Solved

Missing PayPoint Payment

• 23 January 2024
  • 37 replies

• Carbon Cutter****
  • 11 replies

Hi, I always pay my OVO energy bill at a PayPoint facility within a couple of days of receiving the paper bill. I paid my bill on the 11.January. 2024, in cash as usual and was given the normal proof of payment receipt by the PayPoint operative. In the following days I kept checking my account to make sure the payment had been acknowledged and updated as paid as usual.
I had previously been told to send in my meter readings on or around the 27/28 of each month which is what I do. On the 21.January.2024 my payment had still not been acknowledged so I emailed OVO pointing this out along with a clear image of my PayPoint proof of payment receipt, which did correctly have my account number on it.

A couple of days later I received a reply to my email in broken English, which acknowledged that they had received my email and could clearly see the details on my proof of payment receipt. The email went on to say that “we should wait a few more days” but it then went on to say that due to the fact the bill hadn’t been paid “ collection activities” would continue and  a very clear threat that OVO share information with “credit reference agencies”.

To say I am furious is an understatement. On the morning of 23.January.2024 I phoned the OVO customer helpline and was told to wait seven more days to see if my payment was updated. The person I spoke to had accessed the image of my proof of payment receipt and said she had it in front of her. She also confirmed that my account number on the proof of payment was correct and said that if after the seven days had passed my payment had still not been acknowledged, that I would have to go back to the PayPoint facility concerned to find out where my payment was. I have already been given a proof of payment receipt by the PayPoint operative. I have been told by a consumer rights agency that it is not my responsibility to have to find out where my payment is, it is OVO’s responsibility to find out where it is as PayPoint is acting as OVO’s agent with OVO’s agreement.

My worry is that OVO will just continue to not acknowledge my payment and just leave it to myself to find out where my payment is and start debt recovery procedures. Can anyone advise me as to what my next step should be ?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by Pagan 26 January 2024, 12:13

View original

37 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Pagan,

I’m sorry to hear this,

Are you pay as you go? If so, the following topics may be helpful to you:

Pay monthly do not offer the option to make payments via paypoint. The website lists the acceptable payment methods here

Hi, I send my meter readings in monthly and pay the bill when it arrives. Despite the fact I have sent OVO an image of my PayPoint, Legal Proof of Payment receipt, which they acknowledge they have received and can clearly see, OVO continue to deny I have paid my bill.

Legal Proof of Payment 

Thanks for your reply any further advice would be greatly appreciated. How do I deal with a company that won’t accept Legal Proof of Payment  in front of their eyes.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Pagan,

Are you pay monthly? 

If so, we don’t accept PayPoint payments.

Or are you pay as you go? If so you may need to use the UTRN Code on the receipt to put the top-up through the meter manually. If you’re having issues with this you can contact the Support Team. 

How to get in contact about my OVO Pay As You Go account

• The best way to get in touch with us is via chat here. Just click the green chat icon on the bottom right of your screen. We’re here to help anytime from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 2pm on Saturday.
  • Or call us on 0330 175 9669 during the same times.

If you’re with Boost

Hi Emmanuelle

Yes I do pay monthly and yes you do accept payment through PayPoint. I have always received a monthly bill and always paid through PayPoint. For the purpose of clarity I have included some images of my bill and the information on it and also an image of my PayPoint Legal Proof of Payment for the bill totalling £107.28.

*photos removed by moderator*

I have also been in touch with PayPoint Ltd and I sent them  a digital copy of my PayPoint Legal Proof of Payment supplied at the time of the transaction. They emailed back and said from the information on my Legal Proof of Payment they were indeed able to confirm the transaction was completed correctly and that OVO needed to accept this.

I feel I am up against a company that now has all the evidence needed in front of them by their own acknowledgement but still is in denial that my bill was paid in full on the 11January.2024. I am beginning to feel that I am dealing with crooks to put it mildly. 
I now intend to contact the company owner's team to try to escalate my situation to try and achieve some justice before I am forced to involve lawyers. I don’t know what else I can do to be honest.

Thanks for you reply, I appreciate it.

Hi Emmanuelle

Could I ask why my image highlighting the information stating that you can indeed pay your monthly bill through PayPoint has been removed ?

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That would be because of me. I detected personal data in that image and flagged it for removal to protect your privacy and safety.

Please be careful - this is a public forum, not a private space.

Ah ok, this image should be ok as it contains no personal information but shows clearly that you can pay your monthly bill through PayPoint.

Thanks 

Image of acceptable methods of payment on my monthly bill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Try pulling down a newer bill. That used to be an option, but it may have been removed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oh, and according to my site monitoring tools… The current “How To Pay” article on OVO’s website has never listed PayPoint or Giro Bank Slips since my tool first detected it in July last year. It keeps an eye on changes to sites I’ve programmed it to monitor and tells me about them - there’s no record of such a change in its database.

That is my latest bill received in January 2024 and paid at a PayPoint store on 11.January. 2024. I have been in communication with PayPoint regarding this transaction and they have confirmed the transaction took place and is valid. They also said that OVO should be of initiated the “missing  payment” protocol to establish where my payment is. 
I as a customer,  shouldn’t be have to go through stress and worry. I had a threat that debt recover will take place and OVO will “share information” with credit references agencies. I’m beginning to get the impression I’m dealing with fraudsters not a respected energy company….

My latest bill, generated on 2.January.2024. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Pagan,

I’m sorry for the issues you’re having,

I think the support team are best placed to assist with your query as they have access to your account. 

As far as i’m aware, we don’t offer the option of paypoint for pay monthly customers. I’ll ask for clarity internally. 

Hi Emmanuelle

I have already been dealing with the Support Team. I have sent them digital copies of all documents including my Legal Proof of Payment. They have acknowledged that they have received all the documents whilst I have been speaking to them on the phone. One operative told me on the phone that she had my digital copies in front of her on a screen. 
Despite all my emails and phone calls and supplying evidence of my payment, my OVO account stills shows the bill (£107.28) as unpaid. I’ve had threats that “debt recovery” will be initiated and that OVO may share information with “credit reference companies” .

I’ve also been communicating with PayPoint and supplied a digital copy of their Legal Proof of Payment which I received at the time of payment from them. They have emailed to say my payment transaction was completed and is valid. 
The OVO support team have not helped in any way and are still in denial regarding my bill payment, what further evidence do they need before they take responsibility and update my bill/account as paid in full ?

Can you suggest what my next step should be ? Do I now have to employ lawyers to take this to the courts ? 

Thank you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Try pulling down a newer bill. That used to be an option, but it may have been removed.

It is on their latest bill that is in dispute

Yes, the bill image with your last question is my most recent bill £107.28. If you look at the section on the right, second down from the top 

“Pay In Branch” you will be able to see that it states “you can pay by cash at a PayPoint store” this is the method I have always used and the method I used to pay the bill in question. 
Below is my Legal Proof of Payment from that transaction and you will also be able to see that the barcode number on the bill and the number on the Legal Proof of Payment match.

I have been in communication with PayPoint and they have confirmed by email that there investigations have shown that the transaction was completed and verified correctly. 

Legal Proof of Payment dated 11.January.2024

Hello 

I’m in the same situation as Pagan. Paid my bill £195 on 11.01.24 at PayPoint shop and OVO lost it. Never before had such an issue. OVO support gave me 10 days time frame to sort this out (locate my payment) after another contact time frame stretched to 28 days!

Can someone explain what’s happening?

Hello 

I’m in the same situation as Pagan. Paid my bill £195 on 11.01.24 at PayPoint shop and OVO lost it. Never before had such an issue. OVO support gave me 10 days time frame to sort this out (locate my payment) after another contact time frame stretched to 28 days!

Can someone explain what’s happening?

If OVO don’t accept PayPoint any more so why I haven’t been rejected at PayPoint? Payment was accepted and I do have a receipt to confirm that.

Legal proof of payment dated 11.01.24

*photo removed by moderator*

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve just had to flag multiple posts in this thread again for revealing account numbers. Please use caution - that stuff can allow someone to hijack your account.

I have been looking on the Forum and see that people are have problems with OVO saying that the made a payment and OVO state that they have not received their payment.  I have also had the same problem.  I made a payment for my own and my Mums OVO account and when I check our accounts it says the amount is still outstanding.  This seems to follow a pattern as I also made payments on 11th January the same date as other people on the forum, maybe OVO had a blip on their system on that date.  I have emailed copies of receipts to OVO who say they will look into this.  I also contacted Paypoint where I made the payment and they say the payment was successful and I should ask OVO to follow their 'missing payments' process. Also I have been into the Coop where I made the payment and they say that other customers have been having the same problem. 

I have been looking on the Forum and see that people are have problems with OVO saying that the made a payment and OVO state that they have not received their payment.  I have also had the same problem.  I made a payment for my own and my Mums OVO account and when I check our accounts it says the amount is still outstanding.  This seems to follow a pattern as I also made payments on 11th January the same date as other people on the forum, maybe OVO had a blip on their system on that date.  I have emailed copies of receipts to OVO who say they will look into this.  I also contacted Paypoint where I made the payment and they say the payment was successful and I should ask OVO to follow their 'missing payments' process. Also I have been into the Coop where I made the payment and they say that other customers have been having the same problem. 

Hi. Hope that all them payments finally become acknowledged by OVO. Otherwise need to wait few more weeks before I can report it to Ombudsman. As we all have the proofs of payments I think will be pretty straightforward case for the Ombudsman. After all the hassle with OVO will be looking for compensation cos we haven’t done anything wrong and lost our nerves and plenty of time to sort this out. Thanks OVO for taking a good care of customers who pays their bills on time.

I spoke to a lady today who was very helpful.   I checked my account online and thank goodness matter now resolved showing that payment has been received 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Debbief 

Really glad to hear you were able to get that matter sorted and the money is now on the account.

If you’ve ever any questions in future, please don’t hesitate to pop back to the Forum.🙂

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi. Hope that all them payments finally become acknowledged by OVO. Otherwise need to wait few more weeks before I can report it to Ombudsman. As we all have the proofs of payments I think will be pretty straightforward case for the Ombudsman. After all the hassle with OVO will be looking for compensation cos we haven’t done anything wrong and lost our nerves and plenty of time to sort this out. Thanks OVO for taking a good care of customers who pays their bills on time.

Hi @Mac1982 

Have OVO sorted out your issue yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Really glad to hear you were able to get that matter sorted and the money is now on the account.

It’s still a bit confusing, Abby: is PayPoint now an acceptable payment method or not?

The help article doesn’t mention it, Emmanuelle says it’s not but the bill clearly says it is. Some of those affected say “I always pay my OVO energy bill at a PayPoint facility.

Could it be that these recent instances of PayPoint failure were just a temporary fault like that affecting card payments? 

Clarity for all concerned, now and in the future please!