News

Power Move Autumn Challenge

• 29 September 2023
  • 95 replies
Power Move Autumn Challenge
Userlevel 6

The autumn challenge is now open - sign up today

The Power Move autumn challenge is now open, and you can sign up today.

With Power Move we challenge you to use 13.50% or less of your electricity during peak hours, by moving your non-essential electricity to a different time of day. Your reward? Up to £15 per month energy bill credit.

We’re changing how we run Power Move - If you’ve already joined a challenge we’ll now automatically add you to the next challenge and any future challenges. So you don’t need to remember to join any future challenges to enjoy the benefits of Power Move.

If you took part in the Power Move summer challenge, we’d love to hear about your experience. Please complete this short survey, you’ll be helping us improve for future challenges.

95 replies

Userlevel 4

Great news Abby! Already signed up, but great that it will be automatic from now on. I'm loving the fact that it is making me more conscious of my usage even as a light user and when i use it, and also the reward gives me that motivation. 

I cant complete the survey due to it being an unsecure site, is there another way?

Userlevel 4

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not an OVO issue - Google Workspace issues are out-of-scope.

Qualys SSL Labs also reports no issues. https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=forms.gle&s=199.36.158.100&hideResults=on&latest

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Many thanks @Abby_OVO, looking forward to the Autumn Power Move challenge.

Like @Ria my browser won’t allow me to see your survey, but I’ve got only positive things to say about my (short, I only joined on the 7th Sep. when I happened to see it mentioned in my OVO account) experience of the Summer challenge.  Good news about, in the future, being automatically joined to challenges.

cheers…

Userlevel 1
Badge

I received the email about the autumn challenge, but when I click the link and log in to my account, the webpage says:

Power Move

Oops, there’s a problem…

This page is not accessible at the moment.

Best,

Jason

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @JMB 

Frustrating for you, that is.

Have you tried not clicking the link at all: instead, go into your account (via a browser, not the OVO app).  On your home page you’ll see a “Discover Path to Zero” legend. Click on that and scroll down to the Autumn Power Move which is a large green square, and click “join”.  

That should do it for you…let us know how you go (starts tomorrow, so you’re just in nice time!).

all the best….

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have you tried not clicking the link at all: instead, go into your account (via a browser, not the OVO app).  On your home page you’ll see a “Discover Path to Zero” legend. Click on that and scroll down to the Autumn Power Move which is a large green square, and click “join”.  

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried that, but I have no “Discover Path to Zero” or any mention of Power Move anywhere in my account!

Jason

I have the same issue. It's not on my home page either. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@JMB and @MM94 That’s weird, isn’t it…the challenge is weekdays only and today being a Sunday gives you (I guess?) a bit of wiggle room to try and find a solution.

Apologies, but short of hunting down a Power Move Autumn button in your account I’m not sure what else you can do: maybe try going into your account via your browser, but also via the a downloaded OVO app? Even hunting about for it via a Google search? Or see if you can chat with an OVO person online?

Best of luck with it anyway, it’s a frustrating business when the links don’t work…

Userlevel 2

I have just joined the forum, having signed up for Power Move. For my own clarity can confirm the challenge only applies Monday to Friday between 4 and 7 PM.

I have read various articles stating 12.5% drop to 15% drop.

Is there anyway to easily view if I am achieving the target?

Userlevel 7

@JMB and@MM94

For those not seeing the button, try using Edge browser in Windows, or use an Android phone or tablet.

(It appears to be a problem with some browsers not showing it on a Windows computer).

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @john23 

For the Autumn Power Move (Oct, Nov, Dec) the target is to ensure your usage within the critical 3-hour segment 1600-1900 hrs of every weekday is less than 13.5% of weekday usage (the Summer Power Move Jul-Sep had slightly less leeway, at 12.5%). The critical three-hour segment totals and also the totals for each of the weekdays are added up at the end of the month and the percentage is derived from those aggregated totals.  Any Bank Holidays in the month don’t count.

As for easily monitoring it as you go through the month (which makes sense), as far as I know there’s no ready-made OVO progress graphic or anything. But people on here have made excellent suggestions about noting the relevant figures each day in your calendar, or even on a sheet of paper or entering the values in a spreadsheet.  For the mathematically agile and computer savvy there is also now available, *I believe*, a CSV data file of meter readings available daily from the OVO website. 

Mention has also been made of the difference between calculating usage to three places of decimals or to two.

And I can only see my OVO half-hourly readings in my account after a lag of a day or so, which is fine for me, but maybe that CSV data stream would provide quicker access?

Good luck, all the best…

Userlevel 2

Hi Waltyboy thanks for the reply

I spent a fair bit of time going through the various menu option in my account. I discovered a change. Perhaps since I signed up for Power Move There an option USAGE clicked that 

scroll down to select Electricity and in half hour block shows the Kw/H consumed for the block.

I’ll try and track down the CSV file.

Thanks for the info. It would add clarity if OVO provided a worked example of how the 13.5% reduction is being achieved. Of the top of me head I would suppose total the Kw/H consumed over 24 hours. Total the Kw/H consumed from 4pm to 7pm and calculate as a percentage of the the 24 hour total

Not clear if you fail on say one day what net affect does that have? On the refund.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@JMB and@MM94

For those not seeing the button, try using Edge browser in Windows, or use an Android phone or tablet.

(It appears to be a problem with some browsers not showing it on a Windows computer).

Ah ha! I was using Safari on macOS. I tried with Chrome and the button was there! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @john23 Yes, you’re absolutely right, those half-hourly blocks in Usage are the way to go. If you make a note of them as you go through the month on a calendar, if not every day then every couple of days, it’ll be a lot less adding up for you come the last weekday in the month!

Don’t worry about failures to hit the target in any particular day or set of days: it’s the percentage of the aggregated totals at the end of the month that matter; as far as I know (I only joined the Summer Power Move on 7th September myself, so am pretty new at all this too!) there is no penalty accruing to “missed” days.  I do find it a bit confusing that the financial incentive is described as “up to” an amount. But I’m assuming that to cover pro rata final amounts for folk like me who join part-way through a month!

best of luck, there are some excellent posts on the forum about not attempting to cut background usage (like ‘fridges and freezers, heating controls and pumps, necessary lighting, etc. as, apart from making for miserable evenings, cutting that type of stuff doesn’t really help achieve the target) but rather concentrating on moving any big stuff out of the key segment into neighbouring segments (or into the weekend). Conversely, to keep your critical segment usage down as a percentage, you could also try moving the odd weekend washload or baking session into weekday slots (not the key slot, obvs!).

all the best, let us know how you go next week…

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Brilliant @Nukecad, never thought about the particular browser platform…I’ve been OK on Apple’s iOS on my iPad, as I haven’t used my Windows laptop for a while now.  

Luck of the draw!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Just so you know, I’ve done more testing.

@Ria your issue is likely caused by an outdated version of Samsung Internet and/or outdated Android version. Please head into the Galaxy Store/Google Play Store and update your apps as well as going to device settings > Software Update > Check for Updates > Follow the instructions.

I have tested using both Oshawott and Dewott and cannot reproduce that issue on the latest versions of Samsung Internet, Chrome and Android 13 w/ Samsung One UI 5.1. For security reasons, I don’t reveal exactly what my devices are but these codenames are known to the forum moderators.

As for everyone else, I used Exploud to recreate the conditions that both Safari and Firefox create with enhanced anti-tracking - that is the root cause here. It’s not OVO, it’s your browser settings that’s causing it.

Userlevel 4

@Blastoise186 

My samsung internet is up to date. Could be my antivirus maybe causing it? Im not that techie, but i do keep my apps and my phone up to date.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The Anti-Virus on your phone shouldn’t, because of how they work on Android. However, I use Bitdefender Total Security across all of my devices and even with that on I have never had this issue.

Userlevel 4

When im next on pc i will try on there. Dont go on it as frequently nowadays.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. I’ve decided to join myself as well actually, so I’m along for the ride too! :)

When Power Move was trialled last year, I didn’t get to take part but I did get to watch the forum activity so I know what to expect.

The biggest challenge for me is whether I can get my usage low enough because I’m already a pretty low user myself.

Userlevel 4

Im a really low user as well so thought i was going to find it really hard. My main change was cooking dinner at lunchtime or after 7pm.

I used my aug figures to see how far out i was before i signed up, because i had only stumbled across it by accident, and was within 1% over the limit so knew i just needed to be more conscious more than anything drastic. Ive actually ended up below 11% so happy days! Good luck!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice. It’s a bit easier for me in theory. I travel a lot during the week and have an active lifestyle so I don’t tend to run power hungry stuff much during peak times. Helps a lot when I’m learning to scuba dive and volunteer with a thousand different places! :D

Hi, I have received same email power move, tryed to join, BUT, " OOP's there is a problem", problem was in September, problem still in October. Went to home page, logged in, but there is no option Power move. Does someone believe that OVO IT department doesn't know, that this page doesn't work? Well, and never worked...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@blue sky to report this I need to know what device/browser combo you’re using.