Solved

Kia EV and OVO Charge Anytime - when will this be eligible for direct to vehicle (D2V)?

Show first post

62 replies

Badge

@Tim_OVO thanks that is actually helpful. Much appreciated.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Having read the previous posts I can see there are a few Kia EV owners wanting to use Charge Anytime. I am also a KIa EV3 owner with a Pod Point charger, and it would be extremely useful to know when support will be provided.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

PodPoint support might not be coming anytime soon unfortunately as they’re owned by EDF if memory serves. Kia support is something that I believe OVO wants to implement, but it requires Kia to approve it first.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Having read the previous posts I can see there are a few Kia EV owners wanting to use Charge Anytime. I am also a KIa EV3 owner with a Pod Point charger, and it would be extremely useful to know when support will be provided.

Unfortunately OVO have made clear there is no publicly available plan so your best bet currently may be the Intelligent Octopus tariff if you have a Kia? 

I suspect there may be a need to regularly flip between suppliers going forward to get the best EV rates as more products are launched. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

The problem with other EV tariffs is that the cheap rate is only available at a fixed period during the night. The idea of being able to charge at “anytime” is a compelling idea. Hopefully EVO will add support for KIa cars in the not too distant future. I don’t really want to switch suppliers as I’m currently on a fixed rate tariff that’s lower than the energy cap.

I didn’t know that Pod Point was acquired by EDF. Apparently this happened in 2020.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The problem with other EV tariffs is that the cheap rate is only available at a fixed period during the night. The idea of being able to charge at “anytime” is a compelling idea. Hopefully EVO will add support for KIa cars in the not too distant future. I don’t really want to switch suppliers as I’m currently on a fixed rate tariff that’s lower than the energy cap.

I didn’t know that Pod Point was acquired by EDF. Apparently this happened in 2020.

The situation is somewhat surprising given the number of Kia EVs OVO have purchased in the past

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest-fleet-news/electric-fleet-news/2021/01/12/ovo-energy-expands-electric-fleet-with-40-kia-e-niro-evs

Although neither is the Vauxhall Vivaro

https://evfleetworld.co.uk/ovo-energy-orders-1000-plus-vauxhall-electric-vans/

Userlevel 1
Badge

That’s interesting, and certainly begs the question as to why Kia are not yet supported.
It appears that neither the e-Niro nor the Niro EV are in the list.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That’s interesting, and certainly begs the question as to why Kia are not yet supported.
It appears that neither the e-Niro nor the Niro EV are in the list.

Yep interesting the electric vans and cars  OVO currently use are not supported yet at least. I suspect their staff have compatible charges given that is what OVO offer right now so they don't have an issue. 

Badge

hello  

kia e-niro is not on the OVO list of EV cars which connect via 

any ideas

Richard

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @richv , you could use one of the smart chargers approved and then you can use Charge Anytime

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers

It's either a compatible EV or a compatible charger

Badge

thanks for help 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a Kia Niro EV3 and a Pod Point home charger, and am obviously not going to change my charger, and do not want to change energy suppliers. Therefore I emailed smarthome@ovoenergy.com in July 2023 to register my interest in OVO’s Charge Anytime tariff on the advice of an OVO Energy representative at the Blenheim Palace EV Event, and here was the reply:

------------------------------------

Thanks for getting in touch.

We don't currently have a way to register interest for Charge Anytime. However we regularly update our Compatible Charge Anytime EVs and smart chargers page on the website for when new EVs are added to the list.

Thanks,

Nathan
Zero Carbon Living Ops Support Expert

------------------------------------

Perhaps, if more people ask, then Kia can make its way to the top of the list.
Badge

You would be better switching to Octopus energy as I too have a Kia Niro EV 3 arriving this month and have been waiting impatiently for Kaluza  to add Kia to list , I have a Sync EV charger and no intention of changing it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

You would be better switching to Octopus energy as I too have a Kia Niro EV 3 arriving this month and have been waiting impatiently for Kaluza  to add Kia to list , I have a Sync EV charger and no intention of changing it.

There’s been a lot of discussion on the Kia EV forums about continuing problems with Octopus Energy. It might be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve just seen today that Octopus have stopped Kia EV owners signing up because of numerous problems with charging failing overnight, and with continuous polling of the car causing the 12V battery to go flat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve just seen today that Octopus have stopped Kia EV owners signing up because of numerous problems with charging failing overnight, and with continuous polling of the car causing the 12V battery to go flat.

Which might be one reason why OVO hasn’t been able to add Kia support yet

Userlevel 1
Badge

Which might be one reason why OVO hasn’t been able to add Kia support yet

If only we had some visibility about when Kia will be added to the list

Is there a delay because Kaluza are encountering the same problems, or is there simply nothing happening? It would be good to know.

It’s a bit like waiting at the airport for a delayed flight and nobody tells you anything. 🙄

Badge

There’s been a lot of discussion on the Kia EV forums about continuing problems with Octopus Energy. It might be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Now with Octopus, Switch over went smoothly and car now charges with off peak rate, no intention of switching back to OVO, now out of the fire and into the frying pan.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Now with Octopus, Switch over went smoothly and car now charges with off peak rate, no intention of switching back to OVO, now out of the fire and into the frying pan.

Good luck. Hope it doesn’t go horribly wrong.

Badge

Thanks for the good luck and also your unbiased and constructive comments, your an asset to this forum.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve decided to purchase a used eNiro but have just read this worrying forum posting.  If I order an Ohme ePod untethered charger will that work okay with Ovo charging?

Paul

Userlevel 1
Badge

The Ohme ePod is a supported charge point.
I’m currently on the beta test program for the KIa Niro EV since the end of November 2023. My charge point is a Pod Point Solo 3. So far, no problems to report. It’s great having to only pay 7p/kWh to charge the car without a hike in the “day rate”. In fact, there is no day rate, as it’s an EV-only tariff. You can also take advantage of the OVO Power Power Challenge where you can get £15 per month off your electricity bill by reducing your power demands between 4pm and 7pm.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve not got a charger yet and queried the use of the Ohme ePod above, as an untethered charger using Ovo Energy and a Kia eNiro.   How would the charging be managed as the Kia salesman said I’d use the Kia app, YouTube videos on the Ohme suggest I use the Ohme app to program the desired charge percentage, and from what I’ve gathered Ovo controls the charge.  That’s seemingly three separate companies giving conflicting information on controlling the charge.  So in practice how goes it work?  

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Paul4AA as the Charge Anytime system uses either a compatible charger or EV and Ohme is a compatible charger you would (I believe) just use the Ohme app once connected to OVO. 
See here 

Userlevel 1
Badge

As BPLightlog said, you don’t need the OVO Anytime app if you have a compatible charge point. You just use the Ohme app, and turn off any charging schedules you have set in the car.
My Pod Point Solo 3 is not supported, so I use the OVO app to communicate directly with the car.