Solved

Getting a gas smart meter installed- Is access needed to the electric meter/cellular hub?

• 18 December 2023
  • 6 replies

A relative has had a smart electricity meter installed at their property. They’re now looking to get the gas one changed too. They’re wondering if access to the electricity meter (likely the cellular hub) is needed when a smart gas meter is installed?

The electricity meter is inside, under the stairs, while the gas meter is about 3m away, mounted on an external wall outside. 

As the electricity meter is under the stairs, and they use that space for storage (nothing flammable or likely to catch fire if anything were to happen!), it is an absolute faff to empty that area.

If access is needed to scan the barcodes on the cellular hub, such as the CHF or GPF ID, will a picture of the meter suffice? There is a little viewing window in the wooden panelling so the meter can be seen and numbers verified, but impossible the barcode be read by a scanner at that distance. 

They’re not with OVO (I am, however) so thought I’d ask here. Their gas is with British Gas, and electric is with EDF (they’re not interested in switching - no matter how much convincing I’ve tried) 

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 18 December 2023, 15:22

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @strategic_goose , it might depend on the engineer at the time. The information needed is already logged against the property but some engineers prefer to double check by having access as you describe. 
If it were me, I’d make sure there was access, just in case

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @strategic_goose 

I assume the electricity consumer unit will be accessible so the engineer can turn off the electricity supply? Is this also blocked in?

I agree, best to make sure everything is accessible.

Although in many cases it works fine to have separate suppliers for gas and electricity for smart meters, there are customers who have struggled with IHD , but obviously your relative doesn't want to switch.

Userlevel 7

Hey @strategic_goose,

Good question- I’ll ask one of our smart meter experts and report back. 😊

Userlevel 7

Hey @strategic_goose,

Unfortunately it’s not a clear cut answer, but here’s advice from one of the experts:

It depends. So the dependency is on the signal to the gas meter from the location of the electricity meter where the Communication Hub is situated.

The fact you have different suppliers adds complexity but doesn't affect it all being possible. It also depends on the process the installer follows.. they WILL need the details of the ​​​Comms Hub Function in the Gas meter (it's a code on the Communication Hub needed to join to the Gas meter) to set up the Gas meter and get it joined but may not need to scan those locally.. some do, some don't... the key deciding factor is if the gas cannot connect and a Dual Band Communication Hub is needed.

That will require a process known as ‘Trust Centre Swap Out’ to replace the single band Communication Hub and replace it... so the Gas meter can connect and work... to 'punch' a signal through the wall... having both fuels with the same supplier is easier but not explicitly required as it's designed to work with separate suppliers.

Hey @strategic_goose,

Unfortunately it’s not a clear cut answer, but here’s advice from one of the experts:

It depends. So the dependency is on the signal to the gas meter from the location of the electricity meter where the Communication Hub is situated.

The fact you have different suppliers adds complexity but doesn't affect it all being possible. It also depends on the process the installer follows.. they WILL need the details of the ​​​Comms Hub Function in the Gas meter (it's a code on the Communication Hub needed to join to the Gas meter) to set up the Gas meter and get it joined but may not need to scan those locally.. some do, some don't... the key deciding factor is if the gas cannot connect and a Dual Band Communication Hub is needed.

That will require a process known as ‘Trust Centre Swap Out’ to replace the single band Communication Hub and replace it... so the Gas meter can connect and work... to 'punch' a signal through the wall... having both fuels with the same supplier is easier but not explicitly required as it's designed to work with separate suppliers.

Thank you (and thank you to those who have responded) - that’s super interesting about needing a comms hub switch to punch through the external wall. Looks like I’ll have another day of removing stuff out from under the stairs and banging my head.

Given that the meter (and hub) were installed a few days ago, could it be the case a dual band variant had already installed? Or are single band ones routinely being installed and dual band where needed? No matter if not, this is just purely for my curiosity. 

The comms hub is a Toshiba SKU1 with UKCA marking so it must have been manufactured after 1 Jan 2023. If I take their IHD outside to where the gas meter is, I get a reading of -69dBm, though I’m not sure if the gas meter would use the same transmit method/frequency as comms hub to IHD. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @strategic_goose,

I’d imagine a dual band comms hub would only be installed if the gas can’t connect. But the only way to check this for sure would be by speaking to the installer or smart metering team.

This topic has some information about Toshiba SKU1 Cellular Comms Hub: