Solved

Does OVO offer a change from monthly to quarterly billing?

Show first post

41 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid that’s the way the world works these days. What may have worked 40 years ago doesn’t always mean the same methods work today.

You are of course welcome to see if any other supplier will offer quarterly billing, but I doubt there’ll be many.

It appears that instead of getting quarterly bills, We now get monthly ones. Thanks to OVO.

So unless we do a comparison (from S.S.E.) before we were unceremoniously switched to OVO. We have no way of knowing if we are paying more for the privilage of serving O.V.O. (Obviously. Vastly. Overated)!🤑

They gotta keep their shareholders happy!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @parcel 

The post has been set as a question but I can't see what the question is. Feel free to post again if you require any assistance.

Marking “As cant be done” is a poor excuse. I was switched from SSE. I was not given a welcome pack, only on the account did it explain anything and that was bills would be rolled into one. That is perfectly fine. 

BUT, and this is a big but, for me personally monthly is not an option. To be asked to pay each and every month is not practical in my situation. 

I understand this is too gauge why people want quarterly and I think asking that is a bit invasive about peoples finances. 

But for the purpose of this thread, here are my reasons.

My bills have always been quarterly. There is a reason for this. My finances are set up to pay things like my car service, Water bills, Tax, vets, etc etc on different months. I have 2 months money to sort these things out and a little left for saving for things for emergencies. Then the 3rd months money was always put aside for my energy bills. I never had an unpaid bill, no meter fitted, no ccjs. Always paid. So its not a case of cant pay, its a case of cant pay each month. 

My finaces work because I plan for them to work. I save, and pay my bills. Always have. Im disabled so very little income. So having 2 months money to pay extras, as above, along with clothes, bulk food shopping, birthdays etc then one month living on very little has helped me save and live sort of okish. But now being asked to pay every month, means Im broke every month and no extras for other bills as expalined above.

I simply cant do it. I have just paid nearly £700 for car service, MOT and Insurance. This month. I CANT NOT PAY MY OVO BILL this month, I can no problem next month, even if its £700/800/900 . This is available every 12 weeks for my bills. 

To say energy companies need to pay their bills each month is NOT OUR PROBLEM! you are not putting customer need first. You send out emails saying ring us, we will do all we can to help, but then do not. 

I rang OVO, Migration and even started a twitter to see if quarterly would be acceptable. All I got was NO. I can not move energy suppliers yet as none are taking new customers. So what does OVO expect people like me to do? Get a meter, go hungry, have no car, limited food, etc ect. When someone CAN PAY, just not as OVO want, that is distressing and stressful. Yet emails say you dont want us to have to worry. Well I am stressed and worried. I coped perfectly well before and prepared for these increases by clearing anything that normally would be paid every 3 months, so my 3rd lot of money each quarter was wholey for OVO. I expect this response will do nothing. As big companies do not care about us little people. Next move is complaint I guess, the ombusman.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Andi67 and thank you for sharing your thoughts and reasoning for quarterly billing. 

It make sense, and I wish I could offer you assurances here and now that your once-every-3-months payment method is available. I’m unable to here, but I’d recommend you consider calling our ‘Collections’ team, and set up a payment arrangement. Get them on: 0800 0699 831. I’m hopeful that a payment amount and a payment date can be agreed that works for us both.

It’s worth bearing in mind that prices are set to rise for all Simpler customers. If you’re on a fixed plan, when it ends the prices available are likely to be much higher. It’s critical that you know how much your costs are, as early as possible, to avoid a debt building up very quickly. It makes it much harder to do this when we only have 4 shots at getting it right a year. Hence why monthly tends to be preferred for both customer and supplier alike. In fact, most companies have a monthly payment schedule. We’ve got a really good page on financial help and support here if you haven’t had a look I’d recommend it.

I hope that helps and that we’re able to get something sorted for you,

Tim 

HELP-

I am a former SSE customer.

OVO are issuing monthly invoices.

Why are they doing this & pursuing payment when not paid on time?

I’m financially comfortable, though find paying monthly an irritation.

Can I change back to quarterly payments, or are they better deals out there?

I note companies such as Uswitch are re advertising- which surprised me- in the current climate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @theWASP ,

I’m one of the forum volunteers here on the OVO Forum.

Unfortunately, quarterly bills and payments are being phased out by most suppliers and monthly is ultimately better not only for cashflow, but also for keeping your account on track. You might want to consider setting up a Direct Debit to make things a bit easier - which will also mean you won’t get chased for non-payment because it’ll automate everything for you.

If you’re having trouble, feel free to call the team on 0800 069 9831 and you might be able to discuss an alternative arrangement.

Thanks for that-

I do not need any help- as stated in my post, I’m financially comfortable- which means, I have more money & assets- than I can spend- over my remaining months/years of life.

I don’t do direct debits- never have. No one controls my money- other than me. Recent events has shown recipients of DD’s to be controlling DD payment amounts- no thanks.

I received my first electric, water & gas bills- almost fifty years’ ago now, & paid every one in cash- on the quarter- at a post office counter. Many people like to - go with what they know & are comfortable with- big tech should give thought, respect  & acknowledge such.

With escalating fuel prices, I assumed price comparisons to be an irrelevance, yet note such businesses have begun to re-advertise on TV etc.

OVO nor SSE had the courtesy to advise me that- my billing period would be changing from quarterly to monthly, hence, when time allows, I shall look for another supplier- borne of dissatisfaction. If one can’t be found in the short term so be it, but I shall bear no loyalty to OVO.

When UK train fares went through the roof (around 15 years ago) I stopped using the trains- & not stepped onto a train since. With the recent hike in petrol prices- I stopped using my cars, & now use taxis, buses- or hire a care- when needing a vehicle for a week or two- it’s much cheaper.

If the the electricity price hike continues- I'll go live in my mobile camper van RV. You can only take- some of us- for fools- a short time.

Thanks for that-

I do not need any help- as stated in my post, I’m financially comfortable- which means, I have more money & assets- than I can spend- over my remaining months/years of life.

I don’t do direct debits- never have. No one controls my money- other than me. Recent events has shown recipients of DD’s to be controlling DD payment amounts- no thanks.

I received my first electric, water & gas bills- almost fifty years’ ago now, & paid every one in cash- on the quarter- at a post office counter. Many people like to - go with what they know & are comfortable with- big tech should give thought, respect  & acknowledge such.

With escalating fuel prices, I assumed price comparisons to be an irrelevance, yet note such businesses have begun to re-advertise on TV etc.

OVO nor SSE had the courtesy to advise me that- my billing period would be changing from quarterly to monthly, hence, when time allows, I shall look for another supplier- borne of dissatisfaction. If one can’t be found in the short term so be it, but I shall bear no loyalty to OVO.

When UK train fares went through the roof (around 15 years ago) I stopped using the trains- & not stepped onto a train since. With the recent hike in petrol prices- I stopped using my cars, & now use taxis, buses- or hire a care- when needing a vehicle for a week or two- it’s much cheaper.

If the the electricity price hike continues- I'll go live in my mobile camper van RV. You can only take- some of us- for fools- a short time.

Hello. 

I feel the exact same way. I have also paid my bills quarterly for nearly half a century.  If it was good enough for SSE why is it not good enough for OVO. I've tried swapping and am on waiting lists to swap. 

I put in a complaint via this site, and I have not even had a courtesy acknowledgement. Terrible customer service. Don't listen, just advise “If you are struggling” blah blah, I like yourself am not struggling. 

I have a system and it works. I guess OVO have never heard the saying if it isn't broken ….. 

I was moved from SSE 2 Dec 2022. Since that date a bill was made available online. one month. With SSE I was billed quarterly. This was a surprise so I phoned OVO. Believe it or not they could not find if a bill had been issued even though my account online allowed me to down load that bill. I asked how often my bill would be issued and was told it would be quarterly, yet my account is stating enter reading on 29th Jan for accurate bill. The same request was on for my bill 2nd Dec - 1st Jan. I did this on both 29th and 30th of Jan yet they used an estimated reading for !st Jan. Yes I accept 1st Jan is included in my bill but why ask for a reading before, they should be asking for a reading on every date included in the bill. I will never allow OVO to be in a position to estimate my bill.

I have still received no official confirmation of the frequency for my bills. Also when moved from SSE I was told during a phone call that I would be receiving an email containing details of the switch, terms and conditions of my account etc, plus a welcoming package through the post. Guess what? Nothing.

I will finish off with the question. Will someone from OVO please tell me officially how often I will be billed and please don’t tell me to try help, complaints or anywhere else in OVO, I have done that. Get the CEO out of bed and into the complaints department.

Help-help= help- help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Userlevel 7

Hey @JGANLEY,

Sorry to hear this,

I’ll get someone from Forum_Support to reach out to you, please keep an eye on your private messages. 

Thankyou.....You have me there....where do I view private messages. Not found everything on the site yet.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thankyou.....You have me there....where do I view private messages. Not found everything on the site yet.

Click on your icon, top right corner on the image below as an example, then you should see Private messages.  OK? 

Good stuff, nearly 80 and still learning

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good stuff, nearly 80 and still learning

With age comes experience 😊

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I'll need to know the exact day he's coming as all our meters are securely locked up due to yobs turning off power, we're on the first floor, really dangerous  if you're on the stairs.

We were told that we were moving over and nothing else, they'll be cutting us off as we have to save the money up every three months, we've only just paid our quarterly  bill last month, all our other money us spoken for for other bills, I don't think they get that.

I know we may bave to put up with it, but like I said, if we can't pay it will affect our credit score too.

Hi @Whizzy 

I am just a customer like you. There are a few of us that try and help out when time permits.

I like OVO but appreciate some peoples finances work better with quarterly bills. I am not moving from OVO at the moment. 

Personally i find monthly budgeting easier.

I haven't checked the whole market recently, but i did contact EDF this week. They are still offering quarterly billing at least at the time of asking for me. This is not a recommendation and you would need to double check they would make the same offer to you. I think you would need to phone up rather than get a quote from their website. I doubt you could get quarterly billing via their website. I agree with @Blastoise186 i doubt there are many suppliers still offering quarterly billing.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. Keep us updated as it may help other customers. 

Just to add some up to date info to the forum.

Although EDF offered quarterly billing at the time of the original post, they dropped it over the summer 2023 even for their existing customers

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-12239881/EDF-quietly-axes-quarterly-billing-option.html