Solved

Smart TRV's - are they worth it to add to a tado smart thermostat and boiler control?

• 16 December 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yesterday I got an email from tado, telling me that “As a thank you for being with OVO and tado°, we are giving you a 40% discount in the tado° shop. It will be deducted automatically at the checkout.
Complete your tado° home with more Smart Thermostat Add-ons and heat each room individually. Save more energy and money.

That brings one down from £74.99 (which always seemed ridiculously expensive) to £49.

But when I look on Amazon, and in the tado branded shop there, all single smart TRVs are 47% off at £39.99. 

So the email offer at £49 after discount isn’t good.  Even on a 4-pack it is £162 compared to £159.96Please OVO stop tado from making special offers that are anything but special!

We already have TRVs (not smart but set to different temperatures) and I can’t see how they’d save me enough to recover that outlay, which would only cover the 4 bedrooms.

I’ve searched the forums, but cannot find anyone posting about their experience and any actual benefits from using Tado TRVs linked to their tado controller.  I’d love to learn from any other’s experiences.

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 16 December 2023, 19:00

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @EverythingNeedsAUserName , we don’t have the tado units but a similar Bosch system. 
We tried the smart TRV’s to have a few different zones around the place but in the end have removed them all. 
What I found - might depend on property and set up - was that the various controls ended up fighting each other as they switched and called for heat at different times. 
Ultimately we now have all the TRV’s fully open and weather compensation turned off on the boiler and everything seems more stable 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @EverythingNeedsAUserName , we don’t have the tado units but a similar Bosch system. 
We tried the smart TRV’s to have a few different zones around the place but in the end have removed them all. 
What I found - might depend on property and set up - was that the various controls ended up fighting each other as they switched and called for heat at different times. 
Ultimately we now have all the TRV’s fully open and weather compensation turned off on the boiler and everything seems more stable 

Thanks for sharing.