Solved

Can anyone recommend an economical stand alone electric heater?

• 5 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Can anyone recommend an economical standalone electric heater? We are thinking this would be a better solution for my husband who works from home than turning on the heating.

icon

Best answer by M.isterW 5 November 2022, 11:44

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I would say any plug-in oil filled radiator rather than a fan heater, but make sure you’re only heating a small room that has good insulation, though let him out from time to time for air!!  Fingerless gloves if he’s at a keyboard and no sitting still for long periods of time.

Thank you... and yes agree might be good to let him escape for a bit each day..although Ince he has his cosy room he may not want to!

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

All electric heaters are about 100% efficient so the decision is how you want the heat to be delivered.

A fan heater will fill a room with warm air but won't radiate much heat. It's great for making a small room feel cosy but can be noisy.

An oil filled radiator will radiate heat, so is great for warming your feet or putting under a desk to warm yourself but won't heat the entire room so quickly.

An infrared panel heater is like the heat from the sun so will heat an object (or the side of the object facing the panel) but takes a long time to heat the air.

Userlevel 2

I work from home too and used an oil filled electric radiator which was ‘ok’ - I much prefer a soft electric throw over the chair and around my shoulders. Its so much cosier and you can regulate temperature much better

Martin Lewis was right when he said to ‘heat the human’ not the home

I do put the central heating for a minimum of 30 mins a day to make sure it wont get damp etc but I have a small bungalow and the radiators stay hot for ages once turned off

Userlevel 7

This is a great thread with great advice. I never considered the different types of electric heating in this way before!

We’ll make sure to keep this topic on its own with a great title and best answer. So if anyone has any other advice in the meantime, jump in! It’s super relevant at the moment with higher prices and colder weather. Speaking of which, here’s some resources which may be helpful. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/customer-support-package