Solved

Best location for solar battery, should I have an external installation?

• 8 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

I have bben advised that having solar barreries in my loft adjacent to current inverter is not advised and as a result the batteries need installation outside.  This is fine but to maintain best efficency in very hot/very cold weather I am advised that they should be insulated.  As this will be a new installation should I heed this  advice and make room for some sort of insulation in the very cold or very hot weather?

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 8 March 2024, 17:24

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jaybell , it’s very unusual for batteries to be installed outside. Have the installers said why?

Most specifications suggest internal installation or at least not exposed to rain. 
Many other do have theirs installed in the loft - you just have to be careful of high temperatures. Alternatively, a garage or other space might be ideal. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

The proposed installers ( 15years experience) say that conditions in loft lead to less than best performance from batteries and in my case I have adequate and suitable space at house rear for batteries. Garage  installation in my case impractical  ( though if EV  required in the future this would be sensible) and the connection length similar to my proposed battery site.

The hefty expenditure proposed means I want to have as much info as poss before deciding capacity ( see my other recent question* ), as well as exploring the further options of exporting surplus ( I already have export MPAN and selling at present at 0.5p/unit)  from batteries especially when generation capacity exceeds domestic needs.   Octopus looks a sensible bet for this: so comments on this would be helpful. many thanks!!

• posted today in solar battery capacity 
Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Temperature is a key consideration (hot & cold) but besides insulation for an outdoor enclosure, you might need to consider the whole potential temperature max/min in winter. There will be details in the technical specifications