Solved

Energy theft from a neighbour - who do I contact to report it and get it investigated?

• 29 July 2022
  • 2 replies

I am not a OVO customer.  I strongly suspect an OVO customer who is stealing electricity. This person is an electrician, and is quite capable of doing this.  I can not reveal who this person is, but he is  NOT struggling to pay his bill.  This person in my definition is quite wealthy.  Recently I saw a poor mother on TV with a disabled child, struggling to pay her energy bill, and was in tears!   Does anyone know what procedure OVO takes to make an investigation, and is the police involved. Thanks

icon

Best answer by M.isterW 29 July 2022, 15:42

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Updated on 21/09/23 by Abby_OVO

If you suspect energy theft you can report it here - https://www.stayenergysafe.co.uk/report-energy-crime/

While you can report a suspected energy theft through the link above, it’s also important that we know about this.

If you believe  your meter has been tampered with, try to make a note of the information below and contact the Support Team:

• What does the tamper look like?
  • Is the power on/off?
  • Is the screen on the meter on/off?
  • Are there any lights on the meter (on/off)?
  • Is there anyone living at the property?
  • Are there any animals at the property?
  • Are there any vulnerabilities, young children or electrical medical equipment?
  • Any photographs you’re able to take
Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can also call 0800 023 2777.

Please don’t share any details about the report publicly however, anything posted here can’t be acted upon as easily. Reporting via Stay Energy Safe will result in OVO being notified if the person is an OVO member. The police will get involved only if the supplier wants them to. However, ALL reports are investigated and reviewed by someone no matter what.

In the meantime, please DO NOT attempt to approach or confront the person in question about the matter.

Thanks for helping to keep your neighbours safe!