Solved

Economy 7 meter - which reading is day/night?

• 3 July 2019
  • 2 replies

Hi OVO, I received repeated emails concerning my meter readings and I need your help here. I have a meter installed displaying both day/ night rates, by flickering one after the other constantly. They’re marked as Rate 1 and Rate 2, not specifically ‘day’ or ‘night’.
I just newly moved into this one bed flat and I'm an international student. It’s confusing even for my landlord to explain which rate refers to day/ night. But I’ve already set up a direct debit.
Here are both my readings and pics for this reading. Could you help by explaining to me how to understand the numerals?
Time for the meter readings: 3/July/2019, 9:30 am.
The day register ID and reading: 69766 (referred to as ‘rate 1’ on my meter).
The night register ID and reading: 28946 (refered to as ‘rate 2’ on my meter)

icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 4 July 2019, 11:20

Welcome to the forum, @kchenleeds.

Economy 7 meters can be confusing, especially if this is the first time you've come across them.

The main way to identify which reading is the day/night is by doing a load test - don't worry this is easier than it sounds.

Just read both readings on your electricity meter twice on the same day – firstly in the morning (after 9am) and secondly in the afternoon or evening (before 9pm). Take a note of both readings and whether they were shown on the rate 1/2 screen. You can post the results here - and we can let you know which one is the day and night.

Using your meter serial number in your picture, your Economy 7 peak times are 07.30 - 00.30 and your off peak (cheapest rates) are 00.30-07.30.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Welcome to the forum, @kchenleeds.

Economy 7 meters can be confusing, especially if this is the first time you've come across them.

The main way to identify which reading is the day/night is by doing a load test - don't worry this is easier than it sounds.

Just read both readings on your electricity meter twice on the same day – firstly in the morning (after 9am) and secondly in the afternoon or evening (before 9pm). Take a note of both readings and whether they were shown on the rate 1/2 screen. You can post the results here - and we can let you know which one is the day and night.

Using your meter serial number in your picture, your Economy 7 peak times are 07.30 - 00.30 and your off peak (cheapest rates) are 00.30-07.30.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
@kchenleeds Hi, meters are normally set with rate 1 as day and rate 2 as economy seven but sometimes they aren't!

Can you check if the little arrow pointing to the number one in your photo is flashing?

If it is, it means that that is the active rate at the time.