Skip to main content

Hi, 

The UK Gov has announced a payment for those single energy customers on oil fired heating apparently that's being delivered by energy suppliers but how is this going to work, OVO don't know I have an oil boiler, so what hapoens

Gary

Aye just have to wait and see, it's welcome though, our previous bill was 460 for a 1000 litre fill, post the recent rises our last fill was triple that and domestic heating oil isn't  regulator capped at all its pure market price. 

Have you joined the oil club? Worth checking out as they are generally cheaper than you buying oil as an individual or via boilerjuice. Google the oil club for info

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/money/alternative-fuel-payment-schedule-update-28908496.amp

This is the first place that I have found any info on help with oil costs via Electricity providers,

I guess we will have to wait until February for any announcement regarding how to access this grant

Let’s hope someone in the government is working on it…

Hi Tim_OVO - so, have you managed to discover how OVO will establish which of us qualifies for the £200 payment that becomes due in February? 

Hi Tim_OVO - so, have you managed to discover how OVO will establish which of us qualifies for the £200 payment that becomes due in February? 

we all need to keep pushing them on this - it’s not good enough...

I have an oil fird boiler and an Ovo account for my electricity

I understand Ovo make the alternative fuel payment to my account BUT how does Ovo know I have an oil supply? Do I have to complete anything for Ovo?

@Joannehiscock the latest update from the government is that you won't need to apply in the majority of cases and the £200 money will start to be paid from 1st February via your electricity supplier. 

There isn't yet any more information available unfortunately about timing or the process. The government have taken a long time to sort out unfortunately. 

Asking your local MP to push for more  information to be published may be worth a go. 

Hey @Sussex Phil and @Madmjh,

The government advise isn’t clear on that yet. For all information on what they have outlined so far, check out the GOV website.

Does OVO have any active role in this or are you just waiting for civil servants to sort it all out?  Are you involved in any consultations with government or do you have any proposals as to how alternative fuel users can be verified prior to you issuing payments? 

I don’t think OVO can do much until the government finally figures it out.

Hey @Sussex Phil,

It’s a government scheme, so as with the Energy Bills Support Scheme and the Energy Price Guarantee we’re awaiting more information from Government.

I’d advise keep checking back on the GOV website and I will make sure this thread is updated once we have more information. 

Hope this helps. 

As its March and I have’nt seen any new information, I did a longer trawl through the GOV.UK site. I read the  Domestic Alternative Fuel Payment(AFP) information for electricity suppliers document, from January 2023, this includes a method for identifying customers eligible for the alternative fuel supply grant. The document contained a link to a spreadsheet of postcodes where there is no gas supply.  I was dismayed to find that my postcode is not on the list, even though I live in a 200 year old house in a village where there is no gas supply! Has anyone started to receive payments, I have heard that EON have started to implement AFP.

If you were not notified of an automatic payment, it looks like you will have to apply although the form to do this is not on line yet https://www.gov.uk/get-help-energy-bills/alternative-fuels

https://www.gov.uk/apply-alternative-fuel-bill-support-if-not-automatic