Tutorial

Engineer jobs with OVO - A technical guide to the type of work we can arrange and issues which might delay the job being completed

• 28 September 2020
  • 33 replies
Engineer jobs with OVO - A technical guide to the type of work we can arrange and issues which might delay the job being completed

Show first post

33 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Depends on the supplier. Some like OVO do it in-house. Others contract it out

Prior to smart meter installation I've been looking at my electric meter housing which appears to be in poor condition. 

Can this be repaired or should I look into having this replaced?

I understand the DNO will be required to disconnect the supply. 

Once this is carried out, can I replace the box myself or must it be carried out by an approved installer?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @lGregl , there’s a guide here on responsibility for those parts

Thanks for response @BPLightlog I appreciate the link to more resources. 

I understand the responsibilities of the individual components. 

I lack experience on what is repairable and whether I’m allowed to replace the box myself after the electric has been disconnected.

Userlevel 6

Hey @lGregl

I see the meter box is in a bit of rough shape at the moment.

I know those links that BPLightlog provided are really useful. It may be worth giving your DNO a call as ‘Some DNOs/transporters can provide (at a cost) a service to maintain your meter box’, I’ve taken that from this page

If you’re not sure on who your Distributor is, you can find out here: 

I’ve also linked to a helpful page from UK Power Networks, and while they cannot complete the work themselves, they can offer appointments with one of their experts to give advice free of charge, they will let you know the best way to replace it safely.

@Abby_OVO Thanks for the help.

I’ve booked an appointment with the DNO to come and have a look. I’d like this carried out before booking in to have the meter replaced with a smart meter. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @lGregl 

Great! Glad you’ve got that booked in. That sounds like a good idea, when that’s all done, you can make the smart meter booking online here: https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com/getting-started

Hello, 

Has anyone ever had the complete Electricity meter cupboard replaced and not just the door ?

I think our complete cupboard has seen better days.

Many Thanks,

Angela.