Solved

Confused by savings figures as shown on the App

• 24 March 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hello,

New user here...…

Just charged from my new podpoint last night, plugged in at 2100 and plugged out at 0800.

Both my car and podpoint apps show 25kwh put in at 30.45p therefore roughly £8.

The charge anytime figures are showing 14.9 kwh and £3. Are theses figures both savings figures ?

Can I take it that some of my overnight session was at normal rate as at £8, I would have thought a £5 saving would be shown ?

Cheers 

Paul

icon

Best answer by Dark 27 March 2023, 12:02

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

It can be tricky to correlate your charge session with the credits you see in the Ovo app because Ovo works out the usage based on the total for the previous charging day.

Say your charge session started at 2100 and used 5kWh before midnight and 20 kWh after midnight, then when you finish the session in the morning Ovo looks at the previous day’s numbers and credits you for the 5kWh. Why doesn’t it add the other 20 kWh? Because it calculates daily credits and it doesn’t know if 20 kWh is your full day’s usage yet. Then when you charge tomorrow it will know that you have no more usage to report for today, and your credits for today will appear.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi all, new OVO customer and new EV owner here. I've upgraded to the charge anytime tariff however the app doesn't support my car (Kia Niro EV 2023), my charger is listed (Ohme home pro). I think I've managed to connect that as it is showing "charge anytime 10p" in the tariff section. My question really is does the charger work in the same way as the app? I'm only asking as I charged roughly 50kwh yesterday and the charger said the cost was £5.06, but my I've app says it was roughly £20.. anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Dave

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

You will be charged what it says in the app but then you’ll receive a credit from OVO at the end of the month. 

Badge

I've had an Ohme Home Pro Smart Charger since last May and registered for Ovo Charge Anytime.

In July/August I noticed that the units of energy stated in the charging stats page of the Ohme app didn't seem to match what I expected. So I started off a charge at midnight so it charged overnight when very little energy would be used by the house.

The following morning at 6 30am I took a photograph of the In House Display (IHD) and a screenshot of the Ohme app BEFORE the charger plug was removed. Once the plug was removed I took another screenshot of the Ohme app. The energy used as indicated by the IHD was slightly higher than the Ohme app pre plug removal. However, both of these figures were much higher than the post plug removal and charging stats figure. I also calculated the energy that should've been used in the charging session by multiplying the battery capacity by the percentage charge. For example a 50% charge of a 110 Kwhr battery would take approximately 55 Kwhr.

From this point onwards I kept records of all the charging sessions performed and contacted Ohme about the problem - the amount of energy recorded in the charging stats and subsequently sent to Ovo is much less than that actually used. The consequence of this is that Ovo calculate your rebate using the stats supplied to them by Ohme, so it will under calculate the true rebate by about a third.

Ohme have dragged their feet for months over this issue and despite making an official complaint nearly 2 months ago, it's still not resolved.

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

Userlevel 6

Hey @Phil Smith 

Sorry to hear about this.

I think it might be worth also contacting the Charge Anytime team about this so they can also take a look into things, you can email the team at chargeanytime@ovo.com. Feel free to share with them what Ohme had to say as I’m sure this might help them.

Badge

Hi all, new OVO customer and new EV owner here. I've upgraded to the charge anytime tariff however the app doesn't support my car (Kia Niro EV 2023), my charger is listed (Ohme home pro). I think I've managed to connect that as it is showing "charge anytime 10p" in the tariff section. My question really is does the charger work in the same way as the app? I'm only asking as I charged roughly 50kwh yesterday and the charger said the cost was £5.06, but my I've app says it was roughly £20.. anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

Dave

Be very wary of the Ohme Home Pro chargers accuracy. Mine was displaying a certain number of units consumed for a charging session, but when the charging socket was removed from the vehicle the figure dropped by about 30%. The lower figure was the one reported to Ovo on the charge anytime EV tariff. This meant that, for example, instead of being charged 7p per unit on a 60 unit charge (£4.20), it would be 7p for 42 units (£2.94) and 28p for the remaining 18 units (£5.04), total £7.98. Therefore I was getting charged nearly DOUBLE the correct figure. It took me many months to get Ohme to accept there was a problem, despite providing them with compelling evidence from my Smart Meter and from calculating the theoretical consumption of a charging session.