Skip to main content
Pinned Solved

Ford EV charging no longer working with Charge Anytime - what's happened?

I have a Ford Mach-E and have been using OVO charge anytime for about 4 months now.
But Ford have decided OVO is a security risk and has blocked the account.

Is anyone else using this successfully? Is there any plans for charge anytime to support Ford cars?

142 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Then why don’t you ask FordPass Support about who else they nuked? Trust me - it’s not just OVO.

Then why don’t you ask FordPass Support about who else they nuked? Trust me - it’s not just OVO.

They haven't nuked anyone. Fords current position is that they are monitoring API activity with the Ford pass app (from any energy provider) and are temporarily suspending Ford accounts. There is no litigation regarding this. OVO could keep access for those that chose to keep the status quo. Ford are continuing to reopen accounts on request.. OVO should keep access for those of us who can deal with this

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As mentioned, it is not supported by Ford and must be disabled at this time.

There is no "must be disabled" element to this. Ford have not asked anyone to stop, in fact the API company (Enode) are still showing the API as "live and active" for all Ford models. Obviously it makes sense for OVO not to bring new customers in, however no reason to stop existing ones.. Just another poor decision by OVO and I blame OVO as much as I blame Ford.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I won’t mention this again for now, however I will say it one more time.

Just because the API exists doesn’t mean you can use it - and at this time Ford does NOT want Energy Suppliers using said API, hence the bans for “Suspicious Activity” if you try.

OVO has always made it clear that for Charge Anytime to work with insert EV/Charger Vendor Here there must be the proper agreements in place (such as a contract and/or legal agreement to access the data) as well as the technical side like the integration code itself. If either of these are NOT in place, the integration cannot be released, or if it currently exists, must be disabled - especially if the other vendor requests and/or requires it.

That’s what has happened here - Ford has required ALL Energy Suppliers to cease using FordPass APIs and OVO has to comply whether they want to or not. There is no grandfather rule here either - it’s all or nothing.

I won’t mention this again for now, however I will say it one more time.

Just because the API exists doesn’t mean you can use it - and at this time Ford does NOT want Energy Suppliers using said API, hence the bans for “Suspicious Activity” if you try.

OVO has always made it clear that for Charge Anytime to work with insert EV/Charger Vendor Here there must be the proper agreements in place (such as a contract and/or legal agreement to access the data) as well as the technical side like the integration code itself. If either of these are NOT in place, the integration cannot be released, or if it currently exists, must be disabled - especially if the other vendor requests and/or requires it.

That’s what has happened here - Ford has required ALL Energy Suppliers to cease using FordPass APIs and OVO has to comply whether they want to or not. There is no grandfather rule here either - it’s all or nothing.

Ford has required ALL Energy Suppliers to cease using FordPass APIs

err, no they haven't

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

To discuss this further, please call 0330 175 9678 Option 2 - the Charge Anytime team will talk about it with you directly and will advise on your options.

There’s nothing more we can do via the Forum at this time.

Badge

I can confirm, moved to Octopus 3 days ago, next day switched into Octopus inteligent tariff and no issues with cheaper charging so OVO is just looking for an excuse... good luck with keeping customers...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As mentioned, this is not OVO exclusive issue. It affects everyone who tries to use Enode.

It doesn’t matter how often people say it is OVO only - I’m able to dig deeper and was able to confirm what I’m saying. You can literally just call the FordPass Team at Ford and they’ll tell you exactly what I’m saying here.

I have had on and off success with Charge Anytime  but it has been working ok for me for a few weeks now. So if I do get disconnected I’ll be off to Octopus Intelligent as they have confirmed it will work with my Mach E.

Seems like Octopus is the way to go for reliable charging. OVO have had 7 months to sort something out and have failed miserably. Don't be fooled by this being big bad Fords fault, there are work arounds that OVO never pursued.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not always - we do hear cases of Octopus customers getting banned from FordPass as well.

Ultimately, it’s up to you. However, if you quit OVO over this, then some would argue it’s unwise to moan about it on the Forum after you leave. It’s not something I enforce as such, but something to bear in mind.

But as mentioned, Ford banned pretty much all suppliers and is refusing to play ball. I have evidence that OVO really did try to find a solution, but it’s under NDA and cannot be published openly.

So OVO disconnected my Ford today from the Charge Anytime app even thought it has been working fine with no FordPass problems! Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@mikeandb In my previous comment I stated that Ford refused to play ball - OVO was forced to do this. Whether it was working for you or not, with no proper agreements in place OVO had no choice but to turn it off completely.

Badge

Oh wow go on vacation come back and my Ford is no longer working with OVO. It’s been working fine before this for a month or so after loads of previous issues.

So frustrated as I would love to replace my Ford right now, but can’t at the moment so stuck with it for now 😩

Guessing there is no timescale for any resolution to the APIs with Ford. Looks like I need to shop around again for an energy company that doesn’t use APIs 🤦‍♀️😩 These issues look like they will just keep on happening. The loser is always us the customer. 😭

This really isn’t helping me persuade friends and families to buy an EV!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oh wow go on vacation come back and my Ford is no longer working with OVO. It’s been working fine before this for a month or so after loads of previous issues.

So frustrated as I would love to replace my Ford right now, but can’t at the moment so stuck with it for now 😩

Guessing there is no timescale for any resolution to the APIs with Ford. Looks like I need to shop around again for an energy company that doesn’t use APIs 🤦‍♀️😩 These issues look like they will just keep on happening. The loser is always us the customer. 😭

This really isn’t helping me persuade friends and families to buy an EV!

We’ve already said that OVO had no choice but to disable the Ford integration with Charge Anytime as of the 31st July. Blame Ford for not playing ball.

Userlevel 2
Badge

So after 6 months of hoping OVO and Ford would get their acts together I have moved provider. 
can’t change car - if I could I would!!