Solved

Can I change from Economy 7 to Economy 10

• 10 February 2023
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
  • Carbon Cutter***
  • 4 replies

I am currently an ovo customer on economy 7.  How do I change to economy 10?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 15 February 2023, 12:48

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @IanC ,

I’m sorry, but OVO doesn’t support Economy 10. Most suppliers are also dropping support for it these days as it’s a legacy tariff type. For the avoidance of doubt, OVO has confirmed that support for Economy 7 will continue unaffected for the foreseeable future though.

Userlevel 1

It’s available as a tariff in my ‘renew my plan’ page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… Let me ask @Emmanuelle_OVO just in case...

Userlevel 7
Badge

It’s available as a tariff in my ‘renew my plan’ page.

Mine too - sometimes. It comes and goes ...

Userlevel 7
Badge

The fruits of a wasted Sunday morning: I extracted the available tariff details from my online account, then did some sums to see how they compare cost-wise. This may help you to come to a decision, or perhaps just confuse you still more:

Rates will vary from region to region, but the proportions shouldn’t change much. They clearly illustrate the financial advantage of paying by Direct Debit over on receipt of bill (“On demand”).

Then, applying these rates to a few different usage patterns:

The 30% column gives the costs for a customer whose annual usage
amounts to 600kWh at night (600 is 30% of 2000) and 1400kWh during the day. 

These costs represent the sum of standing charges, fuel cost and VAT. They may go some way to dispelling the myth that pre-payment is more expensive. Although this may be true for gas, it certainly isn’t as far as electricity is concerned - if my calculations are correct, that is.  They also show that my decision to switch from E7 to single-rate is justified, since my usage most closely matches the 2000/35% pattern.

Userlevel 7

Hey @IanC,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

If your an Economy 7 customer, we wouldn’t change you to Economy 10. Are you able to upload a screenshot of what you’re seeing online please, and I’ll get this raised internally?

Userlevel 1

My fixed rate ended last week and I rather naively assumed that I might be asked what tariff I would like to be put on.  I would like economy 10 as this is better for for us.  We do not have electric heating but we have a large koi pond which takes a lot of electricity to run and eco 10 would be better.  The new prices have come as a bit of a shock as you can imagine and we have ascertained that eco 10 would be better for us.

Userlevel 1

When I had a conversation with ovo online they said that I could change between eco 7 and 10.

Userlevel 7

Updated on 31/10/23 by Abby_OVO

OVO now offer Economy 10 plans for the Simpler Variable Tariff but for fixed tariff's it’s not available yet. It’s unlikely to be this year for the fixed either but we’ll keep the threads updated. 

Quote & Switch does a postcode lookup and will identify some complex meter types if we hold the information - however, generally speaking Q&S will kick exotic meters (like e10) out and you'll be invited to call in to sign up.

Hey @IanC,

I checked in with the team and they’ve responded:

We will be supporting Economy 10 in the not-too-distant future (before the end of the year), but at the moment we're just testing the capability in our systems. This has unexpectedly caused the tariff to appear on some customer renewal/contract journeys by mistake, so we really appreciate you flagging this to us. Please don't select it at the moment as it won't give you the benefits of Economy 10 with just the tariff alone. We're really sorry for any inconvenience but keep an eye out on your My OVO over the coming months as this will soon be possible.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

Excellent, Thanks for the information and your time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @IanC,

I checked in with the team and they’ve responded:

We will be supporting Economy 10 in the not-too-distant future (before the end of the year), but at the moment we're just testing the capability in our systems. This has unexpectedly caused the tariff to appear on some customer renewal/contract journeys by mistake, so we really appreciate you flagging this to us. Please don't select it at the moment as it won't give you the benefits of Economy 10 with just the tariff alone. We're really sorry for any inconvenience but keep an eye out on your My OVO over the coming months as this will soon be possible.

Hope this helps. 

Any further news @Emmanuelle_OVO when it will be widely available? 

Is it still due this year?

How is the testing going? 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Jeffus 

Emmanuelle got an update on this just yesterday so great timing!

OVO offer Economy 10 plans for the Simpler Variable Tariff but for fixed tariff's it’s not available yet. It’s unlikely to be this year for the fixed either but we’ll keep the threads updated. 

Quote & Switch does a postcode lookup and will identify some complex meter types if we hold the information - however, generally speaking Q&S will kick exotic meters (like e10) out and you'll be invited to call in to sign up.