Solved

Historical usage - can it be exported onto a spreadsheet or is there an API I can use?

Hello

Trying to find a way I can download all my past usage to a spreadsheet but I cannot find any way to do this.  I know I can copy/paste into Excel but it would be better if I could download a year at a time. 

Even better would be API access.  I see in the chat this was discussed about 5 years ago, did it take off? 

Thanks in advance. 

icon

Best answer by nealmurphy 21 October 2022, 14:34

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @davidgray ,

You could potentially do that with a Data Subject Access Request to OVO, but there’s also easier ways. The Hildebrand Glow IHD from https://shop.glowmarkt.com combined with the Hildebrand Bright app is probably going to be your best bet. It’ll give you the API access you’re after as well as local MQTT data if you desire it.

Direct API access via OVO is something that’s still on the cards though, but it’s a bit of a lower priority right now.

Hi @Blastoise186 

Thanks for the info. 

Did a bit of research and I found out I have a smart meter generation 1, which is collecting data every 30 mins, however there is no visual display or any way to plug in a device such as Hildebrand as you suggested.  I spoke to OVO and they said that they will only replace/upgrade as and when the Gen 1 devices are broken.  

So it looks as if I cannot plug anything in to my current setup which would allow me API access, and OVO do not provide an API or the ability to download data :-( 

Not sure I can do much else unless and suppliers are offering to give latest generation meters with a switch… 

Regards

Dave  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The Glow IHD doesn’t need to be plugged in as it’s wireless. If you’re still unsure, contact Hildebrand directly via support@glowmarkt.com and they can advice whether the Glow IHD will work for you or not.

If it will work, Hildebrand have ways to pair it without needing to get OVO involved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 19/09/23 by Abby_OVO: We recommend members use the online account where you can now download your usage data into a CSV format. More details here:  

The Hildebrand Glow IHD from https://shop.glowmarkt.com combined with the Hildebrand Bright app is probably going to be your best bet. It’ll give you the API access you’re after as well as local MQTT data if you desire it.

Direct API access via OVO is something that’s still on the cards though, but it’s a bit of a lower priority right now.

Did a bit of research and I found out I have a smart meter generation 1, which is collecting data every 30 mins, however there is no visual display or any way to plug in a device such as Hildebrand as you suggested.  I spoke to OVO and they said that they will only replace/upgrade as and when the Gen 1 devices are broken.  

So it looks as if I cannot plug anything in to my current setup which would allow me API access, and OVO do not provide an API or the ability to download data :-( 

Not sure I can do much else unless and suppliers are offering to give latest generation meters with a switch… 

The Glow IHD doesn’t need to be plugged in as it’s wireless. If you’re still unsure, contact Hildebrand directly via support@glowmarkt.com and they can advice whether the Glow IHD will work for you or not.

If it will work, Hildebrand have ways to pair it without needing to get OVO involved.

Stand by @davidgray things may get a bit techy!

So it sounds like your smart meter is happily sending readings to the DCC?

If you can see your data in the Glowmarkt ‘Bright’ app then things are looking up.

Go to their tariff comparison prototype website:

http://www.smarttariffsmartcomparison.org/home

Log in with your Bright username and password. On the results screen there is a csv button to download your data.

If you open this in Excel you should get a looooong list of timestamps and your usage in Wh for each time interval.

Use the formula =CONVERT(A2,"msec","day")+DATE(1970,1,1) to convert the timestamp and change the format of this cell to custom and use dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm or similar for it to make sense. That should give you the last 13 months of stored 30 minute usage data.

Have fun!

Hello @nealmurphy 

Thanks for the info. I registered with Hildebrand/Bright and gave them a description of my setup and a photo of my bill.  Waiting  to hear back to see if they have access to my data. 

Not too techy at all 😁 I aim to consume the API with an Azure C# function app and put the data into SQL server.  Bit rubbish at Excel so your formula is very useful.  👍

Thanks 

Userlevel 1

I know this is an old thread but I did find it very useful. However, I went in via the Bright route but although the csv file was indeed covering from 13th months ago, it was all zeros apart from the last week. Any thoughts as to how to get the rest of it?

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I know this is an old thread but I did find it very useful. However, I went in via the Bright route but although the csv file was indeed covering from 13th months ago, it was all zeros apart from the last week. Any thoughts as to how to get the rest of it?

Cheers

Depending on when you registered with Bright, the data might not be available yet. I have successfully used the feed from there to graph my data

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Cheers

You could see what you see here

https://data.n3rgy.com/consumer/home

They are also authorised and regulated by OFGEM.

Alternatively drop Bright an email and ask if they can see if they can get the data for you. 

Support@glowmarkt.com

Userlevel 1

I have tried n3rgy but just get empty files

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I have tried n3rgy but just get empty files

There have been issues with the smart meter network generally over the last few weeks. That may be contributing to any current issues. I suspect it will take time for data to populate even if there are no other issues in your case. 

The meter readings would still be on the meter in normal circumstances so be interesting to see what Bright say when you contact them.

You could try emailing n3rgy as well

info@data.n3rgy.com

Do you known if your meter was recently upgraded from SMETS1 to SMETS2? This could be the issue. 

Can you see the 13 months data on the OVO app?

What frequency of readings do you have, 30min?  Have you changed this recently?

The feature will hopefully be available on the OVO website

Userlevel 1

We had a SMETS2 meter fitted in April 2021 to replace non-smart meters. I have not ever changed  frequency of readings. I guess I need to wait and then contact Bright and n3rgy.

We are with Octopus. When they have the information they are great but they can be pretty patchy at providing info which is why I am looking elsewhere.

If I am with Octopus can I get info via the OVO app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

We had a SMETS2 meter fitted in April 2021 to replace non-smart meters. I have not ever changed  frequency of readings. I guess I need to wait and then contact Bright and n3rgy.

We are with Octopus. When they have the information they are great but they can be pretty patchy at providing info which is why I am looking elsewhere.

If I am with Octopus can I get info via the OVO app?

Ah no, you couldn't use the ovo app then.