Should I invest in solar PV panels, a home energy storage battery... or both?

• 25 January 2022
  • 29 replies

Show first post

29 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I think the name of game is to use solar to charge battery with over night imports form grid if needed. Was with Ovo's EV everywhere but have switched to 4 hours at £0.075 kWh. You do need a large battery for winter when low solar. The round trip with Tesla battery is 10% loss. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Incidentally @M.isterW over the time we’ve had our system, I would now say that solar PV pays back quicker and more effectively than battery storage although the option to charge off peak is obviously a game changer with battery added. 
I think I saw earlier or on another thread something about the losses or efficiency of converting solar to battery and then use which is why I’d recommend solar before battery. 
It’s also why I still hesitate to move my peak use without an off peak incentive although I will look very carefully once our current contract ends

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’ve been pondering this question - with a heat pump the winter electricity use goes up hugely just when the solar output would be at its worst. But charging a battery during off peak times relies on the tariffs being available. If the battery didn’t last the whole day then peak time costs could be astronomical. Probably the best thing to spend on would be more insulation.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’ve been pondering this question - with a heat pump the winter electricity use goes up hugely just when the solar output would be at its worst. But charging a battery during off peak times relies on the tariffs being available. If the battery didn’t last the whole day then peak time costs could be astronomical. Probably the best thing to spend on would be more insulation.

Agreed - insulation (cavity wall, loft etc), draft proofing is key. You can get battery storage to last a whole day but what isn’t said a lot is the peak output level that you can get - do it’s important to factor that in as well otherwise you might still use power at peak times.