Solved

Does OVO offer discounts or support for charities beyond the OVO Foundation?

• 6 September 2022
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 1

Could anyone advise who or which department I need to e-mail at OVO to ask about a one-off discount.

I should explain that about this time of year I do the laundry for the local “coats for kids” program, which is where old children's coats that they have outgrown get recycled to children that don't have or can't afford them.  I fund this out of my own pocket because I went to school in Sheffield in the mid 1980s  (All Saint’s, Granville Road) that had a pretty mixed demographic including some of the poorest areas and quite honestly watching your friends freeze in winter in the north of England isn't pleasant and if It's something you remember vividly 35+ years back it was pretty bad.  Past few years it's been around a 100 laundry loads, but with the cost of living crisis I suspect it's going to be more this year.

I hate asking, but between the hikes in the cost of living (Brexit the gift that keeps on giving) and the tripling of my electricity costs it's something I don't really have a choice about.

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 7 September 2022, 12:51

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome @stuart264 !

I’m Blastoise186, one of the forum volunteers who helps out here. I’m afraid I can’t easily answer this question myself as it seems a little tricky. Thanks for asking a really unique one though!

If it’s OK with you, I’ll have a chat with the forum moderators out the back and see what they can suggest. This may take a while, but I’ll be back as soon as I can!

Oh, and huge kudos from me for what you do! I truly value community spirit and I can tell you’re full of it.

Userlevel 1

Thanks, it's appreciated, I looked on the main site earlier but couldn't turn anything up, surprised it's a unique question given that OVO have their own community foundation for various projects, though they are not accepting new applications right now and I very much doubt this is a big or important enough thing to qualify anyway.

Don't know about, full of community spirit. I hear that phrase and automatically want to check if I need to order another bottle of Penderyn Madeira Cask 🤣   but I try where I can and within my skill set to “pay things forward” in a karmic sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think I know a few people who might fancy a bottle of that stuff!

@Lukepeniket_OVO @juliamc @nealmurphy @Jequinlan @Jeffus got a present for ya! ^^

Userlevel 1

Saw an interview with the guy that writes the Whisky Bible a couple of years back. He admitted that it's the one he slips into blind tastings against the really, really expensive stuff, and it usually comes in a solid second and sometimes wins. Amazon has the best prices for it, they also had the Irish Cream version “Meryln” on offer for £10 a bottle last week. Picked up a couple for Christmas Presents

Userlevel 5

Hello, and fair play to you @stuart264s what a lovely thing to do! I've posted this to my LinkedIn page in the hope that it gets noticed. Unfortunately I cannot guarantee anything and I also don't know contacts personally from customer services but good luck my man! Fortune favours the bold 👊👊👊

Userlevel 1

The hard work is really down to the people at Co-op Community Space Shoreham not me, I really just do the laundry as and when needed,

Badge +1

Might the OVO charitable foundation be of assistance?

Userlevel 1

Not taking applications at the moment according to the website, plus as I said in an earlier post I suspect this might be too small of a thing for them

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s possible that even a small cause might qualify. You never know until you try. The OVO Foundation is something that I donate to, but I guess they’re a bit busy with some other project right now.

Chances are they’ll open up funding again sooner or later.

Userlevel 1

Worth a try, do you know when they are planning to take new applications?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Afraid not. I have no contacts at the OVO Foundation and I don’t know a way to get in touch beyond the general contact form

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think i would reach out to local businesses for sponsorship. How much are you looking for as a contribution as, whilst money is tight, I may be able to sponsor you a bit from my v2g export credit. And yes, lover of Whisky i am but thats not the reason I consider it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Alternatively... i know my local community facebook would easily have 100 plus offers to do 1 load each. I bet yours would have same 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

We also have a local community facebook page and it’s amazing how generous people are when asked. eg kitting out new flats for vulnerable people, parcels to Ukraine, school uniforms etc. Stuff gets gathered together in a couple of days, sometimes just hours !

Userlevel 7

Updated on 19/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Hi @stuart264 

What a fantastic way to support a great cause. 

You’re correct in saying it’s similar to the work the OVO Foundation does. See the list of current projects the charity supports here: https://www.ovofoundation.org.uk/our-projects/

We’re not able to support other great causes beyond what the charity has already committed to currently. However please make sure you’re not missing out on any avenues for support which we’ve listed here:

Find out about the different ways we can help here.

Userlevel 5

@stuart264 direct messaged you mate

Userlevel 5

@stuart264 any update???