Skip to main content

I asked support if they could provide hourly or ½ hourly gas usage date for the prior year as I need this for analysis for optimizing a heat pump set up. They informed me they only have it by day. I am currently embarking on the arduous task of copying and pasting this from the online usage data into an EXCEL file day by day!! Has anyone else asked for a similar data file or found a easy way to extract this data?

You could try sites such as Glowmarkt (or their Bright App) or n3rgy - Unified access to smart energy data (who supply gas usage data in m3 rather than kWh). There are others as well. I’m sure others will chip in with their suggestions.

With Glowmarkt you will need to supply your MPAN number and may/might be able to get data going back up to 12 months depending on how long your smart meter has been logging data and the frequency of reading (daily or half-hourly). Data can be downloaded as a CSV file and then imported straight into Excel. If you link the data (rather than copy/paste) you should be able to simply refresh the data after each download.

Good luck!

They’re all there (with greater precision) if you know where to look!

Sadly, though, only for one day at a time as far as I can tell. If you know your way around Excel, you may be able to reduce that painful C&P process (which you can’t rely on anyway, because the web pages include a summertime fudge that distorts the results).

The data - in JSON format - for any day since your smart meter was installed are here:

smartpaymapi.ovoenergy.com/usage/api/half-hourly/nnnnnnn?date=yyyy-mm-dd

where nnnnnnn is your OVO account no. To get access to the page, open a new browser session, visit OVO Portal and sign in to your account. Then open the API page in a new tab in the same session (OK for Edge and Chrome - I can’t say whether it works or not in any other browser. I think both browsers have a built-in JSON prettifier so you don’t just see an impenetrable block of code). Beware that the sign-in only lasts for 30 minutes.

I’m really lazy, but finger memory has got each day’s activity down to a few moments. I just copy the whole JSON page and paste it into an Excel sheet where I have a macro that filters and sorts and pastes the interesting data into two columns, Date and kWh, ready to paste the usage figures wherever I want them.

PM me if you’d like a bit of help.

It looks like some of the third-party utilities that make this even easier are having trouble these days: n3rgy data - accessing smart energy data 

Thank You BeePee and Firedog - I will be investigating these solutions.

I tried Glomarket, but that only returned a few months of data.

I’ve just looked at Firedogs solution and although I have some understanding of the concept, as you can only output one day at a time, I find copying and pasting the data direct from the individual day usage webpage into an EXCEL spreadsheet a lot easier. I strip out the kWh trailing digits using a text formula, and then periodically convert text to numbers so it becomes usable data. What a faff, shame OVO cannot share our own data with us in a usable format.

Hi @Phil225xe 

Glowmarkt and the Hildebrand smart app should be able to recover 12 months worth of data from the meter (assuming you have had a smart meter for longer than 12 months of course!). Have a read of

How to recover historical meter readings- Would this information be retained on the meter | The OVO Forum

which also links to

Energy usage data from third party Apps: Ivie, Loop and Hugo - my guide | The OVO Forum

I obtained a full 12 months from Glowmarkt for myself and a neighbour. It may also take a while to back-fill the data.

Glowmarkt/Hilderbrand support is very good and responsive should you have issues.

It would be nice to do this directly from OVO, however some suppliers are still in the dark ages. No facility to download at all and quarterly or half yearly statements which makes it a pain to see how much you owe (or are in credit) from day to day (my mother’s accounts).