Solved

Anyone know why my account is suddenly in lots of credit? It’s far too much to be anything but an error!

• 7 September 2022
  • 11 replies

Anyone know why my account is substantially in credit. It’s far too much to be anything but an error! 
anyone else had the same? 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 7 September 2022, 19:21

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @MrsNemo ,

I’m one of the forum volunteers who helps out here. I can’t access your account so I can only give general advice.

We can try to help you figure this out, but I’ll need to ask a few questions. Please don’t provide any personal details like your account number though, as I can’t make use of them.

Can I just ask if you have a smart meter by any chance, or if you don’t have one? This is purely to help me figure out the advice.

Hi, no we don’t have a smart meter, asked but told it can’t be done easily due to asbestos 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok that’s fine. I won’t go down that path then and that eliminates quite a few possibilities.

Can you show us screenshots of your meter readings from these two places please?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas

The credit is related to the gas. So here’s the screen shot of that. The August reading makes no sense, not what I submitted! I used to be able to go back further but that seems to have gone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmmm… That’s an unusual reading pattern...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 19/09/23 by Abby_OVO

The credit is related to the gas. So here’s the screen shot of that. The August reading makes no sense, not what I submitted! I used to be able to go back further but that seems to have gone.

Hmmm… That’s an unusual reading pattern...

If you don’t recognise that reading from the 27th August, you may want to flag it with the Support Team so they can investigate. It’s possible that there’s some corruption on your account, but it can be fixed if needs be.

Thanks, odd isn’t it? I’ll give them a call. Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. Glad I could help!

Yes it is rather strange and I’ve never seen it before.

I was just checking my account and to my shock I've seen that I'm over £9700 in credit, I definitely wasn't close to that last month, have ovo made a mistake and put money in my account. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Jamiemurray2012 ,

That sounds like an error, albeit a very rare one. I’d recommend going back through your billing history to see if you can trace where it came from and then notify the Support Team on Monday. They can investigate this and if needed, fix your account.

In the meantime, please don’t make any attempt to request a refund just to be safe.

Thanks!

Badge +1

You should investigate your bills to see why the credit has arisen.  It could be because your consumption has been revised downward, or perhaps a payment has been credited to your account instead of somebody else's, Other explanations are also possible - too many to document.  But you need to investigate first and check that your payments are correctly recorded and your meter readings accurately logged before cracking open the bubbly!

You have the information - we don’t - we’re volunteers here and can’t see your information at all.