Solved

Why does my Secure Liberty EG4v 10 gas smart meter say 'rejected' when I press A or B?

Hi

my indoors display doesn't show the consumption of gas for a few weeks now. 

the gas meter shows “Rejected” on the screen when I press any buttons.

Any idea what could be?

thanks

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 9 April 2021, 13:42

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome @marina65 :blush:

I can definitely try to help you out with this, but I’d need a few more details if that’s OK with you.

Do you know what Smart Meters and In-Home Display you have by any chance? Don’t worry if you’re unsure - if you’re happy to upload a few photos of your smart meters and IHD, I can usually work out what they are.

I’m now watching this thread, so I’ll be notified automatically of any replies.

no idea of IHD, Im trying to upload a pic.

thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 15/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVO

That definitely looks like a SMETS1 Secure Liberty EG4v 10 gas meter then. So your electricity meter is probably a SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100 Series meter. Given the install date of 2016, I get the feeling your IHD might be a Secure Pipit 500. Does the IHD look like the one in this thread?

As for the buttons on your gas meter, the A and B buttons won’t do anything useful if you’re with OVO on a Pay Monthly/Credit Tariff such as Better Energy, since the meters will be in Credit Mode. The A and B buttons on a Secure meter are only useful if the meter is in Prepayment Mode and you’re on Pay As You Go, such as with Boost.

Try pressing button 0 on your gas meter. This should go through a few screens such as the current date and time. If it shows a message such as COMISSION however, it might need to be re-activated by the Support Team.

Next, try button 6 which should tell you the current tariff info. The info on the display should match your current tariff, but if it doesn’t, please contact the Support Team and let them know.

The other one to try is button 9, which should show the current reading.

After doing those, please allow around 30 minutes to one hour for the gas meter to check-in with the electricity meter and your IHD should then update with the latest data. The gas meter only usually wakes up to check in every 30 minutes or so, but these steps should force something to show up on your IHD. You might also want to see if there’s any recent readings in MyOVO as well.

If you still don’t get any luck, it might be worth asking the Support Team to do a quick health check to see if they can figure out what’s happening. It’s possible that your meters are currently being upgraded to SMETS2 firmware and are in the middle of being migrated to the National Smart Meter Network, which might explain why the gas meter seems to have gone offline. If that’s the case, everything should come back up within a few weeks at most, once the upgrade is completed.

If you’re still stuck though, feel free to reply to this thread again and I’ll get back to you. I can’t replace the Support Team, but I can offer advice that may help. :)

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hi

thanks so much for this info

the IHD is like the first of your topics you attached.

I will do all you are advising and get back to you.

many thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries, glad I could help. :)

Having just checked some details on SmartMe, it definitely would make sense if your meters are currently being migrated. The planned schedule for Secure meters is between 1st November 2020 and July 2021. Individual sites can be upgraded and migrated at anytime during that window, so yours probably happen to be in the current run (the entire process takes roughly six to eight weeks for each site once it’s triggered).

It’s unlikely that the Home Area Network signal between your meters and IHD would randomly and permanently implode if it’s previously worked fine, so you can probably skip most of those checks.

With that said though… @Tim_OVO is there any way for OVO to check on the status or progress of a site that’s currently going through Enrolment and Adoption? If there is, that might provide some clues.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It’s actually Key 9 that gives the reading on this meter, press it and you first get the volume in Cubic metres followed by the Kilowat Hours

Thank you for this, but its nothing on the screen when I press 9,  it comes up 0.0000

I have credit into the meter but nothing is being consumed.

many thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks @marina65 .

Just to check quickly, are you on Pay Monthly or Pay As You Go?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Wait a second… Your reading is Zero? That doesn’t seem right! Sorry for the trouble there @marina65 . Some meters are a bit trickier to troubleshoot than others.

I suspect @PeterR1947 will probably agree that there might be a fault with your gas meter, especially if you know you’ve been using gas, but somehow your readings have been wiped out. This is definitely not good. You won’t get in trouble though, as long as it’s not the result of deliberate tampering (which is unlikely anyway).

I’d definitely recommend giving OVO’s Support Team a call as soon as possible, and let them know about this. If you let the agent know you’ve raised this on the forum and mention my name, they should be able to locate the thread.

It sounds to me as if you’ll probably need an Emergency Meter Exchange (or EMEX for short). There’s no charge for this as OVO would cover the cost.

Since you currently have SMETS1 smart meters, your electric and gas meters will be replaced with shiny new SMETS2 smart meters and you’d get a new Chameleon IHD6 to use with them instead of your current Pipit 500.

I definitely would recommend making the arrangements sooner rather than later, to make sure your bills remain accurate and to make sure you don’t get snarled up in red tape later on.

Userlevel 7

What’s the latest on this, @marina65? I’m keen to hear if you’re on a Boost Power prepayment tariff, which would explain this meter behaviour when pressing A or B… 

If it is, @Blastoise186’s detailed second reply would make a great ‘best answer’ to this thread…… although this would raise more questions about why your credit isn’t being deducted.

Spill the beans :)