Chameleon ivie Bud In Home Display (IHD) - an honest review

Chameleon ivie Bud In Home Display (IHD) - an honest review

Show first post

71 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Mine came via Yodel a few days after it was ordered. Yours probably went missing (typical Yodel!) so I’d recommend getting in touch with support.

Userlevel 2

OK thanks both. I will wait until mid next week and then drop Ivie an email as it will no doubt take a few days to get a response which will bring the timescale to two weeks by that point. 👍

Userlevel 4

Mine came via Yodel a few days after it was ordered. Yours probably went missing (typical Yodel!) so I’d recommend getting in touch with support.

Mine was delivered 5 minutes ago. Arrived at the depot on Tuesday night on a 48hr service so is maybe a day late I guess. Gotta bear in mind these delivery firms are snowed under at the minute, more so since Royal Mail strikes mean the other firms are having to pick up the slack.

The biggest issue for me was no dispatch email with tracking number from Ivie. Had to moan at them by email and Twitter to get that.

Userlevel 2

I’m regretting going with Ivie tbh...

Their app is poor and very slow to update, communication is poor, delivery is slow and I regret not going with Bright for their IHD. The Ivie app doesn’t populate yesterdays data until after 2pm the following day! With Loop, Hugo and Bright it’s there at the start of the following day and the Bright app shows the last 30 mins and hourly data the very same day. It has taken a week of emails with support and only today have they raised a ticket with no timeframe on any further update. I’m so tempted to just return it unopened at this point for a refund.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’m regretting going with Ivie tbh...

Their app is poor and very slow to update, communication is poor, delivery is slow and I regret not going with Bright for their IHD. The Ivie app doesn’t populate yesterdays data until after 2pm the following day! With Loop, Hugo and Bright it’s there at the start of the following day and the Bright app shows the last 30 mins and hourly data the very same day. I has taken a week of back on for with support and only today have they raised a ticket with no timeframe on any further update. 

They are a bit slow @WelshPaul but do eventually respond. You’re right about the delay in data updates but if you get the bud working right, you have that days data as it happens and an echo of your bud display in the app. 
I still use Loop, Hugo and Bright depending on what I want and when!

Userlevel 2

if you get the bud working right, you have that days data as it happens and an echo of your bud display in the app. 

Ok, that is reassuring at least. 👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

if you get the bud working right, you have that days data as it happens and an echo of your bud display in the app. 

Ok, that is reassuring at least. 👍

It’s just worth mentioning that it took me a while to get mine up and running. It connected, knocked out the other feeds for a couple of days (including to OVO), disconnected and had to get them to reset it (you shouldn’t do it yourself).

Now it’s up and running properly it’s good for instant and daily use although the rest of the data is still slow for previous days. It also hasn’t populated anything pre order date .. they say they can’t as they didn’t have my consent .. strange as all the others have a full year and I only signed up to them at the same time. 

Userlevel 4

@BPLightlog Took me maybe 10 minutes to get mine up and running. No historical data has made it into the app yet, so we'll see how long that takes. Does seem odd the "didn't have your consent to previous data" thing. Loop has 495 days of data in the app and I only signed up for it 2 months ago.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It may take up to a week or so to pull in all available historical data. Depends on a bazillion different factors but if it can be retrieved, you will see it eventually.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It may take up to a week or so to pull in all available historical data. Depends on a bazillion different factors but if it can be retrieved, you will see it eventually.

That’s not what they told me @Blastoise186   I got an email saying they didn’t have my permission 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Weird. They’re supposed to get that consent during sign up…?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Weird. They’re supposed to get that consent during sign up…?

I know. I’ve told them that they’re out of step with everybody else but they said “As we did not have your consent to collect your data before, we can only collect and display data from the day you linked your smart meter to the ivie app and gave us permission to do so onwards. We cannot retrieve your historical data for now, but we’re hoping we’ll manage to add this option in the future.” 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 2

While I can’t comment on the Ivie Bud (hasn’t arrived), I have had the following reply from Ivie with regards to my support request:

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your patience.

The tech team has got back to me and made a few comments, I hope they help;

1. “Smart Meter Linked - Waiting for Data” Banner

1. This will display for all users who have linked their smart meters within the past seven days, so the banner will disappear for this user by end of tomorrow!

2. I’ve also added a card to our backlog to upgrade this to disappear once we’ve got data for all the users' smart meters.

2. Data coming into the app at around 1-2pm

1. This is due to us only getting access to the data around this time from your smart meter(s), and thus, passing it on to us! I don’t think there’s really anything we can do about this unfortunately.

3. Historic Data

1. This is currently being looked into for future development! Backlogging is not possible right now.

Many Thanks,

No idea why Ivie are unable to obtain and display yesterdays data within a reasonable timeframe the following day when all the others do just that. Same for point 3!

Anyway, is the Ivie Bud reliant on the Ivie app? I will use the Ivie Bud be used as a standalone device and I will stick with the Hugo & Bright apps as the Ivie one is simply awful IMO. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can use the ivie Bud without the app. The ivie App relies on the ivie Bud but the ivie Bud does not rely on the ivie App.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just had another email from ivie (are they watching the forum?) They say ..

“According to our developers, this is something we are currently working on as part of our roadmap to backfill data in order to see more historical data (up to 13 months) in the ivie app.” 

It sounds to me like their current system is still in its infancy and they are compiling some updates behind the scenes

Userlevel 2

So my Ivie Bud arrived today and I'm not off to a good start! It will not connect to my WiFi network, tried scan, WPS and WPS Button and it just sits on connecting forever more and a day with only an option to cancel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I think mine began like that. I’m fairly sure it needs a 2.4MHz feed (not 5MHz) so I ended up selecting the network and putting in the password.

Userlevel 2

OK so it won't connect to the WIFI access point if the password contains a % character - It won’t even work with WPS unless you remove the % character from the password. It will scan, it will detect the network and allow you to enter a password but it gets stuck on ‘Connecting’ and remains on that screen. So, I have to change my WiFi password and then change the WiFi settings on the best part of 30 devices just to get this thing to use my WiFi network. It's one thing after another with Ivie! 😡

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s because WPS basically hands over the existing password to just about any client that asks for it (which is why WPS is so insecure!) so that the client can then connect using the same password you’d normally punch in yourself.

It’s probably a firmware bug that might be worth reporting.

Userlevel 2

I managed to get it to connect by changing the passwords % character to a ! and then selecting WPS. I then changed the ! back to %, Ivie Bud changed to Connecting, so I cancelled and selected WPS again and this time it connected, allowing me to finally connect to WiFi, without the need to change my password but what a palaver!

It’s working now but it feels cheap, lacks battery backup and the light bleed through on the rear plastic and around the front facia is shocking. It will have to do but I should have paid a few extra quid and purchased a Glow from Hildebrand.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Tagging a few forum members who have Home Assistant, @dantmobi, to see if they can advise:

@creatish @stefmari @ArundaleP @SianiAnni @knight do you use a CAD In Home Display with HA and perhaps the Ivie Bud? 

I can only see Total Energy Used. Fail.

Is there any way I can have separate electricity and gas feeds into Smart Things so I can have separate feeds into Home Assistant. I don’t understand why it all has to be lumped together???

A little late. I don’t use anything like this. I use Node-RED with output to InfluxDB for current and historic data. That data is shown in web dashboards using Grafana.

I do have a small M5 Basic which is an ESP32 with a 2” screen but I only display temperature and humidity from around the house on that at present. I use ESPHome on all my ESP devices but I don’t use Home Assistant. Rather, I simply use MQTT and process the data with Node-RED.