Solved

Can I get a SMETS2 smart meter installation when I sign up to OVO?

• 24 August 2018
  • 78 replies

What's the current status with OVO?

Obviously I basically want to know:
- If I sign up now do I get offered a free smart meter installation
- If so, will it be SMETS2?
- If not, is there a scheduled date for when this is likely to be available?

Many thanks,
Rich

icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 28 August 2018, 13:25

View original

78 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 06/03/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

OVO are now fitting Aclara second generation SMETS2 (S2) smart meters for all smart meter installations. You can find out more about these meters on our S2 smart meter guide here and more about the installation process here. As with all suppliers there’s never a charge for upgrading to a smart meter.

If you decide to switch to OVO, you’ll be able to book a Smart meter installation online once you’ve received your opening statement. You’ll just need your Account number (which you can find on your online account or OVO app - Download for Android or iOS).

If you have a traditional pay monthly meter but aren’t yet an OVO member, check out our Better Smart plan (which might offer cheaper rates if you’re happy to get a smart meter installed when you join us) and sign up online here. 

Want to learn more about the benefits of going smart? Check out the guide below:

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Thanks Nancy,
Am I understanding this right - that OVO don't accept people wanting to pay by bill or direct debit - if they're not already doing that?
So, this means, realistically I'd have to sign up for smart meters with British Gas (or another supplier) first, and only then could I switch to Ovo!?
Just seems a bit odd and means they're turning down potential customers if so!
Rich
Userlevel 5
Hi @Rich-M,

Unfortunately if you're using a traditional prepayment meter, and signed up to OVO, it wouldn't be possible to set you up on our billing system. To be billed monthly, you need a 'credit' meter - one that runs continuously. This is a different type of meter to a prepayment one, which will cut off a supply if not topped up. As OVO only supply pay monthly properties, we don't have the means to keep a prepayment meter running.

A larger supplier who deal with both types of meters may agree to exchange them for you. This isn't something we can do currently.

Thanks
Thanks Nancy.
I think I'm understanding you (sort of!). Don't really undertstand all this meter stuff fully as you can tell!
I was assuming I could shop around any energy supplier, and ask to sign up as a credit customer, to be billed monthly, and they would get rid of the old prepayment meters and install smart meters.
If I'm understanding you right this don't seem to be an option and I'll have to get British Gas to do the upgrading of the meters before switching to other suppliers.
Is that right or have I got the wrong end of the stick again? :8
Userlevel 5
Hi @Rich-M - to put it simply, if you've got traditional meters you can't change your payment type upon changing supplier. If you've got top up meters and you're switching, you'll need to sign up as a top up customer. This is down to the way the physical meter works, which will need to be changed if you'd like to pay differently. The new supplier may then be able to exchange your meters to credit ones so you can pay monthly. Your existing suppleir may also offer to do this.

If you've got smart meters, some interoperability is possible, but this depends on the supplier and the meter model.

As a relatively small, Pay Monthly only company, we couldn't take on a customer with traditional (non-smart) top up meters.

Hope this helps
Thanks Nancy. Think I'm clear now! Finally I hear you say 😉
Userlevel 5
Glad to hear it, @Rich-M! 😃

This page here says you started rolling out Smets2 from September are you only installing Smets2 now or is there a luck of the draw.

Userlevel 7
This page here says you started rolling out Smets2 from September are you only installing Smets2 now or is there a luck of the drawer

@ooogemaflop limited roll out of SMETS2 meters at the moment. When you book in your smart meter appointment, it will say which type you're getting: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit.
Hi,

The questions on this seem to be a year old so I wanted an update on this. I have a smart meter installation booked with you for 30th November 2018, will it be SMETS2?

The two different pages on this on the main Ovo website seem to give conflicting information!
Userlevel 5
Hi @briss, welcome to the forum.
The last update we had on this was by @Tim_OVO 8 days ago.

Basically, it is a limited roll out of SMETS2 meters at the moment. When you book in your smart meter appointment, it will say which type you're getting.
Thanks for your prompt response. I have already booked the appointment, where is it supposed to say which type of meter it will be?
Userlevel 5

Supposedly on this page.
But I can't access it, as I already have a meter installed.
If that doesn't work maybe @Tim_OVO can help?

That page just prompts me to start making a new booking, even if I'm logged in.
Userlevel 7

Supposedly on this page: https://smart.ovoenergy.com/credit
But I can't access it, as I already have a meter installed.
If that doesn't work maybe @Tim_OVO can help?

That page just prompts me to start making a new booking, even if I'm logged in.

Yes it will show which SMETS type when the appointment is being booked. If you missed it and want it confirmed, pop us a message on Facebook, Twitter or our Help Centre has online chat. 

potential new customer

considering transferring OVO

are you installing SMETS2 in my area? LS28.
Userlevel 5
Moved your topics over here @smithy1311 - check out the 'best answer' for more info.
Hi,

If I was to book a smart meter install today would it be a SMETS2 meter?

Kind Regards,

Jonathan
If I book a smart meter installation today will it be a SMETS1 or SMETS2? Post code SN8
Userlevel 2
Moved your question to this page @jonlin & @Greytech

We're rolling out SMETS2 meters in some areas. To see if they’re available in your area and you're eligble to have one, you can check here: smart.ovoenergy.com/credit. If they're available, it will shows SMETS2 on the booking page.

Just to bear in mind, If we can only offer you a SMETS1 meter currently, our plan is to remotely upgrade all our SMETS1 meters next year. This means they'll all function in exactly the same way as our SMETS2 meters!
What does the upgrade process look like? And once upgraded can you still use it if you move suppliers?
Userlevel 5
It's not been fully mapped out yet, @jonlin. More info on this as and when it comes!

The idea behind the SMETS2 meter platform is that all suppliers will be able to communicate with this type of meter, so they'll definitely still work with other suppliers.
Nancy, I think you missed the point. Will the upgrade make the SMETS1 into an industry wide compatible SMETS2 so that switching suppliers will not leave us with a dumb meter.
I'm not willing to book an installation unless I know it will be a SMETS2 or guarantee that an upgrade within 6 months will make it fully SMETS2 compatible. I would like to see the type before I complete the booking.
Userlevel 5

Just to bear in mind, If we can only offer you a SMETS1 meter currently, our plan is to remotely upgrade all our SMETS1 meters next year. This means they'll all function in exactly the same way as our SMETS2 meters!

Hi @Greytech - as Beth mentioned above, once upgraded, SMETS1 meters will function in the same way as SMETS2 meters, which will include universal communicability with all suppliers. So yes, you can switch suppliers and retain smart functionality no matter who you go to. You won't be left with 'dumb' functionality.