Solved

Solar battery capacity - how to work out what's needed

Userlevel 3
Badge

I’m trying to work out what capacity batteries I need for an existing  solar PV array….my average consumption in the  5 month October-February period is 12kW per day and for the other seven (summer) months its 7kW/day. 

generation works out at 2000 kW per year obviously heavily loaded to April-September.

so what suggestions for the battery capacity ( assuming a 20% margin )?

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 9 March 2024, 19:49

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Good day. Personally I wouldn’t go for less than 5-6 kWh battery. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

[Disclaimer: I don’t have any PV panels and no experience of them or of battery storage 🙂]

I would have thought that the maximum draw would also come into the equation. Your daily consumption (7-12 kWh) won’t be neatly spread over the 24 hours; to take an extreme example, much of it might be concentrated into a couple of half-hours as residents take electric showers drawing perhaps 10 kW for five or ten minutes. If the sun isn’t shining at the time, you might end up with flat batteries until it does.

I suspect that @BPLightlog will be along shortly to say ‘work out what you think you need, then double it.’

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’m also hoping BP will give some advice.

Assuming your meter gives half hourly readings you can study your usage charts to see your actual pattern. In my case with a heat pump I’m most interested in the amount used during the winter months. 

I don’t have PV yet (getting very close now) so I’ll be paying for PV and battery together, so I don’t want to overspend on one bit of tech and not be able to afford the other. I also wondered if the size of the inverter is just related to the PV size or is it influenced by the battery size ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi all, sorry - busy day

I will start by saying, whatever you determine, you can always use more and now with retrofit batteries getting a vat benefit (lower rate), it’s a good time , although no one is sure how long this is for. 

As for capacity, it will partly need to be coordinated by the inverter as that can set which batteries and what/when you can add. 
Another element is if you are going to let the batteries ‘lull’ over the worst winter months or if you might charge from the grid (if you can get a better rate overnight - there are tariffs around).

Besides your consumption (a good starting measure), it’s also good to work out a ‘max’ draw .. that is what are you going to switch on at the same time (kw). The system (check your inverter/control) will have a maximum output it can deliver and therefore even with full batteries and solar generation, you might have times when you’ll draw from the grid as well.

Take everything into consideration and get an estimate figure. Many batteries add in 2.4kW chunks. Depending on your budget, 4.8kW is a reasonable starting point but 9.6kW is better and so on. We began with 4.8 but now have 14.4 (I’d still like more 😬)

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Great feedback on this. Suggest higher than 9.6kw. 

with regards to 10kw shower that will “gulp” power immensely. 😆 that is something that I never use now. 😝 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m also hoping BP will give some advice.

😁

I don’t have PV yet (getting very close now) so I’ll be paying for PV and battery together, so I don’t want to overspend on one bit of tech and not be able to afford the other. I also wondered if the size of the inverter is just related to the PV size or is it influenced by the battery size ?

Your inverter will be your ‘limiter’ in this instance @juliamc . Its specification will determine the maximum that can be delivered (same for charging rate) at a time. Obviously the batteries will soak up the excess generation and deliver their power over time but the inverter is the restriction to how much, so check what its rating is alongside your DNO approval level

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So I need to know what size battery I’m getting before I commit to the inverter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

So I need to know what size battery I’m getting before I commit to the inverter.

Not necessarily. The inverter will usually cope with more battery storage than its rating. 
For example a 5kw inverter can have more storage than 5kw in batteries. It just won’t allow more than 5kw through at once.

Calculate your system ‘size’ as I mentioned earlier and then add batteries to cover a day or so in a separate calculation. Just make sure that your inverter can have more battery storage added later should you want/need

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks  all who have commented on this issue.   Lots of different suggestions. 

I have checked the output on my inverter and it indicates 2 kW.

We dont have sudden huge surges such as 10Kw shower

maximum daily peak over the summer and winter is 6 kW and that for a very short time...I’d estimate the average is no more than 4 kW

Bearing in mind all these points I think a 6Kw should suffice…..

Userlevel 7
Badge

… my average consumption in the  5 month October-February period is 12kW per day and for the other seven (summer) months its 7kW/day. 

generation works out at 2000 kW per year

You might like to refresh your elementary physics knowledge, because you may be confusing energy and power. The three figures you quote here are amounts of  energy, measured in kilowatt hours (kWh). Power is the rate of consuming or generating energy, measured in kilowatts.

You multiply power P by time t to find the amount of energy E; you divide an amount of energy by time to get the power: 

P x t = E

E ÷ t = P

In round, nominal figures only, subject to losses and other factors, it would take a 2kW inverter 3 hours to charge a 6kWh battery.  

My household uses 85% of its daily electricity consumption between 7 AM and midnight. If the same applied to yours, your average power draw during the day would be about 0.75 kW, so your fully-charged battery would cover you for 8 of the daytime hours (8 h x 0.75 kW = 6 kWh).

Sorry if I’m trying to teach grandmother to suck eggs 😉

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I definitely need help as a fog descends every time I approach this subject. 

Rather than looking at my daily usage to work out what battery and inverter I need, I thought I might try to calculate how long a full charge would last on a given day, with various sizes of kit. Does this make sense ?

My heaviest electricity usage day this winter this was 18th Jan. As an experiment I ran the heat pump all through the night, and with other usual stuff too I used 48 kWh, and the outside temperature went from -7 degC to +3 degC

This graph is from my energy bill - I’m on Octopus Go so have 4 hours at a cheap rate (red line):

18th Jan 48 kWh consumption

I’m not intending to buy battery storage to get me through this amount of use of course !!! and this would have been a very low solar day too.

The 16th Feb was an unusually mild day, outside temps between +9 degC and +14 degC:

16th Feb 15 kWh consumption

I’d hope a battery would get me through this kind of day…

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I definitely need help as a fog descends every time I approach this subject. 

Rather than looking at my daily usage to work out what battery and inverter I need, I thought I might try to calculate how long a full charge would last on a given day, with various sizes of kit. Does this make sense ?

Yes, that’s a decent view to have a look at

My heaviest electricity usage day this winter this was 18th Jan. As an experiment I ran the heat pump all through the night, and with other usual stuff too I used 48 kWh, and the outside temperature went from -7 degC to +3 degC

This graph is from my energy bill - I’m on Octopus Go so have 4 hours at a cheap rate (red line):

18th Jan 48 kWh consumption

I’m not intending to buy battery storage to get me through this amount of use of course !!! and this would have been a very low solar day too.

The 16th Feb was an unusually mild day, outside temps between +9 degC and +14 degC:

16th Feb 15 kWh consumption

I’d hope a battery would get me through this kind of day…

Again, yes, you might assume so. 
Unfortunately all of the calculations are a little on the guesstimate side as you never know exactly what solar activity will give, nor exactly what draw will be required. 
Given the OE Go pricing you could also recharge batteries at that time of course and it would be a huge system to cover every possible eventuality. Most don’t look to fully cover the worst day so perhaps also look at an average during say October. 
But as long as you have your system (particularly the inverter) which allows more batteries to be added later (not all do) then I’m sure it will be a significant benefit. 
Don’t forget that any good installer will also look to plan best coverage depending on location, shading etc