Solved

Is there a price difference on the Simpler Energy Plan if paying by Direct Debit or On Demand?

Are there different rates for OVO customers on the Simpler Energy plan who pay by direct debit compared to those who pay on demand? I have seen a few posts that mention paying by direct debit is cheaper by approximately £200 per year, but does this apply to OVO or is this in reference to other suppliers? I currently pay by direct debit but nowhere on my bill does it state that there is a discount for paying by direct debit. 

I understand that bills are higher in winter than summer, and that charges have increased. I have factored this into my workings. I am not interested in OVO helping me to budget as I am able to do this myself. I just want to know if there is a financial penalty with OVO for customers on the Simpler Energy plan who cancel their direct debit and pay bills on demand. For information, I have smart meters for Gas and Electric, so readings are automatically sent monthly and my OVO account is currently over £1000 in credit. 

Many thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 1 October 2022, 19:01

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 06/10/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

This does indeed apply to OVO, and the difference is roughly £150 to £200 cheaper via Direct Debit. It’s applied to the unit rates and standing charges directly, so there’s no discount listed as a line item.

Thank you. Where can I find the rates for customers who pay on demand? 

What are the unit rates and standing charges for OVO’s Simpler Energy plan for customers who do not pay be direct debit?

Badge +1

If you can see some of my other posts i’ve Linked to the EDF prices where the distinction is clear. Under the OFGEM review the difference was £215 per annum for an average user, but the EPG has reduced this, perhaps to £150.

Badge +1

I’ve not seen the tariffs explicitly, but paying on Demand is £150 more expensive for the average user.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@CDovo12

Worth checking to see if the rates have already been updated on your account 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@CDovo12 if you pay on demand you probably know more than us ! Have a look at your plan and the rates will be there. It does depend on your geographical location but I think I’m right in saying that most of us answering questions on the forum will be paying via Direct Debit so will only know our own rates (which will be cheaper!). Let us know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@CDovo12 at the moment you would have to contact OVO and ask them.

They don't publish their rates online so there is no where to look and no one on this forum has all the OVO rates for all the regions

Vote for this idea if you think it is useful and add any comments to the idea about things you would like to see.

Userlevel 7

Hey @CDovo12,

If you are waiting for your new rates and they haven’t yet been updated online, OVO will be in touch.

@CDovo12

Worth checking to see if the rates have already been updated on your account 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

Please keep an eye on your emails. There is more information about this topic here:

Energy Price Guarantee

For more information about what OVO are doing to help customers with their rising energy costs please see here.

Hope this helps. 

I'm current on Simpler Energy - Economy 7 and paying by direct debit. 

OVO have now tried to increase that direct debit amount to £272, despite the fact that I've never used more than £181 in a calendar month.

I've spoken to the useless customer support representative and have decided that I want to cancel the direct debit and pay my monthly bills by debit card.

Does anyone know what roughly the additional cost, if any, will be if I pay it this way?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

On average it’ll cost you an extra £200-250 a year to pay on-demand.

Thanks Everybody On This Ovo Forum greatly appreciated