Improve Greenlight's carbon forecast on OVO app

Related products: OVO app

The carbon forecast on the OVO app shows 6 hourly time slots per screen, which have to be swiped through a block at a time, so 7 swipes to show the whole 48 hour period. By the time I’ve moved a couple of swipes I’ve lost track of which day the times are referring to, particularly when the text labels run into each other and become unreadable.

If the graph was turned through 90 degrees the time slots could run down the screen, labels would be one per line and if day names could be included eg at midnight the whole thing would be more readable.

Thanks for this idea, @juliamc 

I’ll be making sure the relevant product team updates this idea with the relevant status within our 2 week time frame by the 12th.

Keep those ideas coming! 

There’s been a delay with our OVO app product team coming back to us with some insight on this one. I’ll be opening this idea for votes now and this will put the idea back in the queue for our teams to review.

Thanks for bearing with us on this one, @juliamc!

Updated idea statusNewOpen for votes

Hi can someone tell me how this actually works? The other night it said in 10 hours time it would be green for 5 hours, so I set my washing machine and dishwasher to come on, I just happened to still be in the house when it came on checked the app and it was orange! I really don’t understand it! Twitter was no help they said I set it up! And i May of overused but I hadn’t put anything else on!

help please 

I now use the National Grid ESO app which gives a map of the country showing carbon intensity, also the next 6 x 2 hour slots with their carbon intensity. It would be nice if that data was refined so your own area was broken down into 2 hour slot forecasts too, but a pattern is emerging. Mostly it’s affected by the weather. I’m hoping one day the Met Office weather report will include carbon reports.

So it not any cheaper to switch the machines on when it’s green?? 

That would be the ideal situation and it depends very much on your tariff. Some providers will offer that but I don’t think OVO do yet other than with their EV charging tariff. Currently most people are on the government EPG rate.

To make a rate work where ‘green’ is cheap the ‘red’ would have to be very expensive in comparison. One day this will come I imagine.

However by waiting until your own area is ‘green’ for running higher energy appliances you’ll know you are doing your bit, saving fossil fuels and using renewables.

OVO’s Anytime EV tariff with a smart charger that is… please correct me if I’m wrong !

Hi @juliamc, an update for you here:

We're currently working on our new Greener Energy offering which will be launched over April and May of 2023. 

This is going to be good!

Good news, I hope they consider the difference having a heat pump makes to their calculations as apparently an enormous amount of my electricity goes on fridges and freezers ! I still only have a hob as my only gas appliance but the usage tells me my gas goes on heating or hot water 🤦‍♀️

I’d be happy to test their new version before it goes live…?

You’re in the right private group already for any prototype testing. I’ll reach out as and when there’s something lined up!