Solved

100% ‘green’ energy now only with a smart meter - how does this work?

• 9 September 2022
  • 60 replies

Show first post

60 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@sanpeddro that’s where you’re completely wrong I’m afraid.

It is true that Smart Meters can be remotely switched between Credit Mode and Prepayment Mode, but there’s VERY STRICT RULES about how this is done. Obviously, it’s a different story if the meter is switched at your request because you chose to switch sides.

However, simply switching to Prepayment Mode the very instant someone defaults is banned. Suppliers have to attempt all prior solutions first, such as contacting the customer, offering repayment plans, giving advice, offering referrals to StepChange and a bunch of other things. It’s only AFTER all of those options fail that the option to force you onto Prepayment can even be considered - and it’s the same rules as for getting a warrant. There has to be evidence that the supplier has already tried every possible option before that point.

As long as you engage with the supplier in these cases and work with your supplier to figure things out amicably, then forcing you onto Prepayment or a Disconnection won’t even be considered, let alone actioned. And even if it is, if the evidence is showing that you’re currently working with the supplier to get back on track and the signs are you’re actively paying back the debt, then no further action can be taken anyway.

You really should check your facts before speculating in future.

Not sure what I was speculating, or wrong on? Heard about (on radio) this from consumers who had been switched in this manner. No I don’t know full details, but good to know the regulations that are in place. What would be equally good to know was if all the procedures you mention are actually followed in every case by every energy supplier.

I am intrigued by your description as being a forum volunteer. With the number of replies and problems solved by you you must surely be employed as a mouthpiece of Ovo? - sorry, speculating there but please enlighten me.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2022/11/smart-meter-prepayment-switched-remotely-rights/

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Believe it or not Blastoise is not paid by OVO. Personally I think he should be given the amount of time and energy he gives to this forum. But anyone can get advise or discuss things here, you don’t have to be an OVO customer.

Not sure what I was speculating, or wrong on? Heard about (on radio) this from consumers who had been switched in this manner. No I don’t know full details, but good to know the regulations that are in place. What would be equally good to know was if all the procedures you mention are actually followed in every case by every energy supplier.

I am intrigued by your description as being a forum volunteer. With the number of replies and problems solved by you you must surely be employed as a mouthpiece of Ovo? - sorry, speculating there but please enlighten me.

One way to find out!  Of course no corporation or government entity would ever restrict the rights or freedoms of any individual in our free world based on any individual choice criteria. Ahem. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The regulations are strict and while it is true that a few suppliers ignore them, Ofgem comes down on those suppliers like a ton of bricks about it. Every supplier is monitored by Ofgem so actively that even putting a toe out of line can get flagged up.

I don’t get paid by OVO either. The reason I’ve got such crazy stats is because I spend an average of 100 hours a week of my own time on this forum. I get “paid” with useful information and access to resources that make it easier for me to help others, but no cash has ever changed hands. I have received some rewards to date though:

• Nearly 50,000 points on this forum (which isn’t currently used for anything)
  • A free jumper last year that’s usually for staff only
  • A hamper just before Christmas that I shared with my family
  • And a visit to OVO’s Bristol HQ a few weeks ago - but I made my own way there and back by train at my own cost (full disclosure, I did get a forum moderator to pay for my lunch though)

That last one is actually something which any forum volunteer can do whenever we want. It’s just a case that I didn’t get chance for two years because of lockdowns. There’s also been previous Forum VIP Events where the entire forum got invited down more or less regardless of status, but they’re still on hold at the moment.

Userlevel 7

there is a very devious reason some energy companies are so keen to get everyone on smart meters - not sure if it applies to Ovo but maybe they could confirm if so?

Default on your bill and your ‘smart meter’ is smartly switched to a pay-as-you go meter at greatly increased cost. Very smart!

Hey @sanpeddro,

I can assure you this isn’t the case,

As @Blastoise186 pointed out and the article link you provided show there are really strict rules about changing a customer from pay monthly to pay as you go. Energy companies would need to exhaust all other avenues, it would be a last resort. 

Even if a customer was on a traditional meter their account might be passed to a debt collection agency who could get a warrant to change their meter to pay as you go. 

Customers also have the freedom to contact us if they are on pay as you go and would like to be pay monthly. Any customers who are considered vulnerable would be encouraged to change to pay monthly to ensure constant supply.

If you’d like to find out why we promote smart meters we have lots of helpful articles about this topic:

Currently we’re running two trials Shift & Save and Power Move. Where customers are encouraged to shift their usage to times where the grid is greener, this also eases pressure on the grid and they can win rewards by doing so! All of this is made possible by smart meters.

Hope this helps 🙂

well lots to think about here!

@Blastoise186 I applaud your enthusiasm, but is that really healthy - 13 hours a day 7 days a week writing on green energy?

If all the steps are gone through every time then fine - my concern were shared by moneysavingexpert so I’m not alone being alarmed by the huge increase in consumers being switched to pay as you go - equally I share their concern that PAYG penalises those least able to manage their own finances. Compassionate talk is easy.

Whilst I am happy with the concept of green energy I have grave concerns regarding green-washing and carbon-offsetting though I have no desire to get stuck into a tedious debate. I also despise the fact that I am eternally harrassed by SSE and now Ovo  to get a smart meter - I have had hundreds of demands to switch - the engineers have my meter ready in the van, they are in my area today/tomorrow/ whenever I wish, I have not submitted a reading for 3 weeks - why not get a smart meter? etc etc etc - what’s the underlying agenda? I can cut my fuel and be as green as the next man without spending my time analysing my electricity consumption. What happened to off-peak electricity?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m not always constantly active during that entire 13 hours a day - it’s a mixture of actively patrolling and passively monitoring. :)

It’s just that between all the methods I use, it basically works out as 13 hours a day on average.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think the underlying agenda is that the energy supplier will be able to analyse your (and everyone’s) energy consumption and better supply the peaks and troughs. In fact it’s all about off peak electricity.