Solved

Applied for OVO's smart export guarantee (SEG) - how long till it's set up?

Show first post

58 replies

Wondering if anyone has recently had their SEG approval and how long has it taken?

Submitted ours on 27th April and still waiting. Called the SEG team today and was told ‘they are taking a very long time’!

Hey @JohnDB 

Glad to hear you’ve had a good experience with the Support Team, and they’ve been able to confirm some of the details for you.

Hopefully they get back to you with the rest soon. Keep us updated on how you get on with this.

I sent my application in on 27th April. I called the FIT team last week and was told that he couldn’t give me an update and had no idea when my application would be sorted and just to wait as they are taking a long time. Wasn’t that helpful really! 

Userlevel 1

If I believe OVO,  it is my local electricity distributor, another company, who are dealing with my application so slowly.  So if I were now to start another application to Octopus I would probably experience the same slow processing and from a later start.  I’m therefore waiting.  It seems to me that neither OVO nor my local electricity distributor has any financial motivation to deal with applications promptly - presently OVO get small amounts of electricity free from my panels.

If I believe OVO,  it is my local electricity distributor, another company, who are dealing with my application so slowly.  So if I were now to start another application to Octopus I would probably experience the same slow processing and from a later start.  I’m therefore waiting.  It seems to me that neither OVO nor my local electricity distributor has any financial motivation to deal with applications promptly - presently OVO get small amounts of electricity free from my panels.

I think you are correct.

Userlevel 1

Prompted by an aside on an Octopus video, I asked my DNO (see below) what my MPAN is and they replied within an hour!  Why has OVO not told me?  They know I am waiting!

Who is my electricity supplier and what's my MPAN? | UK Power Networks

So it now looks as if I can now switch to Octopus and apply to them for an export traiff!

What a hassle and waste of time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Prompted by an aside on an Octopus video, I asked my DNO (see below) what my MPAN is and they replied within an hour!  Why has OVO not told me?  They know I am waiting!

Who is my electricity supplier and what's my MPAN? | UK Power Networks

So it now looks as if I can now switch to Octopus and apply to them for an export traiff!

What a hassle and waste of time!

You’ve probably checked @JohnDB but it has to be the MPAN for export, not your normal supply MPAN

Userlevel 1

but I only have one just recently installed smart meter! Won’t the import and export MPAN be the same? 

[I am posting here because I know I only have a rough idea of the actual process, data, etc.]

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nope, they’re always different no matter what meter types are used.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Here’s an extract from the Ofgem document https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/2020/02/seg_generator_guidance_-_final_for_publication.pdf

Userlevel 1

OK I get it now.  There are separate import and export MPAN’s for the same smart meter at an address.

How can I find out what the glitch might be which is stopping OVO from telling me my export MPAN?  I cannot find out a tel no or URL for making such inquiries to OVO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The only number I know is the contact number -  tel:03303035063

and then I believe it’s option 4 for SEG

As you mentioned earlier, they do need to get in touch with your DNO to review but I’ve no idea on timing. 
There’s also an email which you may have used before seg@ovoenergy.com

There’s more info here 

I sent in all my documents in January. My installer provided a DNO from sp manweb and a pdf of the connection agreement. SP manweb also supplied a MPAN export number. I keep getting emails saying I haven’t supplied a DNO. I have called, emailed etc sent the documents numerous times but I just keep getting the same email saying they need a DNO in order to apply for an MPAN number. It’s like talking to a robot. I ask them to review the documents and the ask me to send a DNO. I’ve missed about £140 of seg so far. Got another email today asking for a DNO so they can apply for an MPAN number which I’ve sent them 5 times. The latest email says if I don’t send the information in ten days they will close the application. I don’t know what else to do

Userlevel 7

Hey @stevesemaphore,

I’m really sorry to hear this, it sounds very frustrating.

I’ve found a similar topic with the following advice:

I’ve recently been advised that a smart export guarantee (SEG) applicant is only eligible for SEG once an export supply number (MPAN) has been created. As soon as that's been done we ask the customer for an opening reading which is the point they will be paid from. Unfortunately we cannot make payment for anything exported before then.

At the moment there’s a longer time frame than usual for applications and emails to the SEG team. Any customers still waiting to be set up may wish to cancel their SEG application with OVO and re-apply elsewhere as a different supplier may be able to register them quicker. It's not ideal by any means but unfortunately we can't process any quicker than we currently are.

I’m sure you are emailing the correct address but just to confirm it’s: seg@ovoenergy.com.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

Two months after I made a SEG Application to OVO I lost patience with them.  All they could tell me on the progress of my application was a very general response that they were terribly busy.  I eventually found out how to email my DNO who replied within a few days, giving me my allocated export MPAN.  After a pause to be poorly for a while, I applied to transfer to Octopus, for both my gas and electricity consumption and my solar panel export (15p per kWh fixed).  After some web searching to find out how to read my two smart meters for units used to date (not obvious when faced with just the meters and no guidance), I am now with Octopus and am waiting to be told when I shall be paid for electricity exported.  I also have a credit balance with OVO that should now be repaid.  So I am nearing the end of my saga and am beginning to gain good experiences as a new customer of Octopus.

Userlevel 1

Yesterday Aug 24 2023, Octopus told me I was set up for export, and OVO actually refunded the £1,000+ credit built up on my account.  Tonight I sent Octopus my smart meter readings, so I should now be earning money from all that sunshine we have all been enjoying.  So Octopus took about 20 days to complete my SEG Application, albeit with an export MPAN already allocated.  Not bad, and much better than OVO!

The answer to the long delays from Ovo is for them to employ more staff and for them to have a dedicated phone line for the SEG team... COME ON OVO - MAKE US SOME HAPPY CUSTOMERS!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The answer to the long delays from Ovo is for them to employ more staff and for them to have a dedicated phone line for the SEG team... COME ON OVO - MAKE US SOME HAPPY CUSTOMERS!! 

There already is one. 0330 303 5063 dynamically adapts based on what it knows about the number you're calling from. If you only have FiT/SEG, you get sent directly to that team. Otherwise, its one of the options 

Based on my experience, anyone who gets any money from OVO for the Smart Export Guarantee in less than a year after applying for it will be doing well! I submitted my application, with all the required supporting docs, (MPAN and DNO were definitely in place) on 29th September last year (2022) and I still haven’t received a penny! It took me numerous emails and phone calls before I finally got confirmation that my application was accepted and I was signed up; finally on 20th June this year I got an email requesting an export reading. Rather ridiculously, given I have a smart meter (of course, you cannot get the SEG without one) I have to submit export readings manually every three months. I submitted my reading immediately, but didn’t get a confirmation of the amount owed me until 16th August, and that payment still hasn’t been made. (One positive note - the full amount of electricity exported since my solar panels were installed is going to be paid, i.e. the payment is backdated to the beginning.) Based on all this, and the pitiful rate paid for the electricity exported (4p/kwh vs 30p+/kwh to import) my advice would be to set up a contract with another supplier for SEG (probably Octopus) and steer clear of OVO - they clearly haven’t taken the support of SEG payments seriously, perhaps as others have suggested because there is no incentive for them to do so.

Why am I still waiting for SEG, to be sorted, been nearly a year, information has been sent has been confirmed via a telephone call, still not heard anything.

Can some one please help, please do not say we are really busy by sending that standard email, garuntee nobody reads it at your end.

Now considering contacting OfGem.

Userlevel 6

Hi @Dave V welcome to the Forum.

I’m really sorry to hear about this delay with your SEG.

We don’t have access to this here at the Forum. We’d recommend emailing the team to ask them about this and see what’s causing such a delay, you can email the team on seg@ovoenergy.com.

I do know that the team is genuinely very busy, and there are others affected by delays too, I’ve linked below to some similar topics. You can raise a complaint about this if you’ve not already done so.

Thankyou, OVO, have finally got to me, asking for my export reading.  Now have to wait for another period (again)

Wondering if anyone has recently had their SEG approval and how long has it taken?

Submitted ours on 27th April and still waiting. Called the SEG team today and was told ‘they are taking a very long time’!

Hi I’ve waited 3 months so far. Service from the SEG team, which appears to be outsourced is shocking. Difficulties with language and interpretation. OVO a leading supplier of energy in the UK and you offer a service that is exceptional in one way. Appalling bad. I think the best thing for anyone thinking of applying for SEG with OVO is to change to another supplier. I have seen messages like this going back for over a year in OVO forums 

Userlevel 7

@Dave V @robbo75 this is a real shame to hear this, I’m sorry you’ve both had such negative experiences.

There is always the option to raise a complaint, there is more information about our procedure on the website.  

On 3 Aug 23 by letter I was advised that my account would be moved from SSE where I had been a long standing supplying FIT customer. The letter indicated I could relax (ha, ha) while they take care of everything and all was in safe hands. These turn out to be valueless platitudes.

I have heard nothing further from OVO with regard to the so called migration and yet I understand the SSE FIT office has long since closed down.

I have sent in readings but had the response, repeated later to the effect they are too busy to respond. The only non automated (possibly) response indicated there was no record of my account. Nevertheless my FIT ID was correct when they wrote on 3Aug.

In a long and effectively time wasted phone call today, 3 months after migration was apparently started, I was told nothing could be done until migration is complete. I could be given no idea when that might be. There was no supervisor I could talk to apart from a complaint being raised within the office nothing could be done.

I have now made a complaint to OVO but have no confidence I will get any kind of response.

Are there others in this position? Any ideas on progressing the matter further would be appreciated.

Simon

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @sijulien

Some customers have posted they have successfully switched their FIT to Octopus after experiencing problems. So that is an option. 

Octopus have a form for that in Google docs. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe9COCPm8AnTjCzfg46i2ETETr30ofv9aRSwANLhV_AuIqTeQ/viewform

Thanks Jeffus. My intention is to move to Octopus but I am not sure that I can do that while the so called migration to OVO is (possibly) happening. But I will check.