Solved

Why is there a problem getting a smart meter in my area?

Show first post

31 replies

Userlevel 2

Thanks.  Just had an email back to say they will ask the engineer to just set it up as a dumb meter just now, so I presume I will just carry on sending in readings as normal.

Userlevel 7

How many meters? 

THTC is usually a two meter set up. Although pay as you go THTC meters normally only have one meter.

What does it do? 

With THTC you normally have two meters with one rate on each. One meter records all of the domestic usage at the property (lights, sockets etc) and the other records the usage from the heating and hot water at the property. 

On the heating control meter there is the stored circuit which gives a customer between 5 & 12 hours daily based on the weather forecast to store heat, and around 5 hours 45 minutes to heat water daily. Because the off peak times are determined in part by the weather forecast we are unable to tell a consumer exactly when the peak/off peak hours are. 

There is also the 24 hour off peak circuit, this is for any additional heating and hot water at the property; panel heaters, focal point fires, electric towel rails, electric showers, and to boost hot water. 

What about heating and hot water?

THTC was designed to work with storage heaters, and they should charge automatically during the off peak hours, along with the hot water. As long as any additional heating appliances are connected to the 24 hour circuit, they will be charged at the lower rate regardless of what time they are being used. This is not something we are able to check for a customer, they would need a private electrician to tell them what is wired where. 

To find out more about THTC and SHC please check out our helpful guide on the website.

Hey @Maureen D,

If you’re able to update this topic once you have the upgrade that would be really helpful for other customer arranging a meter exchange for THTC.

This is the information provided on our website:

We’ll soon be ending our support for some of our meters.

If you have a meter that’s affected, we’ll be in touch to arrange a meter and tariff upgrade to keep your heating and hot water working.

Or contact us now to arrange your upgrade.

Userlevel 2

How many meters? 

THTC is usually a two meter set up. Although pay as you go THTC meters normally only have one meter.

What does it do? 

With THTC you normally have two meters with one rate on each. One meter records all of the domestic usage at the property (lights, sockets etc) and the other records the usage from the heating and hot water at the property. 

On the heating control meter there is the stored circuit which gives a customer between 5 & 12 hours daily based on the weather forecast to store heat, and around 5 hours 45 minutes to heat water daily. Because the off peak times are determined in part by the weather forecast we are unable to tell a consumer exactly when the peak/off peak hours are. 

There is also the 24 hour off peak circuit, this is for any additional heating and hot water at the property; panel heaters, focal point fires, electric towel rails, electric showers, and to boost hot water. 

What about heating and hot water?

THTC was designed to work with storage heaters, and they should charge automatically during the off peak hours, along with the hot water. As long as any additional heating appliances are connected to the 24 hour circuit, they will be charged at the lower rate regardless of what time they are being used. This is not something we are able to check for a customer, they would need a private electrician to tell them what is wired where. 

To find out more about THTC and SHC please check out our helpful guide on the website.

Hey @Maureen D,

If you’re able to update this topic once you have the upgrade that would be really helpful for other customer arranging a meter exchange for THTC.

This is the information provided on our website:

We’ll soon be ending our support for some of our meters.

If you have a meter that’s affected, we’ll be in touch to arrange a meter and tariff upgrade to keep your heating and hot water working.

Or contact us now to arrange your upgrade.

This is just actually to replace my day time meter which is currently broken, so I am surprised they are fitting a smets2 rather than just repairing or replacing with a similar meter in the meantime until the whole THTC thing is resolved. I am presuming at that stage I will then need another meter to combine the two I currently have.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Maureen D,

There’s very little stock of traditional meters, which may be why a second generation smart meter is being installed. It’ll be interesting to hear first hand about your experience once the engineer has replaced the meter. These meter types are rare! So it would help other Community Members in the same position. 

Check out our new FAQ which shares a bit more detail about this topic:

Userlevel 2

Not sure they are that rare up here in Scotland.  There are still villages with no mains gas.  Personally, I love my storage heaters and the timing of them coming on and off suits me perfectly.  At least if we get a lengthy power cut as happened in the last big storm, my heaters stayed hot for ages.  I have no intention of replacing them, so I hope whatever method replaces the radio Teleswitch  works as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

They’re rare in that they only exist in very specific parts of the country - we’re talking under 500k active installs total.

OVO is working on a Smart Meter solution to replace them. However, please be advised that there’s no guarantee that tariffs like THTC will be supported forever.