News

Power Move - spring challenge

Power Move - spring challenge
Userlevel 7

Find out more and sign up today

The Power Move spring challenge is now open - and you can sign up today. The challenge is to use 14.00% or less of your home’s total electricity between 6pm and 9pm, Monday to Friday. Your reward? Up to £10 per month energy bill credit.

Why we’ve adjusted the peak times from 4-7pm to 6-9pm.

Peak times change throughout the year. During winter they’re between 4-7pm. In the summer months, we use energy slightly later - meaning the peak times are typically later.

Remember - If you’ve already joined a challenge we’ll now automatically add you to the next challenge and any future challenges. So you don’t need to remember to join any future challenges to enjoy the benefits of Power Move.

Join the Power Move challenge today

What are your top tips for reaching the Power Move target for people who are new to Power Move?

53 replies

Userlevel 2

Does that mean less than 14% of your weekly energy or 14% of your Monday to Friday energy?

Userlevel 3

@DuncanL your Monday to Friday energy. 

I did want to type Monday to Friday snakes on a plane there for those in the know.

Userlevel 2
Badge

So, does it start on 1st April? 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Just for fun, I applied the new Spring parameters to my ‘target chase’* spreadsheet to see how I would have fared if they’d been in force this month. It’s close, but with the lighter evenings (less lighting, coming indoors later), I should still be on track with no particular adjustments to my behaviour. 

*   White-ball cricket enthusiasts will recognize the ‘worm’ format 🙂

Userlevel 2

@Tim_OVO said:

“Remember - If you’ve already joined a challenge we’ll now automatically add you to the next challenge and any future challenges….”

That's usually the case but it wasn't this time. When I checked, I had to agree to the terms and then sign up.

Userlevel 3

So the standing charge goes up more than 8p a day and just to help the reward goes down to £10. All in all I will make absolutely no savings overalll

Userlevel 7

@Tim_OVO said:

“Remember - If you’ve already joined a challenge we’ll now automatically add you to the next challenge and any future challenges….”

That's usually the case but it wasn't this time. When I checked, I had to agree to the terms and then sign up.

So, does it start on 1st April? 

I’ve taken these questions directly to the team and will report back 😊

Userlevel 7

Checked with the team and auto-enrollment is currently happening, this may take a day or two - but you can sign up now if you’d like also 😊

Userlevel 2

So the standing charge goes up more than 8p a day and just to help the reward goes down to £10. All in all I will make absolutely no savings overalll

But we use way less leccy in the spring and summer. I do anyway and I wouldn't be an exception. So £10 discount on much less used energy? We should still make good during these months even if standing charges rise. I only use 1.5kwh per day at the most and still meet the full % discount. So anyone who thinks it's hard to do or it's a con if they're a low user must be missing it somewhere.

Userlevel 7

You have some really great contributions when it comes to Power Move @Kall! Great to see 😊 Will be nice to hear how you get on with the spring challenge.

Userlevel 2

You have some really great contributions when it comes to Power Move @Kall! Great to see 😊 Will be nice to hear how you get on with the spring challenge.

Ah that's very sweet of you thanks. I'll do the spring challenge well I think. I'll probably go out for a run or do some photography. Otherwise I'll just write on my MacBook and read.

Userlevel 4

Hi @Kall,  

I love this idea! Do you have any specific challenges when you run or do photography? I think that would be a really cool thing to tie into the challenge. You could set yourself a personal target and by working on one goal it will help meet another. 

We are looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Userlevel 3

But we use way less leccy in the spring and summer. I do anyway and I wouldn't be an exception. So £10 discount on much less used energy? We should still make good during these months even if standing charges rise. I only use 1.5kwh per day at the most and still meet the full % discount. So anyone who thinks it's hard to do or it's a con if they're a low user must be missing it somewhere.

My point is the hike in standing charge and the reduction from £15 to £10 will will mean the reduction in unit price will have no affect on my payments. I have got my consumption down to between 1.5 to 2kwh or approximately an average of 50p a day plus standing charge so the £15  really helped.

Userlevel 2

My point is the hike in standing charge and the reduction from £15 to £10 will will mean the reduction in unit price will have no affect on my payments. I have got my consumption down to between 1.5 to 2kwh or approximately an average of 50p a day plus standing charge so the £15  really helped.

I honestly feel for you. I'm single, live by myself and reckon I have a lot less outgoings. I remember once upon a time there was a tariff for low users called Solo but ofgem made them stop it. There are discussions by ofgem on reducing, possibly even removing standing charges for low users but the tariff is likely going to come at the cost of raising the kWh unit charge. I see something wrong with that considering a low user only uses between 1 and 2 kWh per day.

Userlevel 2

Hi @Kall,  

I love this idea! Do you have any specific challenges when you run or do photography? I think that would be a really cool thing to tie into the challenge. You could set yourself a personal target and by working on one goal it will help meet another. 

We are looking forward to hearing about your progress!

Just getting out there to run is a challenge in itself, ha! 😃 Your suggestion, however, got the wheels of my mind turning. Rather than just going out: “How can one tie in e.g photography, with Power Move?” Perhaps set a goal of spending at least an hour out there; capture the sunset; look up an event to cover; walking at least a mile in either direction, taking a photo at the furthest point...” It would be nice and only really work if at least a few joined in and posted their best one here. It wouldn't have to be every day. It wouldn't even have to be a walk. Forum users could post something they did during the peak period. But all this might be outside the remit or capability of the power move forum. Idk. They do it on the BBC website. But your question is good and food for thought.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @solarrolar, yes Spring Power Move does indeed start on April 1st, to run until 30th June. HOWEVER, watch out for those three Monday bank holidays on April 1st, and 6th and 27th May. Bank holiday usage is not included in Power Move calculations. 

Userlevel 4

Hi @Kall,

This is an excellent idea! As long as topics remain centred around green energy and greener living. As an avid photographer myself I always love learning different methods of taking shots. Definitely think of some goals you could work towards and keep us updated with your progress. I will definitely be keep my eye on this 🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge

… Spring Power Move does indeed start on April 1st, …

… which just happens to be the first full day of British Summer Time, so natural phenomena - like sunset - will be happening a clock hour later (7.30PM instead of 6.30).

The clock change means that those collecting DCC data will probably only get 46 half-hours’-worth of figures for 31 March. The following 211 days will run from 23:00 to 22:59 local time, calling for a bit of head-scratching on the part of spreadsheet jockeys.

OVO may perform some antics to get the Usage bar charts to fit; they might even get it right this time 🙂 

Badge

I’ve just signed up for Charge Anytime.  Do you know if that will take into account the Power Move timings? i.e. if I plug my car in at 6pm, it definitely won’t start charging until 9 even if it’s a ‘green’ day.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @justmusic, there will be EV drivers on here who can give you a definitive answer…but even if it doesn’t automatically avoid charging during peak hours, could you just block out the peak hours in your charging schedule?

Badge

could you just block out the peak hours in your charging schedule?

Yes that’s an option.  Just kind of makes sense for Ovo to join the dots between their products/offers.  I’m new to EVs (3 weeks in) so not sure if the app or car will get confused if it calls for charge but the charger says no because it’s within a blocked out period.

Userlevel 6

OVO may perform some antics to get the Usage bar charts to fit; they might even get it right this time 🙂 

It will be interesting to see how the online usage charts and half hour figures cope with the change.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @justmusic, I agree with, joining the dots would be a good thing…I hope someone gets back to you on this, because I’ve seen this very subject raised before in this forum.

Three weeks, hope it’s going brilliantly for you…you’ve beaten us by maybe a year or so, can’t wait! 

All the best…

Userlevel 7

… Spring Power Move does indeed start on April 1st, …

… which just happens to be the first full day of British Summer Time, so natural phenomena - like sunset - will be happening a clock hour later (7.30PM instead of 6.30).

The clock change means that those collecting DCC data will probably only get 46 half-hours’-worth of figures for 31 March. The following 211 days will run from 23:00 to 22:59 local time, calling for a bit of head-scratching on the part of spreadsheet jockeys.

I remember this being a talking point on the Forum last summer, will keep an eye on your feedback and raise it internally if necessary! 

could you just block out the peak hours in your charging schedule?

Yes that’s an option.  Just kind of makes sense for Ovo to join the dots between their products/offers.  I’m new to EVs (3 weeks in) so not sure if the app or car will get confused if it calls for charge but the charger says no because it’s within a blocked out period.

Brilliant to hear about your new EV! I’ve added a badge on your profile so that other green tech enthusiasts can recognise you 😊 It might be worth making a separate ‘post’ in the ‘smart home’ area of the Forum, we have lots of Community Members who’re able to offer advice and tips. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

I remember this being a talking point on the Forum last summer, will keep an eye on your feedback and raise it internally if necessary! 

Thanks! Luckily, it’s neither here nor there as far as the March PM challenge is concerned, because none of the eligible days is in BST. However, the transposition of the last hour’s data each day was a problem for some users (here and here) and I’m eagerly awaiting next week to see whether it’s been fixed.