Solved

Indra Smart Pro does it now work with the Indra app on Charge Anytime?

• 6 September 2023
  • 25 replies

Badge

Hi there, I am still using the web-based Indra portal to set my charging times with Charge Anytime.  This was the advice given as at the time of installing my charger, a few months ago, as there was a compatibility issue with Kaluza and the latest Firmware of in Indra Smart Pro. Has this issue now been resolved?  If so, can I now download the Indra App and connect my Indra Smart Pro so that I can use with the Charge Anytime tariff to set charging times. Thanks, Gary

icon

Best answer by Abby_OVO 8 September 2023, 10:33

View original

25 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I recently asked Indra exactly this, and on 31 Aug the answer I got was:

“In regards to the OVO Charge Anytime tariff integration with the native Indra app, we still do not have a confirmed date but it is actively being worked on”. 

Ho hum!

Userlevel 6

Hey @Gary_M 

Sorry to hear about this, I’ve asked the team for an update on this, but it sounds like MikeyB has recently been in touch with them and has advised of what they said.

I’ll pop back on here when I hear back from the team.

Userlevel 6

Updated on 01/11/23 by Tim_OVO:

There are now two ways you can get Charge Anytime:

You must have an eligible EV or Smart Charger, we’re constantly looking into ways to broaden eligibility of this product so if your technology isn’t currently on this list keep an eye on our page for updates! 

Hey @Gary_M 

I heard back from the team and they confirmed that the Charge Anytime add-on is only available with the Kaluza web app (so the online portal you’re already using). They don’t have any update at the moment on a timeframe of making Charge Anytime available with the Indra app or for the development of a Kaluza native app, but if we do hear any further updates on this in future from the team, we’ll pop back on here to let you know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You could always just cheat and use Apache Cordova to make a “mobile app” out of the web app. :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

The problem with this from my point of view is that the web app is pretty basic in functionality and lacks the nice features that I was expecting to be able to use.

I've been getting this "actively being worked on" line from Indra for 5 months now and I think it's time progress was made. I paid a premium price for an Indra rather than an Ohme, in the expectation it would be worth it, and frankly I'm beginning to feel ripped off!

Userlevel 7

Hey @MikeyB,

I completely understand why you feel this way. Our smart home team are going to keep us updated and when progress has been made we’ll update you on this topic.

I want to add my voice to this - the Indra web app is basic. OVO need to move faster on this so that the charge anytime is compatible with the INDRA APP.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I want to add my concern here as well

the biggest issue is the lack of security the web app gives us 

we are unable to lock the charger meaning if I was to be away from home someone could park on my drive, connect to charger and charge for free, with me being hit with the charge 

This is a pretty big security issue and one that makes me consider to leave OVO

Userlevel 6

Hey @Lividihard 

Let me pass this feedback on to the team. All feedback is appreciated, so thank you for sharing this with us on the Forum.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Abby_OVO is there any updates on this as I am considering my future as an OVO customer based on this serious lack of security functionality 

Badge

I’m having the same thoughts, had the Indra “smart charger” installed at a premium for 3 months now. No real App, Engineer out several times due do connectivity issues, won’t charge smartly so I end up on the normal rates……it’s a joke

Userlevel 2
Badge

I've had no problems getting charging sessions at Charge Anytime rates for the whole 10 months I've had the Indra, at least.

Userlevel 6

Hey @MikeyB 

Glad to hear you’ve been able to charge no problem for the last 10 months. Any hints or tips you’ve stumbled across that may be helpful for some of the other users here experiencing issues?

@Larma75 @Lividihard 

Sorry you’re both experiencing some issues with Indra and Charge Anytime.

I’ve reached out to the Charge Anytime team to ask them about this, I’ll pop back here with any updates they have for us.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Abby_OVO ,

Tips?

1. Keep it simple. I set the maximum charge level needed in the car, and the required ready by time in the Indra web app. Nothing else needed.

2. If your Indra was installed by Charged EV, don't bother trying to get tech support from them - go straight to Indra. 

​​​​​3. Check the charge has registered with Charge Anytime. It should be instant, but if the Indra (or the Kaluza back -end) is playing up, it might not show up for maybe 12 hours. If still not there after that time, contact Indra tech support. 

Cheers

Mike

Userlevel 6

Thanks @MikeyB 

Hopefully that might be helpful for you both @Larma75 @Lividihard.

I also heard back from the team, unfortunately it’s still the web based version at the moment. We're hoping for it to be integrated with the Indra app soon but we don't have a timescale at the moment.

As soon as we have more updates such as a timescale, we’ll be sure to update this and any other related threads.🙂

Userlevel 1
Badge

Security is my only issue I can charge fine

if there is no fix within 3 months I will be leaving OVO, that will have given more than 6 months to get a timeline for a resolution 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Lividihard,

I’ll raise this with the team and see what they advise. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Lividihard,

I got a response from the team:

No sorry, still the web based app. We don't have a timescale on when the Indra standalone app will be compatible unfortunately

Userlevel 7

Indra are a third party and they have the right to make their own app. They are working on a charge anytime integration for it.

General advice for customers with this issue from the team:

Indra have got more than one platform that they use to control their chargers.There's the Kaluza/Indra web portal that has a username and password and is compatible with Charge Anytime. They've also recently brought out their newer App that isn't compatible with Charge Anytime yet, that you log into via an email.

Indra are able to move your charger across to the web portal and set you up with a username and password. You can reach them on 01684 770 631 or at support@indra.co.uk.Then when you have a username and password follow this link in a Google Chrome incognito and follow the instructions on screen to link your Indra charger to your OVO account. You'll need the web portal Username and Password at the last step for the blue Kaluza box.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Indra are a third party and they have the right to make their own app. They are working on a charge anytime integration for it.

General advice for customers with this issue from the team:

Indra have got more than one platform that they use to control their chargers.There's the Kaluza/Indra web portal that has a username and password and is compatible with Charge Anytime. They've also recently brought out their newer App that isn't compatible with Charge Anytime yet, that you log into via an email.

Indra are able to move your charger across to the web portal and set you up with a username and password. You can reach them on 01684 770 631 or at support@indra.co.uk.Then when you have a username and password follow this link in a Google Chrome incognito and follow the instructions on screen to link your Indra charger to your OVO account. You'll need the web portal Username and Password at the last step for the blue Kaluza box.

Its very disappoinitng to see the lack of understanding of what the actual issue is here and any sort of attempt or desire to resolve the issue.

We all understand the mandatory use of the Web Portal to control the charger because the Indra App does not support Charge Anytime.

The issue with the Web App is we are unable to lock the charger from use by anyone other than us as home owners.

Lets imagine a scenario, I have left home for the day and the drive is empty, I have a neighbour who has an EV but no home charger and decides to park in my drive, connect to thew charger and use the boost button. They are now getting a free charge as they wont pay anything it will be down to me as the OVO Customer to pay this.

For me this is a major security breach and I would like the ability to lock my charger to prevent unwannted use.

Now yes the scenario above is not guranteed to happen but its a risk I would rather avoid happening

Due to OVO’s lack of want to resolve this in a timely manner, I will now be making the decision to leave OVO as a customer and will be moving to a competitor due to the serious lack of security OVO want to provide its customers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

But by the same token, it’s completely impossible to lock a regular outdoor socket to prevent use. In my personal view, there’s not much difference between this issue - which can and will be fixed - and an unlocked outdoor power socket that someone could just hook random EV’s (or anything else!) up to and leech from your electricity supply.

As a cybersecurity professional, this is something I consider low risk. While it’s not impossible to do, the chances of someone doing it are extremely low. Same as on trains - there’s a specific offence (abstracting electricity) related to charging your phone on a train from a non-public power socket. Tons of trains have them and they’re just oh-so easy to access because they’re never protected or locked against unauthorised users - yet hardly anyone ever touches them!

Badge

I’m having the same thoughts, had the Indra “smart charger” installed at a premium for 3 months now. No real App, Engineer out several times due do connectivity issues, won’t charge smartly so I end up on the normal rates……it’s a joke

I’m in the same boat. Set up the web app had charged anytime plugged in last night.

Nothing.

There was a clicking sound when I checked on it, but later it had white lights, ready to charge.

Woke up this morning, nothing.

J

Userlevel 3

Hi @Bristolhibby,

I’m really sorry to hear this. Is your car not charging at all or are you just not receiving the Charge Anytime rates?

Badge

Hi @Bristolhibby,

I’m really sorry to hear this. Is your car not charging at all or are you just not receiving the Charge Anytime rates?

I plugged in and overnight has 4.1Kwh added to the car. Not what I expected from being plugged in for 8 hours.

Like I said, there was a clicking sound from the Indra charger, and the white lights were flickering. However this settled down, the web app said idle, waiting to charge, but bar the 4.1Kwh, nothing. Had to boost charge just to get to work.

I would also be interested in seeing how I get some money back as I had to boost rather than use the charge anytime rate as advertised.

Many thanks

J

Userlevel 3

Hi @Bristolhibby,

I’m really sorry for the issues you’ve been experiencing.

I’m going to have our Forum_Support team reach out to you so they can help you further with this. Look out for a private message here soon: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview.