Tutorial

UK Generation and Transmission - the 20 year plan

• 1 December 2023
  • 8 replies
UK Generation and Transmission - the 20 year plan
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The National Grid ESO have released a document detailing plans for the Electricity Transmission system in the UK for the next 10-20 years.

It is available to read fully here

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/research-and-publications/electricity-ten-year-statement-etys/etys-documents-and-appendices

Ā 

Our current generation and transmission grid looks like this

UK Generating Plant 2023
UK Grid Transmission System 2023

Some may wonder why there are regional variations in the CO2 emission figures but it is based around regional generating plant, even though the whole system is interconnected.

Ā 

Some may also wonder why we still have coal burning generation. During winter months and high demand, currently the systemĀ can provide the extra needed to deliver to demand. Additionally, as we bring on more renewable energy sources, coal and gas plant are sometimes required to provide stability to the grid locally to ensure the transmission system is synchronised at 230v 50Hz. Historically, rotating plant have been used to provide this service and so in some situations, coal generation may be employed solely in this role until newer technologies enable local synchronisation for renewable feeds.Ā 

UK Reactive Compensation Plant 2023

Alongside the continental feeds, you will see the wind farms, solar parks and now battery storage plant begin to link into the grid giving a different balance to energy delivery. Domestic and commercial feeds from solar, battery and additional micro-generation also need a control to keep the grid stable and secure and as the development progresses, smaller scale balance points will need to be added.

While there is regional generation, as mentioned earlier, the whole system is linked and so the flow of energy is important to plan so that delivery can be efficient.

If you think about your home wiring, each power circuit is built as a loop. This ensures that a flow is possible from each direction, making power delivery resilient.

The national grid is built with a similar mentality such that power flow can be switched to best serve needs. However, not all parts of the grid are capable of delivering full power and so modelling this at peak demand requires careful review.

Ā 

Imagine the complexity of this with the variety of feeds alongside the intercontinental cable links.

Future Power Flow Model

It can take a significant plan to deliver on upgrading the grid in this way ā€“ and at the same time, maintain power delivery ā€“ and so a multi-year plan has been developed to provide this.

Alongside this, it is also important for fault characteristics to be considered and there are a number of documents which relate to this. Considering the number of possible interactions with the grid (from regional authorities to electrical contractors), techniques are developed to establish connection and test standards to be adhered to ensuring safety in what can be a highly dangerous situation.

NG ESO say ā€œOur analysis this year continues to show growing system needs driven primarily by low carbon and renewable generation. This will drive requirements for new network capability as we continue to move towards the 2035 government target of 100% zero carbon electricity system and beyond. Much of this network capability will be delivered through new infrastructure, both onshore and offshore, and hence we fully support the recommendations in the Transmission Commissioners report which will enable a more timely and streamlined delivery of this new infrastructure.ā€

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/document/286591/download

Ā 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Looks good.

My only comment is that I personally think there is too much focus on coal in the post.

We only have one coal power station site left. The rest closed over the summer.

The peak periods recently have been covered primarily by gas and interconnections and large scale industries shifting usage (not the same as the Demand Flexibility Scheme, although this has obviously helped)

The final coal plant closes in September 2024

https://www.uniper.energy/united-kingdom/power-plants-in-the-united-kingdom/ratcliffe-soar

It can generate up to 2GW

The orange line is gas, the red line is coal

Coal has been bobbing along at just under 1GW most of the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Looks good.

My only comment is that I personally think there is too much focus on coal.

We only have one coal power station left. The rest closed over the summer.

The peak periods recently have been covered primarily by gas and interconnections and large scale industries shifting usage (not the same as power move plus)

On my bit or their report?

From what I understand, the last remaining coal plant is mainly being used as a regional grid stability facility rather than generation at present. This has been done before with Fawley, Richborough and others before their decommissioning. The replacement technology is available but is only just being deployed. They blogged about it a while ago.Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Looks good.

My only comment is that I personally think there is too much focus on coal.

We only have one coal power station left. The rest closed over the summer.

The peak periods recently have been covered primarily by gas and interconnections and large scale industries shifting usage (not the same as power move plus)

On my bit or their report?

From what I understand, the last remaining coal plant is mainly being used as a regional grid stability facility rather than generation at present. This has been done before with Fawley, Richborough and others before their decommissioning. The replacement technology is available but is only just being deployed. They blogged about it a while ago.Ā 

On your write up at least. I havenā€™t read the blog.

It makes it sound we still have quite a bit of coal which is now not correct for stability or peak coverage. Of course it was in the past. It is not so important now although playing a small part, some of which is for political reasons.

The blog is dated 2020

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It makes it sound we still have quite a bit of coal which is now not correct for stability or peak coverage. Of course it was in the past. It is not so important now

Ok, Iā€™ve changed one word which I think goes to your point. I wanted to mention coal as many wonder why itā€™s still being used but it is mainly as a regional stability hub

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It is great we are almost done with coal.

Interestingly we increased gas electricity production over the years as renewable didn't increase fast enough and nuclear tailed off for now at least.

Orange is gas, red is coal, light blue is nuclear

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It makes it sound we still have quite a bit of coal which is now not correct for stability or peak coverage. Of course it was in the past. It is not so important now

Ok, Iā€™ve changed one word which I think goes to your point. I wanted to mention coal as many wonder why itā€™s still being used but it is mainly as a regional stability hub

Sorry I don't.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for putting this together, @BPLightlog!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A recent update from National Grid

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/news/britains-electricity-explained-2023-review

andĀ 

https://www.nationalgrid.com/the-great-grid-upgrade