Solved

Can we get access to the OVO energy online account API to download our smart meter usage data?

Show first post

142 replies

Userlevel 7

@Jequinlan I will have a read of this, but without an OVO account I won’t be able to test :pensive: Sounds like amazing customer-led action though!

Please be advised that from OVO’s point of view, I neither condone or condemn this workaround. It’s untested and possibly insecure, either way it’s not made alongside OVO. However I know there's been lots of interest, and (whilst OVO/Kaluza developers are tabling an idea that will be of interest to everyone here in November) so far we haven't been able to deliver anything in house. 

So I’m tagging everyone that's commented here to make sure you're aware of this work from @Jequinlan 

Let us know how it goes please! 

@Gary @GarethMarlow @rgphilpott @atilagiant @Deanohol @Peter_Mat @didge05 @sam_cat @jmontalvo @adec @Pramsbottom @ryck @CeeJayCee @alexbaulch @Random @maccordingley @sfgreenwood @johnk @jadam @Fordy @Steveo67 @Siggy0 @CerebralDigits @deanjames @ChrisB @jadam @DaveJenYearsley @ErTnEc @Marshcroft @jordanharper @Simonfea @obiwanzamora @AdamJ @dorinho @Ross2411 @Chrherms @MikeWilliams @blakedrayson @TerryE @VibroAxe @jdenver @maurorappa @adec @100903609 @Riscy @r3m0dul8 @MyZoe.Uk @Ajk @AlanN51 @CloudCircus @r3m0dul8 @technogeoff @resoai @Fuzzysteve @mattc @andsee @uvarvu @Transparent @g-de 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks @Jequinlan Have got it working, and it confirms last HH gas data was logged on 19 August 23:30!

What’s the TOU comparison tool you’re working on next?

I am working on creating a "price comparison tool" for taking your actuals and comparing to tarrifs from suppliers where rates may change on up to a half hourly basis. Allowing a true "annual cost projection"

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Btw, I can confirm there is no risk of insecure as you will see from the command line the details are on your machine and provided to directly access ovo, the exe has been made by best practice .net core code and is a standalone on pc only exe.

Thanks this is great.

What’s the purpose of the fields Login, Password and File in the appsettings.json

The command line in the readme seems to negate their existence in the settings file!

{

"OvoUrls": {

"Login": "https://my.ovoenergy.com/api/v2/auth/login",

"Accounts": "https://smartpaym.ovoenergy.com/api/customer-and-account-ids",

"Usage": "https://smartpaym.ovoenergy.com/api/energy-usage/"

},

"OvoAccount": {

"Login": "x",

"Password": "x"

},

"Output": {

"File": "s:\\MyFile.csv"

}

}

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You can put them in there to save typing them all the time! Thats all. Then you can omit those params from command line.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Please confirm @Jequinlan - does this solution only work on PCs running Windoze?

PS:

In order to save the output in the same folder as the exe I had to specify .\output.csv as the file name

You can put them in there to save typing them all the time! Thats all. Then you can omit those params from command line.

Ought to be in the readme (as a programmer I guessed that might be the case)

If I add my username and password into the settings json file I get

OvoData.exe -f 01/01/2020 -t 04/02/2020 -o .\OvoData.csv
Unable to login - 401 - Unauthorized
   at OvoData.OvoLiveRepository.OvoConnect.GetLoginCookieAsync(String userName, String password)
   at OvoData.OvoOrchestrator.ExportData()
   at OvoData.Program.EntryPoint.Run()

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Please confirm @Jequinlan - does this solution only work on PCs running Windoze?

Hmm, i would think so I am afraid  but i will see if i can make a docker version for mac or linux users.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

at OvoData.OvoLiveRepository.OvoConnect.GetLoginCookieAsync(String userName, String password)

Oh! Erm, please just use commandline then  no idea why that didnt work! (You kept the "" right?)

Userlevel 5

@Tim_OVO Given that some of Ovo’s customers have been asking for this and more for many years, I think @Jequinlan deserves a big round of applause for sharing his code. I agree that without the backing of Ovo, it should be used with a degree of caution. It could just stop working one day, when Ovo next change their api? interface, as happened in the Hive community recently. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Tim_OVO Given that some of Ovo’s customers have been asking for this and more for many years, I think @Jequinlan deserves a big round of applause for sharing his code. I agree that without the backing of Ovo, it should be used with a degree of caution. It could just stop working one day, when Ovo next change their api? interface, as happened in the Hive community recently. 

Yes, if the api changes it could stop, but also the apis are soft coded in the config file so if a trivial change the config will just need updating. The risk of any 3rd party integration exists if any 1st party changes an apinin any situation.

If ovo want to see the code , then i am happy to discuss.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jequinlanwrote:

i will see if i can make a docker version for mac or linux users.

Linux would be great :)

Raspberry-Pi or Arduino would be better still because we can then make our own IHDs   :hugging:

Btw, I can confirm there is no risk of insecure as you will see from the command line the details are on your machine and provided to directly access ovo, the exe has been made by best practice .net core code and is a standalone on pc only exe.

Is the program open or closed source?

Oh! Erm, please just use commandline then  no idea why that didnt work! (You kept the "" right?)

Yep, I kept the quotes to make sure it’s still valid json string.

@Tim_OVO Given that some of Ovo’s customers have been asking for this and more for many years, I think @Jequinlan deserves a big round of applause for sharing his code. I agree that without the backing of Ovo, it should be used with a degree of caution. It could just stop working one day, when Ovo next change their api? interface, as happened in the Hive community recently. 

Yes, if the api changes it could stop, but also the apis are soft coded in the config file so if a trivial change the config will just need updating. The risk of any 3rd party integration exists if any 1st party changes an apinin any situation.

If ovo want to see the code , then i am happy to discuss.

Warning: This only protects the user if the API end-point changes, not when the format of data it fetches changes.

Hi All,

I have just written a PowerShell script to fetch all of my readings from January 2017 to present-day a month at a time.

You can find it on GitHub at

https://github.com/MikeWilliams-UK/Bulk-Fetch-Ovo-Readings

Have fun

@Tim_OVO @Transparent @TerryE @andsee @SianiAnni

Here is it: The API exe I promised that takes all that HH data and nicely formats it into a consumable Sheet

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1A7XRov0579O53T8OsIGe3wXCk09jul0F?usp=sharing

Download all the files, and read the Readme! (oh, and Enjoy) - now I can start work on ther TOU comparison tool!! 

If anyone is willing to send me their export please do!  - It will help me build the tooling.

John (at) QuinlanServices (dot) Com 

Examining the downloaded csv file

1. The following columns are always empty
    MeterPointIdentifier, CostCurrencyUnit
  2. YearColumn is always same as MonthOfYear column
  3. CostAmmount is always zero
  4. IntervalStart and IntervalEnd columns do not require fractions of a second
    2018-12-01T04:30:00.0000000 → 2018-12-01T04:30:00 please.

Not sure if these are your columns, but the output could do with tidying up.

As a programmer I can help with this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

At the moment I am discussing if I should open source it or if OVO themselves may be interested to make it or a basis of it integrated as a supported offering.

At the moment I am discussing if I should open source it or if OVO themselves may be interested to make it or a basis of it integrated as a supported offering.

Would be good if it were made open source, then the community could help to fix any issues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There’s another issue to consider if OVO were to take this on. I believe that their new Billing System is being developed such that it can be licensed to 3rd parties. Such an arrangement means that they would need to secure some rights over any externally-sourced code within the suite and be able to provide rapid support if an element of that code were to fail or require upgrading.

That’s a legal minefield.

And let’s remember that it was the failure of a 3rd party software provider to resolve issues with parts of their billing system which caused OVO to embark on creating their own in the first place. It didn’t help that Ofgem clobbered them with a hefty fine for the failed usage-estimation provisions in that software.

You will understand that there would be a significant level of reluctance for OVO to become embroiled in such a scenario again.

Userlevel 7

Sorry for another spamming comment but I’m keen to hear if others have checked out this work done by @Jequinlan this week? 

@Gary @GarethMarlow @rgphilpott @atilagiant @Deanohol @Peter_Mat @didge05 @sam_cat @jmontalvo @adec @Pramsbottom @ryck @CeeJayCee @alexbaulch @Random @maccordingley @sfgreenwood @johnk @jadam @Fordy @Steveo67 @Siggy0 @CerebralDigits @deanjames @ChrisB @jadam @DaveJenYearsley @ErTnEc @Marshcroft @jordanharper @Simonfea @obiwanzamora @AdamJ @dorinho @Ross2411 @Chrherms  @blakedrayson @TerryE @VibroAxe @jdenver @maurorappa @adec @100903609 @Riscy @r3m0dul8 @MyZoe.Uk @Ajk @AlanN51 @CloudCircus @r3m0dul8 @technogeoff @resoai @Fuzzysteve @mattc @andsee @uvarvu  @g-de 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

On a side note, a v2 with fixed year field coming next week.

Userlevel 1

Sorry for another spamming comment but I’m keen to hear if others have checked out this work done by @Jequinlan this week? 

In the same boat without an account now,

So not unless it’s open-sourced, especially when they managed to make it almost 100mb in size. I’d say no to running that