Solved

Pay as you Go meter still showing a debt on the meter after topping up, why is this?

• 2 September 2023
  • 10 replies

Has anyone got any idea what is going on! 

Was with SSE PAYG and received an OVO card. Put £20 gas on worked fine. Said I had £8, £8 emergency credit and the rest owed. This came out of the £20. 

Used the gas then went to use the emergency and the meter said I owed £28. 

Put £40 on today, I have now put my card in again to use my gas and it's now saying I'm another £38 in debt!!! 

I don't understand what is going on. I'm a single mum with a 2 year and had no gas now for a month. I have to wait until I have the money to top it up and all they are doing is taking my money and I still have no gas. 

Any advice would be helpful. I will contact them in the morning. 

I'm so angry I have to wait another week for my wages to put more money on! 

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 4 September 2023, 13:00

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It sounds like there’s a debt on the meter, based on what you’ve described.

Please discuss this with the Support Team. They can advise on your options.

Userlevel 7

It sounds like there’s a debt on the meter, based on what you’ve described.

Please discuss this with the Support Team. They can advise on your options.

Hey @Ailish28,

Sorry to hear of the issues you’re having,

Following on from Blastoise’s post:

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

This topic may be helpful to you:

I recently moved into a new apartment today, I noticed electricity is not working. I checked the meter and found out that there is debit of around £33 on the meter. The company is Ovo. Please kindly guide me through on how to restore electricity as soon as possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please contact OVO about this - 0330 303 5063.

To whomsoever can help me with some answers and ideas.

I recently moved into a new flat. I topped up the second time with £30 on the 22nd Sept and my IHD device showed £19.43 on same day of the top up. I have been seeking for answers from ovoernergy support team on the provided numbers and online chat but never successful . My questsion is where has the £10 gone and if i got charged, what for? Note that i still had some credit left on the same day.

My second question is my ovoenergy app on my phone does not show my energy usage balance. Why is that?

Third question is can l switch from pay as you go  to monthly pay?

Thank you.

Mary 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Maryovoenergy2023 ,

I’m a forum volunteer here. Please be aware that I can’t access your account.

I’m afraid I can’t tell you where the credit went - only OVO can.

As for the app, that data is only available for the Pay Monthly app - the PAYG one is purely for top-ups only. If you speak to the team, they can indeed arrange a transfer to Pay Monthly.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Maryovoenergy2023,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

It may be that there was some debt built up on the meter, or that there was standing charges owed. We don’t have access to your account on the Forum, so you will need to contact the Support Team to find out more. 

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.

If you’re with Boost

Our topic hub may have some helpful information for you:

Hi,

I set my account up yesterday and was assured on the phone that previous debt from the tenant was wiped, yesterday I went to top up gas and electric to avoid going into emergency and the gas topped up fine but the electric keeps declining payment. I understand the amount will probably be refunded back to me as it’s in pending on my bank at the moment and it’s likely not Ovos fault, but I’m waiting for my card to come right now so the lady on the phone gave me my details so that I can top up online in the mean time which is what I’m trying to do now. The gas is perfectly fine, It’s just electric that won’t let me. I’ve been using the top up app to do this. 

any help is appreciated 

thank you so much 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Take the card number to any PayPoint - that should do it.

You’ll also find a barcode in the app - use that at any PayPoint shop and you can try a top-up there.

Userlevel 7

Take the card number to any PayPoint - that should do it.

You’ll also find a barcode in the app - use that at any PayPoint shop and you can try a top-up there.

Hey @fedupofthislol, I’m sorry to hear you’re still having issues, If the above advice doesn’t help, this topic might be useful to you:

My key/card isn’t working – what should I do?

We recommend taking the key/card out of the meter and wiping the chip with a clean, dry cloth. If you re-insert it in the meter and it still doesn’t work, please get in touch with us and we can send you a replacement.

Is your meter showing an ‘error code’ when you insert your key/card? Was there an error code when the shop assistant popped your key or card in a PayPoint terminal? If so, note the error code down and compare it to the list of codes we’ve listed in our guide on error codes here. That’ll help us work out how to fix the issue quicker when you contact our Support team (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm, and 9am to 5pm on weekends).

I've lost my top-up key/card – what do I do?

You can get a new meter key/card from any shop that stocks replacement OVO Energy keys/cards.

But before you go, you’ll need to contact our Support team to let us know you’re going to get a new key/card. We’ll provide you with an 8-digit ‘TAG’ code within an hour. Give this code to the shop assistant and they’ll be able to set up your new key/card with our rates and other relevant information so you can register it when you get home.If you don’t need to top-up urgently, we can send you an already programmed key/card in the post. You’ll get it within 3-5 days.

Before you add any credit with your new key/card, please register it in the meter. If you try to do a top-up before registering your key/card, the credit could be wiped.

If you’re still having issues you’ll need to reach out to the support team. 

If you’re with Boost

Hope this helps.