Solved

Why is my gas smart meter making a throbbing humming noise?

• 20 January 2019
  • 8 replies

Hi,

we recently reported a noisy gas meter that was making a throb. OVO were fantastic and agreed that although not dangerous it would be very annoying and sent an engineer to fit a new one along with a new smart meter.

For a few days we had blissful silence.... but then yesterday the throbbing returned.

it is now even more regular (albeit not quite as noisy) and driving me insane!

we have had work done and it is now secured to a stud wall and I’m wondering if this is not helping?!

Please tell me this isn’t a normal sound on a meter and that something can be done.... I can’t tune out from the throb throb throbbing....... 😩

Thanks
icon

Best answer by oligun93 30 January 2019, 21:01

View original

8 replies

Updated on 15/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Some noise from your smart gas meter is considered normal, however if this is particularly loud or a beeping noise, we may need to check whether a meter replacement is required.

If your gas smart meter is making a beeping sound, it's likely that the battery is low and the meter will need replacing free of charge. Reach out to our Support team to arrange this.  

If the noise is a more mechanical or humming sound, this is usually deemed safe, however we need to see if it's coming from the meter itself or the regulator (this is a cone shaped object that sits on top of your gas meter). In order to check this, it'd be great if you could take a video of the meter and email it to the  Support team, they'll be able to investigate the issue and arrange for an engineers visit if needed.

Find out more about what can cause these noises on our full guide to meter faults here.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hi all,
We had our gas smart meter fitted on Thursday and all was fine until this afternoon when it suddenly started making a constant "ticking/clicking" sound. The best description I can give is if you turn a bike upside down and spin the back wheel.
A while ago it was also making a low frequency tone sound but that seems to have stopped.
The noise is constant whether gas is on or not and I can't see anything obvious when I look at the meter.
Really not sure how to procede so any advice would be really welcome.
Cheers
Please close. Culprit found 😳
Userlevel 4
@solidangel

Do tell.., what was it? Surely the installation engineer didn't leave his watch in your meter cupboard, did he?
Perhaps it was something innocent like a drip from an over flow/leaky guttering?
Thank you @oligun93

I have got back in touch with them to get some advice.... will see what they say!

kind of wish I’d had it moved outside when I had the chance now!

Hopefully i I can get it resolved

thanks for what responses.

Inteigued by yours @solidangel

My gas smart meter is making a loud ticking noise and nearer sounds like water rushing through.  What do I do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Mumillion ,

Sounds like there might be a possible fault there. I’d recommend contacting the Support Team for advice on this. They’ll probably ask you to send in a video of the gas meter making the noise so that it can be checked.

There’s some more details over here too.

I hope this helps

Thank you.  I'll email them with a recording.