Tutorial

How does OVO Energy calculate my Direct Debit?

How does OVO Energy calculate my Direct Debit?

Show first post

89 replies

I tried to call the like 3 times today even waiting for an answer on the live chat. I don t want to dd freeze i just want to pay the same amount without the increase.I don t use even in the winter £400 and i do have a smart meter for 2 years so i presume they can see that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

In that case, the best time to call the Support Team is after 4pm, as things tend to be a bit calmer towards the end of the day.

Badge +1

@Jess_OVO 

many customers think their DD is too high and / or that they are maintaining excessive credit balances. Does OVO have statistics that show the average credit balance of customers, how many are in credit compared to Debit etc. You used I think to pay interest on credit balances, which was an excellent idea. But you don’t allow pay on receipt of bills by DD, whereas other suppliers do.

all adds up to an impression of a less than caring supplier. Please post answers to each point in turn.

Userlevel 7

Hi @meldrewreborn and can I just say that it’s nice to see a new and helpful face round these parts. There’s 5 or so forum members that have been essential in helping posters of this forum needing urgent help and advice, and you’re one of them. I’m sure everyone you’ve helped is just as grateful. 

Does OVO have statistics that show the average credit balance of customers, how many are in credit compared to Debit etc.

I can confirm I have no access to figures of this kind. Credit balances and payment amounts are managed by a software platform built by our sister company, Kaluza. The aim of this software is to keep customers out of debt, by their contract end date if they’re fixed in, or for 12 months if they're on the variable plan. The calculations for the variable plan uses available prices which in this case includes the October price cap. 

You used I think to pay interest on credit balances, which was an excellent idea. But you don’t allow pay on receipt of bills by DD, whereas other suppliers do.

all adds up to an impression of a less than caring supplier. Please post answers to each point in turn.

We still do offer interest rewards for some customers. I’ve asked for the latest around eligibility as I heard it suggested that it wouldn’t be scalable to offer the incentive to every new customer joining from other brands within OVO Group.

As I’m sure you appreciate I’m removed from strategic decisions around things like whether to offer this or that payment method, and therefore not able to comment with any facts. Just my own opinions if I think it would be helpful. I suspect it’s the same reasoning for Direct Debits on receipt of bills: it might not be scalable given winter spikes in usage and the increased risk of debt over that period. OVO needs to be a sustainable business to make the kind of decarbonizing changes we’re aiming to make for itself and its customers. 

In response to your suggestion that OVO is a less caring supplier, I’d point you to OVO’s 10 point plan to address the national energy crisis

Yes we know that prices have gone up, yes we know our bills will be bigger, we have turnmed the heating down, and or off completely some of the time, use the fire to heat one room mainly.

I have just looked at MyOvo and the algorithm is suggesting nearly £600pm in payments when I currently pay £150 and am nearly £500 in credit….

Let’s all have a laugh, what are they saying about your bills and DD?

I have a friend who’s supplier suggested an ibcrease from £180 to over £400 and he was £700 in creadit at that point..

I dare the mods @Jess_OVO et al to tell us their horror stories too...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Two can play at that game! :P

#worksfineforme :)

Yes we know that prices have gone up, yes we know our bills will be bigger, we have turnmed the heating down, and or off completely some of the time, use the fire to heat one room mainly.

I have just looked at MyOvo and the algorithm is suggesting nearly £600pm in payments when I currently pay £150 and am nearly £500 in credit….

Let’s all have a laugh, what are they saying about your bills and DD?

I have a friend who’s supplier suggested an ibcrease from £180 to over £400 and he was £700 in creadit at that point..

I dare the mods @Jess_OVO et al to tell us their horror stories too...

I pay  £269 per month dual fuel , im currently over three months D/D payments in credit to the tune of £818.28  , and i have just sent off an e mail complaining about the same ridiculous  overcharging  me based on an overestimation of what im using.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

On your other recent post you’ve said you’ve had problems with your new smart meter so once that’s sorted and your regular use pattern is re-established the dd will settle down. I was on the Apollo legacy billing system too, if you mention that as soon as you get onto the OVO customer support it will help. I got through to the Sunderland team (that was a few months ago) and they got my account sorted out.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Yep, I recognize this situation.

I was lucky enough to switch to a 2-year fixed rate tariff in early 2021, before prices started rising so alarmingly, so I haven’t felt the pain many users have been feeling recently. However, in a few months’ time, I expect to be moved on to the Standard Variable Tariff. Barring major changes in the January 2023 price cap, this will involve a £50 increase¹ in my monthly bill according to Switch your gas and electricity to OVO today. I would expect the Direct Debit (DD) calculator to take this into account, but it doesn’t.     

For the past five years , our benevolent government has blessed me with a Warm Home Discount to my electricity bill each November. I would expect the DD calculator to take this into account, too, but it doesn’t.

The calculator is just not good enough in its present incarnation. Users have to make their own careful calculations to work out how to arrive at a healthy credit in a year’s time, then try and persuade OVO to honour them. Good luck with that. 

1.  … so long as I don’t ever turn the heating on, that is.

I was lucky enough to switch to a 2-year fixed rate tariff in early 2021, before prices started rising so alarmingly, so I haven’t felt the pain many users have been feeling recently. However, in a few months’ time, I expect to be moved on to the Standard Variable Tariff. Barring major changes in the January 2023 price cap, this will involve a £50 increase¹ in my monthly bill according to Switch your gas and electricity to OVO today. I would expect the Direct Debit (DD) calculator to take this into account, but it doesn’t.     

For the past five years , our benevolent government has blessed me with a Warm Home Discount to my electricity bill each November. I would expect the DD calculator to take this into account, too, but it doesn’t.

The calculator is just not good enough in its present incarnation. Users have to make their own careful calculations to work out how to arrive at a healthy credit in a year’s time, then try and persuade OVO to honour them. Good luck with that. 

Fully agree with your post. I have been with ovo energy some 17 months now , and despite my 12 month contract coming to an end in May this year , then going onto the variable rate with price rises , as you say the calculator doesnt take into consideration many facts.

Using the comparison and checking my monthly bills over the period , i am way down in what we are using regarding to our dual fuel ( mild weather so far , cutting down )as well as receiving the government help.

To be three months plus worth of direct debits at the higher rate in credit in my personal situation is crazy. A flawed calculator overcharging us by direct debit racking up vast sums of our money in credit.

I want ovo energy to supply gas and electric. Not for them to be an interest free savings accout holding large sums of my money  .

I have sent off an e mail complaining to ovo. My next step if i get no response will be to rack things up and complain to ofgem. Simply isnt good enough.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I have sent off an e mail complaining to ovo. My next step if i get no response will be to rack things up and complain to ofgem. Simply isnt good enough.

Hi

In case it helps

Ofgem doesn't handle complaints. 

It is the Energy Ombudsman

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

You need to wait 8 weeks or ask for a dead lock letter from ovo

I suggest it is best to phone OVO rather than email given the elapsed time to deal with emails, as 61% of complaints are resolved by the end of the next working day. You might find things are sorted very quickly that way.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Fully agree with your post. I have been with ovo energy some 17 months now , and despite my 12 month contract coming to an end in May this year , then going onto the variable rate with price rises , as you say the calculator doesnt take into consideration many facts.

Using the comparison and checking my monthly bills over the period , i am way down in what we are using regarding to our dual fuel ( mild weather so far , cutting down )as well as receiving the government help.

To be three months plus worth of direct debits at the higher rate in credit in my personal situation is crazy. A flawed calculator overcharging us by direct debit racking up vast sums of our money in credit.

I want ovo energy to supply gas and electric. Not for them to be an interest free savings accout holding large sums of my money  .

@craig mc In case it helps

You can phone up OVO and ask for a refund of some of your credit. It is only online that the system requires 3 month work of direct debits left in your account if you are on the variable tariff. 

I have done it in the past just fine. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @PF898,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

The Online Account will tell you exactly how your direct debit is calculated. We’ve got a great guide about this topic here:

If you believe your direct debit review to be too high, it may be that your estimated annual consumption (EAC) is incorrect. This can be caused by a read dispute or us not having enough actual readings. 

The more readings we get, the more accurate the EAC will become because of our living billing system.:

You can contact our Support Team at any time and get a refund of the credit on your account, but if you’re on a fixed contract you will be required to leave one months direct debit in there, as you pay monthly in advance.

If you call our collections team they can put your account on a direct debit review suspension, meaning your direct debit will not be increased or reviewed for the next three months. 

Hope this helps. 

Ok thanks very much for your help .

@craig mc In case it helps

You can phone up OVO and ask for a refund of some of your credit. It is only online that the system requires 3 month work of direct debits left in your account if you are on the variable tariff. 

I have done it in the past just fine. 

Just an update mate.

Phoned ovo , and they were very helpfull. Refunded me £300 of my credit , and lowered the direct debit from £269 to £231 which is what i asked for.

Put me on a three month suspension of any direct debit increase.

result.

thanks again for your help and advice.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@craig mc good to hear it is sorted. 

Given that ovo have accurate daily meter reads provided by me backed with photographic evidence for both gas and electric. And I've been supplying daily E reads electronically as well as personal reads from the new not so smart meter that we had fitted recently (another thread) and that our account is £500 in credit with DD unchanged for over two years. My original post was focused on the fact that the suggested DD should 4x higher than current. I spoke to a service agent. Following this the DD recommendation reduced to current level. I checked again earlier this week and surprise surprise the DD recommended had once again been set at 4x the current rate.. Honestly I just treat it like a comedy of errors now... 

Despite the data both historical and upto date the system fails...

Userlevel 7

Hey @PF898,

Sorry for the issues you’re having.

As we don’t have access to your account, I can only speculate as to what may have happened here. 

Can you check the direct debit calculator on your Online Account, what part of the calculation looks incorrect? Could this be to do with an Estimated Annual Consumption (EAC) that is too high? 

As we have a live billing system the more readings we receive the more accurate the EAC will become. Unfortunately, for the time being your predicated direct debit will be based on this calculation.

You can contact our Collections Team to put your account on a three month hold, meaning your direct debit won't be reviewed or increased for this period. This should give enough time for the EAC to become more accurate. 

It’s likely because your meters not been in communication, which of course is frustrating and through no fault of your own, we’ve not had regular readings.

Or, if you’ve recently switched suppliers the industry has sent us an out of line EAC. Or the meter reading used to open your account was incorrect and a read dispute was required. 

Hope this helps. 

Honestly at this point I’m running a calculaion each month, getting a running total and checking our payment/balance. As long as Ovo keep to the terms/prices in my Ovo portal and consumption is within my payments and credit I’ll just let it be. I look in every couple of days just to amuse myself with system logic and update the reads.. 😄

You can’t make this up, I’ve just gone back in to check something and my electric consumption charts are not displaying!!!

and now after 9 refreshes it’s back...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sounds more like your browser cache messed up than anything else. It happens sometimes. Not much OVO can do about that I’m afraid.

Yeah, that's what I figured but why it only seems to happen on the Ovo portal. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hard to say. Your corrupted cache will expire eventually though.