucky2 

From what you’ve shown us there, as it says we’ve not had a meter reading from you in a while, would suggest the smart meter hasn’t been sending us readings.

It might be worth completing a smart meter health check to see if there’s a problem there.

If you’re still looking for a refund and the app asks for a reading, please submit one as it may mean that the balance is currently not up to date if it’s not been based on actual meter readings for a while. This is why we need a meter reading first as we wouldn’t want to refund an incorrect amount. 

You can also contact the Support Team if you’re still any problems following this. Keep us updated with how you get on.

Userlevel 4

@Abby_OVO So if that's the case and the smart meter hasn't been sending readings why haven't OVO sent me an email or something to let me know my meter could have a problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Have a look at your Readings page. Is it up to date, or are there gaps in it?

[It took me ages to find them in the app (v.19.1.0 CP 456), because they’ve moved everything around. I eventually found them here: tap the little person icon in the top right hand corner to open the Account page that used to be on the navigation bar. Then Meter readings > View reading history.]

Userlevel 4

@Firedog  Thank you for that info I didn't have a clue that was there.

All seems to be up to date.