Solved

Why has my IHD stopped working 2 days after the new meter was installed?

• 9 January 2024
  • 11 replies

Have been trying to sort out problems I have with ovo and run into nothing but problems on chat and phone

I had a smart meter installed just before Christmas and the in home display went wrong 2 days later. Chatted online with someone who advised to unplug the display and leave 24 hours and to use the meter to display current balance by pressing the A  button.  The chat ended and I went to the meter and found no A button l. Tried to use the only one on there but couldn't find anything about ky current PAYG balance. Phoned ovo and spoke to someone about this and then they advised to plug the display back in again. This was done and the balance came up showing that somehow I'd used nearly £20 electric overnight. The heating wasn't on overnight and the only things on were a fridge, a kitchen light, my laptop and my amazon echo show 8. So how did thus amount get used? When I asked the ovo service person about this, all they kept saying was that us the balance show on their screen.

The other problem I have is that I had the warm home payment given to me and received a letter confirming this from ovo saying it would be added to my account on 18/12/2023. After I had the smart meter installed, 2 days later I received an email saying that I should top up my key meter by small amounts so that the warm home payment will be added. Since that email, I have topped up several times and still no warm home payment added!

Left a bad review on trustpilot and received a response from Fionn asking for my account details. Guess what? Still no contact nearly 3 weeks later. Contacted ovo chat and spoke to someone about this and they put me through to PAYG support, the chat said I would have to wait about 10 minutes. Nearly an hour later I gave up waiting.

Have really had enough if ovo. Why have I received such a fad experience with them? Their service us really poor!

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 9 January 2024, 12:21

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Smart Meter commissioning takes six weeks to fully run. You need to allow more time for that.

Your WHD will be applied to the meter automatically - don’t do the key method.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Gokudave,

I’m really sorry to hear this,

Blastoise has given some helpful advice here.

It might be that your meter was put in a ‘non-disconnect mode’ for a period of time which is when the arrears built up. It can take 6 weeks for the meters to fully commission, you can also check your balance in the app. The app balance gets updated once a day after midnight. If you've used energy or topped up since midnight, then your app balance will be out of date. It might also be that your meter isn’t communicating with us, in which case your balance won't update in the app. But your IHD will usually communicate with your meter throughout the day to stay up to date.

Our PAYG topic hub may have some useful information:

Got a question about your Pay As You Go energy use, top-ups, keys, cards, or anything else? Why not see if you can find the answers in our dedicated PAYG Forum category.

There are also tons of helpful resources and information available on our OVO Help pages.  

I wasn't in arrears at all! I had a about £30 on the meter before the following morning

Userlevel 7

The Support Team will be able to look into this for you @Gokudave

• The best way to get in touch with OVO Pay As You Go is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

Well what a surprise. Yet again ovo provide wrong information on their website.

Pay As You Go customers

Phone: 0330 175 9669

Opening hours:

Mon-Fri 8am to 8pm

Sat-Sun 9am to 5pm

Just tried to call, entered my account number and got told they're closed. The web chat is useless, every time you enter your query, it doesn't understand and you just go round and round trying to get through to talk to someone live. 

This really is an impossible company to talk to. SORT IT OUT OVO AND CORRECT THE ERRORS ON YOUR WEBSITE 

Just finished a very long call with ovo warm home payment team. He tried saying that ovo haven't received the payment from the government yet. I searched my emails and found an email confirming that the payment would be added. He then left me on the phone while he was speaking to another department. He didn't say who, I waited for about 8 minutes before he came back to me saying he was on some payment team talking to them about the warm home payment. Waited again and then he said the payment has been added. Checked my meter and it is. I am a very disgruntled customer and he clearly had no experience of dealing with that sort of customer. I used to work in IT and dealt with call centres a lot. It was obvious he was inexperienced. Why did I have to go through all of this and get very annoyed just to get what I'm entitled to and that should've been sorted out nearly 3 weeks ago 

No comments on this @emanuelle_ovo? No surprise really 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This comment was left by a Forum Volunteer. It is not the official response of OVO

We aren’t required to respond to everything posted here - all responses by any Forum Moderator and/or Forum Volunteer are entirely at our sole discretion. There are multiple reasons why we might not respond, but it should never be taken as being malicious or deliberate - sometimes we’re just busy and don’t have time to stop by!

Additionally, we won’t generally respond to comments that are abusive towards us - that’s more likely to result in us ignoring that user than replying to them.

Then perhaps they shouldn't have ovo at the end as it implied to me they worked for ovo. Sorry for any offence

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Forum Moderators are OVO Staff

Forum Volunteers are not 

Ok thank you for clarification