Reduce the minimum credit balance for Direct Debit customers when requesting refunds online

Related products: Online account

There is a feature online for customers to request a refund of some of their credit balance.

By default online customers can request a refund online if they have a minimum of 3 months direct debit payments as credit.

Customers can contact the Support Team to request further refunds but this is very time consuming and not a great use of the support team when they could be resolving complex issues.

We have a significant cost of living crisis and for some people having 3 months direct debit tied up means they will struggle. We shouldn't need to have to try and phone up to request an additional refund of credit, it should be self service. 

The idea is to reduce the minimum credit balance to 2 months worth of direct debit payments when applying for a refund online

This seems like a reasonable and pragmatic change given the current cost  of living situation, while limiting the downside risk of customers getting into too much debt. 

Thanks for this idea, @Jeffus. We can change this one to ‘open for votes’ for sure!

A reminder here that it’s only fixed customers that need credit in their account. Why? Our Direct Debit tool aims to get you to £0 by the end of your contract. That means credit is built in the summer, and a deficit between energy costs and payments result in the credit balance being lost in the winter. A refund stops this from working. A Direct Debit increase will be the result. Not ideal, but we give that option to our customers via our Support team, to ensure the conversation can happen to advise about the implications.  

More info here:

Support available here. 

New→Open for votes

Thanks for the update 

It is interesting that the way the Direct Debit tool works in some ways causes the limitation. 

I do wonder if that is the same for all suppliers. 

Unless you are a customer who gets the interest reward i can see why many would rather not have a large credit, particularly with rising interest rates. I tend to try and eek out lots of small savings that hopefully add up over the year.

On the flip side i see the advantage of smoothing payments for some in terms of piece of mind.

I think it is untimely about informed choice, and as much as possible self service via the OVO webpage. 

Keep up the good work! 

Some interesting points of view in this thread 

Â