Solved

My tenants have moved, what do I do next?

• 13 November 2017
  • 10 replies

Hi,
My tenant has left the property. Currently, it is vacated - i.e. no tenant. They were with Ovo previously. What can I do now?

icon

Best answer by Mw2870 13 November 2017, 21:44

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 29/08/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO 

Thanks for getting in touch about the change in tenancy at your property. 

First things first, you’ll need to let us know you’re now responsible for the energy there, you can do this here or by contacting our Support Team. Even if you’re planning on switching suppliers, or finding new tenants we’ll need a temporary account created in order to cover the period before this happens. When we create your account we’ll check the date your tenants left and the meter readings on this date (unless you’ve got a smart meter) and create you an account starting from this point. 

The easiest way to keep an eye on your account is by logging in to your online account or downloading our app (available for iOS and Android). You can also close your account here when you’ve found new tenants by clicking on the ‘Moving Home’ menu option. Don’t forget to remind the new tenants to get in touch once they’ve moved in!

Good luck finding some new tenants. Any questions in the meantime, we’re happy to help! :slight_smile:

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

I have recently sold a property following a tenant eviction. There is no electricity at the flat and I need to carry out a boiler service. It would appear there is a meter at the property, how do I get electricity to the flat. The previous tenant is not living at the property?
Userlevel 5
Take a look at the best answer for more info, @DSF.

If your home has prepayment meters, you'll need to call the Boost team on 0330 102 7517. You can check out the Boost forum here.
Hello OVO, my property has been vacated by the tenants on 01/06/19 and I am now having work done on the house (so no directly new tenants). How do I switch the payments now to myself and can you make sure the tenant has paid their outstanding amounts please? It would be good to talk on the phone - [edited by moderator]. Thanks, Ruth
Userlevel 5
Hi @100074082 - I've moved your post onto this topic which should explain what you need to do. I've also edited your phone number out of your post as this is a public forum.

I am a landlord and my tenant has moved out and paid their bill. There will be a period of a few weeks before a new tenant moves in. Energy is still suppled to the house as the heating is on a low setting. How do I go about paying for the energy used between tenants?

Userlevel 6

Hi there.

You will need to call OVO and provide them with the meter readings from the day the tenants moved out. They will then set an account up in your name and you will be responsible for usage until the next set of tenants move in. You are free to stay with OVO or transfer to another company.

Pay monthly customers
0330 303 5063

Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm

Please reach out to our team, @marrterr, they’ll get you all set up! 

I'm a letting agent and I want to notify OVO the change of tenants on behalf of the owner. How can I do this? Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @TempleHomes !

That’s a good question actually. Probably the best advice I can give would be to let the Support Team know. In general, the easiest way to do this would be for the new tenant to contact OVO and set up a new account in their name. When they do this, the old account for the previous tenant/landlord will be closed out and the new tenant will become responsible for the supply.

While you might be able to do this on their behalf, it’s generally easier to let the tenant handle it. The only exception would be if the landlord is responsible for paying the bill as per the tenancy agreement (you’d know if that was the case).

Userlevel 7

Probably the best advice I can give would be to let the Support Team know. In general, the easiest way to do this would be for the new tenant to contact OVO and set up a new account in their name. When they do this, the old account for the previous tenant/landlord will be closed out and the new tenant will become responsible for the supply.

While you might be able to do this on their behalf, it’s generally easier to let the tenant handle it. The only exception would be if the landlord is responsible for paying the bill as per the tenancy agreement (you’d know if that was the case).

One thing I’d add to this, @TempleHomes - if there’s a gap between tenants, the lettings agency will be responsible for the property’s utilities for that time. So you can very much make contact with the Support Team (soon it will be possible to do this online), provide the dates and readings of the first day ‘you’ / the landlord became responsible, and then the new tenant can do the same when they move in. 

:robot: