"Export to csv" feature for usage data of the online account

Related products: Online account

A “save to csv” button option in the usage pages.

• Choose electricity or gas
  • Choose a date range (could be one day, or up to 6 months)
  • Choose granularity (by day, or by half-hour period)

A simple-format csv file is produced that contains the data, with days in rows.
There would be a single column on LHS with the date in standard excel-compatible numeric code.

If you asked for “by day” granularity then there would just be a single 2nd column, with kWh per day.

If you asked for “half-hour” granularity then there would be 48 columns to the right of the datecode (so a total of 49 columns), showing  kWh usage for each half-hour period for each day.

This links to the following old thread:

… and also this recent chat in the Power Move trial …

As a workaround. 

If you have already signed up to the Bright app, they have a website where you can download the data to a csv file. Same login. 

http://www.smarttariffsmartcomparison.org/home

To convert the date stamp field use the following formula and format the cell as appropriate. 

=((A2/1000)/86400)+DATE(1970,1,1)

@ajr @Emmanuelle_OVO 

there is a similar idea already open, perhaps combine and take the best bits from both?

Most of the data visualized on the website are available as JSON. If you can work out how to use these data in Excel, say, they’re all at your fingertips, e.g.:

Meter readings for the past 400 days: https://smartpaymapi.ovoenergy.com/rlc/rac-public-api/api/v5/supplypoints/electricity/{MPAN}/meters/{MSN}/readings
where {MPAN} and {MSN} are your specific MPAN and meter serial number. This is the basis for almost all the rest.

Direct Debit suggestions: https://smartpaymapi.ovoenergy.com/pace/recommended-dds/v1/{account}/projected-costs?limitNextYear=true

where {account} is your OVO account number, e.g. 3123456

There are plenty more data available.

PS: You may come across authentication faults. Just make sure you’re signed into your My Ovo account in the same browser session before trying to access the smartpaymapi pages. 

@ajr @Emmanuelle_OVO 

there is a similar idea already open, perhaps combine and take the best bits from both?

This is the same crossed wire as on the “Power Move” thread. That request is about separating “power export” data (e.g. solar panel) from “usage” data. I am just wanting a “file export”. Different uses of the word “export”, so they are quite different requests/ideas, actually!

@ajr @Emmanuelle_OVO 

This is the same crossed wire as on the “Power Move” thread. That request is about separating “power export” data (e.g. solar panel) from “usage” data. I am just wanting a “file export”. Different uses of the word “export”, so they are quite different requests/ideas, actually!

They sound very similar to me actually! 

There’s been a delay to getting this idea, sorry about that, @ajr!

We’ll convert this into a ‘Open for votes’ idea now, which will ping it across to the online account team to come back to us on. 

Most of the data visualized on the website are available as JSON. If you can work out how to use these data in Excel, say, they’re all at your fingertips, e.g.:

Meter readings for the past 400 days: https://smartpaymapi.ovoenergy.com/rlc/rac-public-api/api/v5/supplypoints/electricity/{MPAN}/meters/{MSN}/readings
where {MPAN} and {MSN} are your specific MPAN and meter serial number. This is the basis for almost all the rest.

Direct Debit suggestions: https://smartpaymapi.ovoenergy.com/pace/recommended-dds/v1/{account}/projected-costs?limitNextYear=true

where {account} is your OVO account number, e.g. 3123456

There are plenty more data available.

PS: You may come across authentication faults. Just make sure you’re signed into your My Ovo account in the same browser session before trying to access the smartpaymapi pages. 

In the meantime, @Firedog can you explain to us simpler folk, if this is a public API? People have been asking for such a thing for years…

NewOpen for votes

From the glowmarkt.com website if you already have the free Bright app. 

In the meantime, @Firedog can you explain to us simpler folk, if this is a public API? People have been asking for such a thing for years…

eNot sure how I missed this - it was Jeff’s post just now that brought it to my attention.]

I haven’t found out how to automate this yet, but since the data are available all the time anyway, it’s fairly simple. Here’s how I just downloaded my meter readings for the past 400 days (the ‘13 months’ worth’ that the regulations require):

1. Open a browser tab (I use Edge; it should work in others, too), visit account.ovoenergy.com and sign in.
  2. Open another tab and go to
    https://smartpaymapi.ovoenergy.com/orex/api/meter-readings/3198692
    putting your own account number at the end instead of mine.
    This produces for me a wall of JSON data. 
  3. Copy the whole page (in Windows, Ctrl-A C to select All and Copy it)
  4. Open yet another tab and go to
    JSON To CSV Converter (convertcsv.com).
    It’s a very cluttered page, but the steps are fairly well labelled and it works well. 
  5. At Step 1, paste into the box. The defaults at Step 2 worked fine for me.
  6. At Step 3, click Convert JSON to CSV
    The box below should fill up with data.
  7. Scroll down a bit to see Save your result. Type a new file name if you wish, then Download result.
    QED

There’s quite a bit of superfluous data - the MSN on each row, for example - but that’s simple enough to remove in a spreadsheet. You’ll see that the data are sorted new>old.
I don’t have any gas readings, but I expect them to appear below those for electricity. 

There is another API that looks as if it exposes either one or the other:
https://smartpaymapi.ovoenergy.com/rlc/rac-public-api/api/v5/supplypoints/electricity/1100001493019/meters/16P0907174/readings 

You’d have to play with this URL to get the data you want: electricity|gas, MPXN and MSN (the ones I’m showing are bogus, BTW).

It would be good to hear if these work for you, and whether one of the URLs is better than the other in your view.

@Jeffus From the glowmarkt.com website if you already have the free Bright app. 

And so it does! The consumption figures for each time period in nice CSV. Looks ideal.

Couple of questions in case anyone knows here:

• my data (downloaded or in the Bright app) only seems to start when I registered for Bright. The SmartMeter was installed years ago - any idea if I can get historical data? Other apps seem to manage it (but no download!).
  • My Electric & Gas meters are listed - can my new Electric Export MPAN be added? That would be most useful.

@Jeffus From the glowmarkt.com website if you already have the free Bright app. 

And so it does! The consumption figures for each time period in nice CSV. Looks ideal.

Couple of questions in case anyone knows here:

• my data (downloaded or in the Bright app) only seems to start when I registered for Bright. The SmartMeter was installed years ago - any idea if I can get historical data? Other apps seem to manage it (but no download!).
  • My Electric & Gas meters are listed - can my new Electric Export MPAN be added? That would be most useful.

Hi @mavison 

The Bright team are good at responding

Try emailing 

support@glowmarkt.com

Hi @mavison

You could also try this as they mention production. Let us know id that works 

https://data.n3rgy.com/consumer/home

@Tim_OVO 

It does seem quite surprising OVO don't offer this feature as it will be driving customers to 3rd party apps even more these days and other suppliers like Octopus.

It seems strange this idea was never picked up over time. One of the more obvious Ideas to pursue. 

A quick update on this one from our product team:

Our Energy Insights team are currently working on this feature and we hope to have more information on when this will be live in the second half of 2023.

I’m looking forward to this! 

A quick update on this one from our product team:

Our Energy Insights team are currently working on this feature and we hope to have more information on when this will be live in the second half of 2023.

<checks calendar : ooh it’s now September 2023!> Any more info ?

//M

<notes extreme age of this feature request, back some 4 years it seems>

Hi @Matt 4567

Just getting the latest update on this for you. Bear with. 

so @Matt 4567 it turns out it's already released!

On the OVO app head to the Usage section, then the view table and it's down the bottom:

We’ll mark this feature idea as completed. Please let us know if you have any issues or feedback about it. 

Open for votesCompleted

This is great … but the feature is only on the app not on the desktop site?

This is a bit of a minor issue, since my spreadsheets live on a desktop environment. Having to download usage via an app (which I don’t currently use, or particularly want), then export to somewhere where the spreadsheet can pick it up, is all extra faffing about.  

I’ll pass that feedback on, Matt - much appreciated.

This seems to only allow me to download the current view of the data. To get half hourly figures for a month (for Power Move monitoring) I would have to download a separate file for each day.

Please can we have one click to get half hourly data for the month to date. 

Interesting this, @Simon 1402. Is that the same for others e.g @Matt 4567? Once confirmed, @Simon 1402 it might be good to get this set up as a separate feature idea. Let’s just confirm it’s a feature limitation and not an issue first...

@Tim_OVO It is a feature limitation, I have the same. As a workaround for now (aimed at people wanting to monitor their Autumn “Power Move” challenge progress, but others may find it helpful for other reasons) I’ve posted an Excel template (with instructions) into which you can paste the downloaded watt-accurate 400 day 30min data (using the link from @Jeffus above) in Forums →  Calculating whether you have hit the 12.5% target or not

Interesting this, @Simon 1402. Is that the same for others e.g @Matt 4567? Once confirmed, @Simon 1402 it might be good to get this set up as a separate feature idea. Let’s just confirm it’s a feature limitation and not an issue first...

Same for me 

This seems to only allow me to download the current view of the data. To get half hourly figures for a month (for Power Move monitoring) I would have to download a separate file for each day.

Please can we have one click to get half hourly data for the month to date. 

Exactly this!

I want to see a month’s (e.g., but over any designated time period would be nice) worth of data, but in half-hourly increments.  Added up over the calendar axis if you will, but kept as detailed bins in the 24-hour direction.  So whatever the integration time period, I always want 48 values.

An immediate application is the Power Move campaign, but it could be useful for other reasons. Let’s say I buy a new appliance. What does the average half-hourly consumption look like before and after the change?  

Cheers, Matt