Solved

Gas supply to our flat has been disconnected awaiting repairs. Do I pay standing charge during this time?

• 27 July 2023
  • 2 replies

The gas supply to our apartments has been disconnected awaiting repairs.  Do I have to pay standing charge during this period?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 28 July 2023, 10:25

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @L Biggs ,

The answer to that is maybe. I’d recommend having a word with your supplier as they might figure something out with you over it. Obviously, you won’t rack up usage charges during this time.

Userlevel 7

Hey @L Biggs,

I’ve found the following advice which may be helpful to you:

If a customer wants us to remove their meter

A customer may want to disconnect one or more of their supplies. This could be due to: 

• Moving to electricity only
    • So the gas supply can be disconnected
  • Remove electricity supply to an outbuilding
  • A building that was previously converted into flats being converted back into a single occupancy home
    • So only one supply will be needed 

Removing supplies they don't need could save the customer paying a standing charge they don't need to.

About the standing charge

Customers pay a standing charge for each MPAN and MPRN (Supply Number) that we supply. If there's no electricity or gas going to the property, they won't need to pay a standing charge for that supply. But we'll need to check the meter and connection to the building is in a certain state first.

Gas

The customer needs to have the meter removed before they can stop paying the standing charge. Please contact OVO to remove the meter if we are the supplier, well then update the national database. 

Whilst the meter is still onsite, there will be a standing charge and we won't be able to voluntary withdraw from the supply (even if it’s capped).

Hope this helps.