Solved

Indra LUX EV Charger compatible with Ovo Charge Anytime?

Badge

Hello,

Indra recently released a new smart charger. Indra LUX. I believe this is the upgraded version of the Indra Pro. 

Is OVO supporting this charger with the Charge Anytime EV tarif?

thank you

icon

Best answer by Berryman21 18 October 2023, 11:57

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7

Updated on 31/07/23 by Abby_OVO

The Indra Smart Lux is now available under Charge Anytime. You can view all compatible chargers and EVs here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers

Good question, @KlausM.

I’ve asked the team and as of yet the Indra LUX smart charger is not compatible with Charge Anytime. We won’t be able to suggest when or even if it that will change.

For anyone looking for Indra and Charge Anytime, we advise you purchase the Indra Smart Pro.

Badge

thank you for the swift reply @Tim_OVO 

It is a bit disappointing to hear that OVO has not been proactive to stay on the forefront of developments with their partner Indra to make sure the latest products are compatible, leaving customers with the only option to buy an old charging device 

Userlevel 7

From what I hear, @KlausM we’re working flat out to unlock eligibility with smart charger and EV manufactures.

What EV do you have? We do have Charge Anytime with direct-to-vehicle  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers

Smart Lux has now disappeared from Charge Anytime, following Jeffus’ link above. That’s disappointing because that’s what we’re looking to buy. We don’t really want to spend £950 on a charger we don’t really want just because OVO can’t make its mind up. Does it work with Charge Anytime or not?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Updated on 01/11/23 by Tim_OVO: As of the 1st November 2023, Charge Anytime now offers  7p per kWh for smart charging. It can be added to any OVO plan, including electric-only households

Who can get Charge Anytime

There are now two ways you can get Charge Anytime:

You must have an eligible EV or Smart Charger, we’re constantly looking into ways to broaden eligibility of this product so if your technology isn’t currently on this list keep an eye on our page for updates! 

Like JondaE, I have been interested in installing the latest EV charger from Indra and have been puzzled as to why it has been removed from OVO’s list of approved Charge Anytime EV chargers.   

I tried asking the OVO web chat service and was told that answers to Charge Anytime questions could only be given to a telephone enquiry.   

Three calls to OVO later, none of which connected after hanging on for lengthy periods, I gave up and asked Indra directly.   I received their reply this morning:

Good Morning, 

At this time, if you are using OVO Charge Anytime, we recommend accessing its features through our web-based app rather than our new Indra Mobile App. This will allow you to continue using and managing your OVO Charge Anytime service without disruption.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused while we work on the integration with our new native app. Rest assured, we are working diligently to integrate this tariff and provide a seamless experience for all our customers.

As soon as the new App is fully integrated for Charge Anytime users we will update our customers so they can access the new native app. 

Kind Regards, 

Dani

So, now we know that there is a connectivity issue with the new Indra Mobile App.  There is also an issue with not being able to lock Indra chargers if you are using OVO Charge Anytime so I guess that it’s best to wait until the Indra App developers can solve these IT issues.  Hopefully, we won’t have too long to wait. 

Userlevel 7

Thanks for the update @Berryman21!

Does this advice help you @JondaE ?

Yes, thanks @Berryman21. Hi @Emmanuelle_OVO - thanks for pointing this post out to me.

It was useful information, yes, but Indra’s email to Berryman21 doesn’t address the lock issue. I’ve emailed Indra myself to ask about whether the lock function works with Charge Anytime if we use the web app instead of the mobile app.

My current (no pun intended) thought process is that if all the functionality works via a web app, that’s absolutely fine by me, since that would indicate the broken lock functionality is just a mobile app problem. Web apps work just as well as mobile apps these days, so I’m happy to use that instead.

If the lock function doesn’t work via the web app either, then the incompatibility is something more fundamental and I wouldn’t be happy buying this charger until that’s fixed.

When I get a reply from Indra I’ll post it here.

Thanks,

Jon

Userlevel 2
Badge

Apologies for my ignorance, but what is the ‘lock functionality you mention’?  I’ve never used or seen the full Indra App, only ever the web app. 

I have an Indra Smart Pro (non-tethered cable version) connected to Charge Anytime. When I plug in to charge, the Indra locks the charge cable into its socket, and the car (a Cupra Born) locks its end of the cable into  its charging socket. 

At the end of the charging the cable remains locked into place until I triple-press the unlock button on my car’s key fob to release it.

Is there another locking mechanism I’m lacking?

Hi @MikeyB 

I wondered the same thing myself originally. Indra’s “Charger FAQs” seems to cover it under “Locking your charger”:

“If you want to protect your charger from people using it without your permission, you can ‘lock’ it using the Indra App. When the charger is locked, it cannot be used, even in boost mode, until it’s been unlocked again. Simply go into the settings section of this app and toggle the ‘lock charger’ switch.

If your charging cable is locked in your vehicle’s charging socket, you will need to disconnect the cable using your vehicle app or in-vehicle controls.”

To be honest, I thought the whole point of the system was to be in control of when the charger would deliver electricity to the attached car. I presume the lock feature allows you to ensure it won’t deliver a charge if you’ve gone away for a few days or something and left a regular  overnight charge scheduled. I don’t know for certain though.

Userlevel 1
Badge

After JondaE’s response, I also e-mailed Indra querying whether the lock function on their Lux EV charger worked using the web app, and this is the reply that I received:

Good morning Richard,

Unfortunately not. The lock feature does not work when an OVO customer is using the web app. 

This feature is only available on the Indra mobile app.

Kind regards,

Mitch

Badge

Hi all,

Anyone had any update on this Indra lux? 

I’m looking into getting the charger as it also offers the ethernet connection, as opposed to say Ohme’s 3G/4G only connection. Does anyone know what happens to the connection of the Ohme’s pro 3G/4G once their paid plan expires after what 2/3 years?

thanks

Userlevel 7

I wonder if @Berryman21 or @Berryman21 can help with this query @Woz

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Woz 

I can’t comment about the Ohme charger but I imagine you will be offered a follow-on 3G/4G payment plan at your cost in order to continue sending the charger data to OVO.

In my case, I decided to purchase an Indra Smart Pro charger, as their new Lux charger is not yet compatible, which I paid OVO to install.  
Unfortunately, the information initially wasn’t clear and you should be aware that there needs to be a data cable between your meter box and the charger, which you will need to install if you don’t want it tacked up on external walls of your house.  

On the second attempt, OVO fitted a 3G/4G dongle but this was problematic due to poor mobile signal strength in the area around my house, and the readings were not reaching Kaluza/OVO.  
Subsequently, OVO returned, removed the 3G/4G dongle, and fitted a wi-fi connection instead but this has also had connection problems, in fact probably worse over time than the 3G/4G dongle. So I have just purchased a TP LINK wi-fi extender booster unit, from Amazon, which I hope will resolve the lack of uniform connectivity.  However, if that doesn’t work I will have to ask OVO to return and hard-wire the CT clamp to my BT router, which will no doubt come at additional cost but it should resolve the data connectivity issue once and for all.

Indra also kindly investigated the issues with my installation and found that the incoming electricity supply was often outside the permissible limits (>253V), which causes the charger to drop out.  I’m now having to involve UK Power Networks (my area’s DNO) and try and get them to cap, limit or otherwise reduce the incoming voltage, which is causing a further delay to having an intelligent EV charger.  
These intelligent charging systems are fine if they work but the connections seem to be very sensitive and prone to drop-out and/or failure.  

The OVO Drive Anytime tariff is a huge cost saver but only if the data readings are available to Kaluza.  Since installation, I’ve probably spent c £150 more on electricity with OVO, than I should have done, due to the issues described above.  

Badge

Hi @Woz 

I can’t comment about the Ohme charger but I imagine you will be offered a follow-on 3G/4G payment plan at your cost in order to continue sending the charger data to OVO.

In my case, I decided to purchase an Indra Smart Pro charger, as their new Lux charger is not yet compatible, which I paid OVO to install.  
Unfortunately, the information initially wasn’t clear and you should be aware that there needs to be a data cable between your meter box and the charger, which you will need to install if you don’t want it tacked up on external walls of your house.  

On the second attempt, OVO fitted a 3G/4G dongle but this was problematic due to poor mobile signal strength in the area around my house, and the readings were not reaching Kaluza/OVO.  
Subsequently, OVO returned, removed the 3G/4G dongle, and fitted a wi-fi connection instead but this has also had connection problems, in fact probably worse over time than the 3G/4G dongle. So I have just purchased a TP LINK wi-fi extender booster unit, from Amazon, which I hope will resolve the lack of uniform connectivity.  However, if that doesn’t work I will have to ask OVO to return and hard-wire the CT clamp to my BT router, which will no doubt come at additional cost but it should resolve the data connectivity issue once and for all.

Indra also kindly investigated the issues with my installation and found that the incoming electricity supply was often outside the permissible limits (>253V), which causes the charger to drop out.  I’m now having to involve UK Power Networks (my area’s DNO) and try and get them to cap, limit or otherwise reduce the incoming voltage, which is causing a further delay to having an intelligent EV charger.  
These intelligent charging systems are fine if they work but the connections seem to be very sensitive and prone to drop-out and/or failure.  

The OVO Drive Anytime tariff is a huge cost saver but only if the data readings are available to Kaluza.  Since installation, I’ve probably spent c £150 more on electricity with OVO, than I should have done, due to the issues described above.  

Hi and thanks @Berryman21, very helpful (to me) information of what issues you’ve had. 

My wife was on to me to get an install and asap, car is being delivered week today. Luckily I've managed to get an install date of 18 March so not long to wait, but decided to plump for the Ohme home pro which isn’t what I wanted as I've also contacted them via DM on ‘X’ (twitter) they’ve still not got an idea on what happens going forward if they’re to charge or not for the ongoing 3G/4G. May end up eventually having to buy another unit in a few years time, and maybe they’ll be clever and have a wifi connection or even ethernet sorted out by then, but they did quote whatever happens ‘Ohme’ will require a new chargepoint unit for any upgrades ie wifi or ethernet etc. Not an add on, sadly :-(

I’m in a similar situation where the signal is required, but I may be lucky and it drop from 4G to 3G as it’s weak to say the least but maybe dependent on which network it broadcasts to/from. I use EE personally, but also have a 3 network mast not too far away if they use that, so I may well be ok.

I’ve been told I'll need the CT clamp installed, and a new higher main fuse only on 60 atm, as I have to wait for the DNO (Electricity North West) to do the un-looping of the supply and until that time comes ok to use the charger with conditions. 

But thanks for your info, appreciated.

Woz