Solved

Are my charges for Economy 7 night rate correct?

Does any one elses economy 7 meter register 1 unit per night even though it is switched off?  

icon

Best answer by Abby_OVO 26 June 2023, 12:01

View original

57 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Turnip , can you say a little more about this? Not sure what you mean by totally switched off. 
It will depend on your meter but normally the off peak (night) register is active during the off peak hours. Unless you don’t use the off peak, I’m not sure why you have E7 as the day rate is generally more expensive. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Unfortunately, 1 unit a night would also be far too small to justify a Meter Accuracy Test to see whether the meter is faulty as it probably wouldn’t even show up on a Creep Test. If it was spinning a lot faster, then I’d recommend one but I’d rather not make you pay £160 in this case.

I have econ heaters, and emersion, since moving in 12 odd years ago always on last march decided to turn off emersion , but noticed my meter though switched off was registering a unit per night

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok. In that case it’s probably other stuff like your fridge that’s using electricity during E7 hours. Remember that ALL usage during those times is clocked under the Night Rate, not just heaters.

My question is and cannot get ovo to understand is if telly switched off it does not register a useage, but my econ 7 switched off at wall plus at master switch registering nearly ten quid for no reason

Had these tests but person came out said cannot do econ 7 as during day

Economy 7 is seperate to all wiring does not run fridge etc at night

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As mentioned though, other stuff may still be using energy. Here’s a few examples:

• Fridge
  • Freezer
  • Wi-Fi Router - this needs to stay on at all times, please don’t turn it off overnight
  • Lights

All of this stuff will clock under Night Rate regardless of wiring. Economy 7 wiring merely turns certain things off during the day but it’s all metered the same way regardless.

Blastoise you like ovo are missunderstanding econ 7 

Sorry you do not understand econ 7

Only thing register on night rate are on seperate wires, wish we did get night rate for other stuff

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I fully understand it, not least having written guides about Economy 7 myself.

Is an Economy 7 plan right for me?

The main advantage of an Economy 7 plan is a much cheaper unit rate for any electricity used during your off-peak times. This can often be several pence cheaper per kWh than the standard unit rate. It’s worth bearing in mind that to compensate for this cheaper off-peak rate, an Economy 7 plan charges a more expensive daytime or peak unit rate than the standard anytime rate. Therefore in order for this type of plan to be beneficial you’d need to use a certain percentage of your usage during these off-peak hours. This percentage will vary depending on the tariff prices available at the time.  

Are you sure you’re on Economy 7 and not something else?

Thanks for trying but like ovo no one seems to u derstand. Keith

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I get the feeling you’re on a different setup. Please provide photos of your meters.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Having looked at the meter types out there, I think you’re actually on an SSE Superdeal Meter:

Superdeal

Like Flexiheat, Superdeal is exclusive to customers in certain parts of southern England. It also has one meter with three rates:

• One rate records all the electricity you use during the day
  • Another records all of the electricity you use during the night period
  • The third measures all the electricity you use during the seven hours of cheaper-rate electricity for stored heat and hot water

Superdeal works by storing up heat and hot water using the lowest possible rate of electricity. It works best with storage heating, so it isn't usually suitable for homes with other forms of heating.

Alternatively, you might be on an SSE Flexiheat Meter:

Flexiheat

Our Flexiheat tariff is exclusive to customers that live in certain parts of southern England. It offers you seven hours of cheaper, off-peak electricity for your stored heat and hot water. Not only that, but you also get a cheaper rate for all the electricity use in the evenings and at weekends, as well as a cheaper rate all day between 24 December and 1 January.

You get one meter which has three rates:

• One rate records the electricity you use during the day
  • Another for electricity used in the evening and at weekends (and the Christmas period)
  • The third records all the electricity you use during the seven hours of stored heat rate electricity, for stored heat and hot water.

Possitive   the unit comes on a say 12 to 7  can vary anything conected to this meter will register a usage at reduced rate, any thing on normal high rate will still be on full rate, if i was being charged a unit per night for that, i would not complain as when using kettle and toaster would be halfprice before 7 in the morning. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Perhaps you have one of the meters with the extra terminal to switch in at off peak @Turnip ? A photo would be useful to see. Then it would be a matter of identifying the circuits that feeds just in case there’s anything else linked in. 
If you’re seeing something on your in home display, that could be a different solution

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In that case, please post photos of your meter(s). It’ll be easier for us to figure this out once we’ve seen those. Ideally, please post as many photos as possible from different angles and include a few that show the wiring near the meter

Seems similar to them so if switched off they should not register unless being used

Userlevel 7
Badge

As well as posting some photos to help the experts figure out your setup, could you also explain:

• where you see economy 7 meter register 1 unit per night;
  • where you see  my econ 7 switched off at wall plus at master switch registering nearly ten quid; 
    1 unit costs about 35p, so it would take about 30 units to clock up £10. 
  • If you’re looking at an In-House Display, you will most probably see the standing charge for the meter - about 50p - added each night. Do you see this spike?

The clearer the information you give, the greater the chances that someone will be able to help.

PS I too have an E7 setup with storage heaters and an immersion heater for hot water. There are dozens of different ways of wiring these up, which is why the experts here are asking for photos.

Have tried posting photos! Wont send will try later

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you’re having trouble, feel free to send them to forum@ovoenergy.com and a forum moderator can help you get them up.

Have tried to explain econ 7 registering 1 unit per night when no econ 7 on  does yours register 30 odd units per month when no econ 7 switcehed on?

Firedog last sent to you when reading my meter the econ 7 reads one unit per night use when all off does yours?

Firedog as you have econ 7, when you go away for hols do you switch off econ 7? And if so does yours register any units? I do but it then clocks up about 30 units for that month even though no ele tric being used. I have paid over £150 for econ 7 over 12 months and it has not been switched on at the wall.