Solved

Why is overnight usage on smart meter and In Home Display (IHD) so high?

• 29 September 2017
  • 10 replies

My smart meter was installed yesterday and at 7.40 this morning my Electric usage was 42p & Gas usage was 28p. Even taking into account Fridge/Freezer, Broadband, TVs on standby overnight 42p electric seems high. The gas at 28p is a bigger mystery as no gas was used overnight ( heating is off at the moment) Does some of the cost include a daily standing charge? Can anyone shed any light on this please?
icon

Best answer by stateofit 30 September 2017, 19:37

I think it includes the standing charge, like 27.4p per day... that'll do it...

plus VAT that's 28.77p per day.

Tadaa :)

(a friend of mine and his partner went away for 6 months and switched everything Off. like Everything... When they got home the energy monitor showed that 28p per day on the elec. She Properly went off at him for leaving something on, til they worked it out...)

Updated on 12/07/2019
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I think it includes the standing charge, like 27.4p per day... that'll do it...

plus VAT that's 28.77p per day.

Tadaa :)

(a friend of mine and his partner went away for 6 months and switched everything Off. like Everything... When they got home the energy monitor showed that 28p per day on the elec. She Properly went off at him for leaving something on, til they worked it out...)

Updated on 12/07/2019
Thanks - just one more question... Is there a standing charge for gas & a separate one for electric? Even allowing for refrigeration etc the electric was 42p when I checked it at 07.40.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
yeah it's 27.4p per day per supply... so you need to account for around 13p between midnight and 07.40. That's entirely possible with fridge-freezer and anything else on standby...
That's great - thanks a lot for the replies - much appreciated! 😎
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hello again. We're on Simpler Energy Variable. We've had a Smart Meter installed for our gas and electricity. We wanted to know if the reading every day includes a standing charge, as in the morning, around 6am., it always shows around 50p or more, and nothing's been on overnight bar some stand bys and the fridge. We assume the amount showing, therefore, must include a standing charge as well as the fuel used?

Thanks!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hello again. We're on Simpler Energy Variable. We've had a Smart Meter installed for our gas and electricity. We wanted to know if the reading every day includes a standing charge, as in the morning, around 6am., it always shows around 50p or more, and nothing's been on overnight bar some stand bys and the fridge. We assume the amount showing, therefore, must include a standing charge as well as the fuel used?

Thanks!

Hey @buzzhunter,

I've moved your topic to this thread where you'll find the info you need!

Hope this helps,
Nancy
Having got a Smart Meter, I'm getting obsessed with useage. Some mornings I wake up and we've spent just 48p and others, it's £2.60 !!! I can't work it out. Could it be laptops and phones plugged in even when laptops are in sleep mode? We spend a fortune on gas/electric every month - in January it was £200 !!! Only a 3 bed house with 2 people living in it - end terrace so nothing huge. Just can't keep spending this amount. Think it's more the electric than the gas that spikes like this. Any advice/clues appreciated!
Hi

That sounds very strange. Can you see if its mostly electricity or gas?

If its electricity usage, £2.60 overnight (assuming that's in about 8 hours) would equal around 30p per hour, which is around 2kW (2000 watts) of electricity per hour. That cannot be from anything on standby, it is equal to the amount used by a typical electric heater.

A phone or laptop on standby would only use a few watts at most. (My laptop only uses 30 watts when it is switched on).

Are the days when this is happening colder days? Are you leaving any heating on overnight? Do you have an immersion heater for hot water that is this being left on? Are you running a washing machine overnight?

One other possibility although it would not explain all the usage– do you have a freezer in a shed or garage. I had one in my garage and most do not work correctly when the room they are in is at a temperature of less than 10 degrees C. Freezers should switch themselves on and off to maintain the temperature inside however if the outside temperature is low they can run all the time – I had to move mine back indoors! Check out google- there are one or two models designed for lower temperatures.

If all else fails, it may take some detective work – switching off different appliances until you track down what is causing this.

I hope this helps.
Hi - thank you for that. Nope to all of that except the fridge and freezer. Both are in my kitchen which is in an extension which gets v cold. Maybe it's that! OR maybe the remote smart meter just isn't accurate (which is what OVO re saying to me). Can't put the freezer anywhere else unfortunately. I could leave a low level plug in oil/electric heater overnight in the kitchen on low near the freezer but surely that would use more electric than the freezer constantly trying to re-freeze? It's very strange. And very expensivE!
Hi

Just a few more ideas...

If its only the meter that is inaccurate why are you getting high bills? If you look at your monthly bills how much is gas and how much is electricity? Can you compare how much you are using in the winter compared to the summer. In winter gas should be much higher if you are using it for heating. Electricity usage will increase but not as much. If you log into the OVO website and look at your usage graph you can compare it to other people with similar house sizes- what does this show?

How cold is the kitchen getting? I suggest getting a max/min thermometer- quite cheap on Amazon to see how cold the room is getting- and compare the temperature to the environmental specification for your fridge and freezer- if in doubt call the manufacturers help line. Leaving a heater on would not save any money and I dont think its a good idea to leave portable electric heaters on at night unattended- I think its a safety issue.

However if the kitchen is getting that cold it is probably draining the heat from the rest of the house and leading to higher heating bills anyway. Is it possible to improve the insulation in the walls/roof? This would save reduce you monthly bills and save money in the long run.

It may not be the fridge or freezer that is causing the problem- I still suggest turning other appliances off in turn to check that they are not causing the problem. Also see if you still get high readings now the weather is warming up- if you get these high readings in warmer weather its something else.